Just wow...

#41GarudinPosted 11/9/2012 2:18:00 PM
AuraOfSouls posted...
Keith_Dragoon posted...
AuraOfSouls posted...
spectreSD posted...
Haha, at least you're not the couple who named their kid Dovahkiin.

Also, at least he can go by Al if he doesn't like it.

Please tell me the Dovakinn thing is true. >_<; That would make my day.

http://mashable.com/2011/11/17/skyrim-baby/

/daymade

Simply Epic!

Thank you

That is pretty awesome and honestly I'm surprised more people didn't do this I know I would have. The thing to remember is the parents could always get the reward then have the kids named changed the next day to something more normal if they wanted(also for the flamers tell me you haven't seen people do much dumber stuff with/to their own children)

Also about the Altair kid I think if the person did this they should enroll their kid into martial arts and also into some place that teaches parkour, then he would be the most epic kid of all time. Also with kids now a days growing up on games and TV I don't see him getting bullied so much as the kids would probably get and like the reference
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea
#42spectreSDPosted 11/9/2012 2:19:36 PM
Not at all, if anything you are for reading too into Rushdown's post and coming to that conclusion yourself. It's a cultural standard to name your children in your own language. English parents aren't going to name their child Od'om'bokele, and Nigerian parents aren't going to name their child Justin.

What sort of ordered bubble do you live in? A lot of people name their kids stuff from other cultures. When I was a kid I had a Thai friend named Alan. My old boss, who was Mexican, named his son Jared (which is Hebrew in origin). The name Andre is French in origin, but is common for both black and white (non-French) people. The name Anthony is Italian but I've met people of many different ethnic backgrounds with that name. There is an Indian comic whose real birth name is Russel Peters. I can go on and on.

Hell, if you go to a site that gives origins of names, one of the first things you should notice is just about all of them have uses in many languages and cultures.

Lastly, lol@"cultural standard." I didn't realize you were a master of sociology and cultures of the world.
---
http://i52.tinypic.com/30sab0i.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZaclG.gif http://i.imgur.com/iu23I.gif http://files2.fliiby.com/images/_original/tp1822gz3k9.gif
#43EnzoF66057Posted 11/9/2012 2:19:50 PM
My opinion on the matter is that Altair is an awesome name but I personally would not name my child it. For reference, I'm 22 and have no intentions of children anytime soon, but of course an awesome name like that has crossed my mind in such a fashion.

My problem is that I'm Israeli, so naming my kin Altair, although as awesome of a name as it is, wouldn't go over too well with the family. Likewise, I wouldn't be to comfortable with it either due to the ethnicity.

Having said that, I do love the name and I do intend to one day own a dog that I will name Altair, along with a dog named Spectre. That's my plan for the name and my opinion on the subject. I think ethnicity does take some precedence in naming your kin, but of course to each his own. In my particular case, my family isn't very stringent like that, but it would be a bit off color of me to do it.

TL;DR

Altair clashes a bit with my nationality, so I'm saving it for my dog some day.
#44KajexXIVPosted 11/9/2012 2:24:48 PM
spectreSD posted...
Not at all, if anything you are for reading too into Rushdown's post and coming to that conclusion yourself. It's a cultural standard to name your children in your own language. English parents aren't going to name their child Od'om'bokele, and Nigerian parents aren't going to name their child Justin.

What sort of ordered bubble do you live in? A lot of people name their kids stuff from other cultures. When I was a kid I had a Thai friend named Alan. My old boss, who was Mexican, named his son Jared (which is Hebrew in origin). The name Andre is French in origin, but is common for both black and white (non-French) people. The name Anthony is Italian but I've met people of many different ethnic backgrounds with that name. There is an Indian comic whose real birth name is Russel Peters. I can go on and on.

Hell, if you go to a site that gives origins of names, one of the first things you should notice is just about all of them have uses in many languages and cultures.

Lastly, lol@"cultural standard." I didn't realize you were a master of sociology and cultures of the world.

Was your Thai friend born and raised in Thailand? Doubt it, he was most likely born and raised in Euro-English culture. If you live in a Euro-English country, you disproved your own point because everyone you listed is living in Euro-English culture.

I'm not claiming to be some genius at this, it may seem that way relatively to you, but you can literally just go outside and see this for yourself.
#45Muffins_And_PiePosted 11/9/2012 3:31:32 PM
Ask your family, not gamefaqs.
---
---
---
#46SythisTaruPosted 11/9/2012 3:43:19 PM
Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda, due to the game. What about Desmond or Conner? :P
#47ChancreScolexPosted 11/9/2012 3:45:08 PM
_Rushdown_ posted...
Is it racist to recognize that there are names that are race-specific in our culture (and others)? Honestly do you think that Shaniqua is an appropriate name for a white girl? Altair would be equally ridiculous.

Shaniqua isn't an appropriate name for any girl.
#48Bondo_6464Posted 11/9/2012 3:46:26 PM
I personally wouldn't do it because i'd get tired of constantly trying to say the name in the right accent. Would eventually get butchered into All-tire.
---
Crom...
#49deadpool223Posted 11/9/2012 3:52:10 PM
do it.
---
honk HONK honk HONK http://i.imgur.com/NztEG.gif. :33 < fus ro paw,
#50SkippyjonJones1Posted 11/9/2012 3:57:40 PM
Go for his full name, Altair ibn la-ahad. If you're gonna do it, go all the way!!!
More topics from this board...
Nine men's morris problemNairel227/22 12:34PM