Quirks about the game

#1BringMeASunkistPosted 11/15/2012 1:09:22 AM
I wish the cinematics were rendered it real time. It sucks buying costumes and seeing Connor wear the default one in all the cinematics. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only AC game that forces pre-rendered cinematics, bc didn't the others reflect your armor?

Optional objectives were a train wreck. Rather than enhance gameplay or difficulty, they seemed to expose inconsistencies or problems in the game's core mechanics. They were very frustrating and often required a very linear route the developer's set up, destroying the option for sandbox gameplay. As far as sandbox games go, this one is quite linear.

The horse navigation was abysmal. I liked it in previous games but it was always flat in those environments. I love AC3's densely populated wilderness but with that come so many opportunities for that horse's collision to get stuck in. Straying from any path and horse navigation became a nightmare in this game. That really should have been adressed.

The crafting menus are pretty confusing. That tutorial early on made little sense to me because I could progress, but I couldn't back track within the tutorial, meaning it taught me little and I had to educate myself through trial and error later on.

Hunting is cool and functions very well but being one of the primary sources of income, gets tedious fast. It also doesn't really feel consistent with what AC is, as a game. Especially how necessary it is in this one.

I found the games plot very confusing. My mother is a colonial historian so I consider myself quite educated on the characters of this entry, but I also found myself confused quite often. Maybe it's because I ran around doing all the collectibles between missioms that I never was fully immersed in the narrative.

Collectibles served as a way to enhance length, but i dont honestly beloeve many collectibles enhanced the game for me, personally. They were tedious and unrewarding.
#2chakramstrikePosted 11/15/2012 3:07:55 AM
And I agree 110% with everything you said.
---
GTs: 360 - Chakramstrike; PS3 - yunalesca26
#3Martin PaganPosted 11/15/2012 3:58:43 AM
"Maybe it's because I ran around doing all the collectibles between missioms that I never was fully immersed in the narrative."

This so very much. The amount of side activities to do in this game, coupled with the time it takes to get to some of them (even with fast travel) or get them done, really makes me forget why I'm doing the things I'm doing in the first place.
---
"I had no idea there are so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet" - S. Lem
XBL/PSN gamertag: Poganin
#4BringMeASunkist(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 6:47:35 PM
Add fast travel to that list. I can only fast travel to the end of the region, and having to walk through a "gate" to get to the next region creates a barrage of loading screens. It's like the touch tone mazes you have to navigate through before you can talk to a real person while calling Comcast.
#5FelixFelicisPosted 11/18/2012 6:54:01 PM
I agree with most of these. The optional objectives are often ridiculous, craftng is confusing to learn and ultimately nearly useless, the Shard of Eden is the only cool reward in the game for side missions, and horses are absolutely brainless in this game.

I don't care about the cutscene outfits, it's due to the new engine and its more detailed textures, apparently it would have used too much memory to load whatever outfit you are wearing. Then again I wore the normal outfit and color through the whole story.

Hunting never really changes, but I still enjoy it. It invokes a really cool atmosphere that's very fresh for AC.

The story was not as thoroughly exlained or well-paced as it was in AC2, but I found it much better than in Brotherhood or Revelations.
---
"I am Consus, the Erudite God" - Giovanni Borgia, reawakened
#6FelixFelicisPosted 11/18/2012 6:57:14 PM
BringMeASunkist posted...
Add fast travel to that list. I can only fast travel to the end of the region, and having to walk through a "gate" to get to the next region creates a barrage of loading screens. It's like the touch tone mazes you have to navigate through before you can talk to a real person while calling Comcast.

Not sure why this happens for you. It is possible to fast travel to any fast travel station, harbormaster, liberated fort, and every connection between two areas. That said, sometimes they do not show up on the map.
---
"I am Consus, the Erudite God" - Giovanni Borgia, reawakened
#7Charley-BrownPosted 11/18/2012 7:05:50 PM
BringMeASunkist posted...
Optional objectives were a train wreck. Rather than enhance gameplay or difficulty, they seemed to expose inconsistencies or problems in the game's core mechanics. They were very frustrating and often required a very linear route the developer's set up, destroying the option for sandbox gameplay. As far as sandbox games go, this one is quite linear.

Yes, this is my biggest problem. I've hated the optional objectives ever since they were introduced in Brotherhood, but some of the requirements in this game were absolutely infuriating. Still, at least you don't need the restart the entire mission when you mess up now.
---
~ http://www.Moozipan-Cheese.deviantART.com/ ~
- XBL Gamertag: Moozipan Cheese -
#8tragik00Posted 11/18/2012 7:06:58 PM
For fast travel I zoom out and then zoom into let's say Boston then pick a fast travel spot.
---
psn:tragik1
xbl:tragik00
#9Valentino16Posted 11/18/2012 7:12:59 PM
the optional objectives are definitely my biggest peeve.

"Instead of doing things a your own creative way, here's the one seriously frustrating path that will allow you to complete the mission with full sync. Hope you like restarting from the checkpoint 15 times!"
---
GT: Obstreperosity
"Zur-En-Arrh"
#10BringMeASunkist(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 10:22:37 PM
Perhaps it was personal taste, or a lack of paying attention, but for a good while I was confused by the "ghosts" talking to Desmond. I had forgotten about how they explained their fall at the end of AC2, or was it Brotherhood? Either way, without the refresher course I was confused and bored whenever the hologram ghost was talking. Desmond was an interesting character, his teammates were decently well developed, and his side mission in present day were a fantastic change of pace. But those ghosts, man...

I'm not going to spoil, or even allude to the ending, but I'll say I feel like Ubisoft meant for it to be more significant than it was.