What's with the love for Brotherhood?

#21Alex_Sage(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 11:24:50 AM
WarBeagle posted...
If so, then why the hell is the series so popular?

It's very strange. Not many people talk about this game. It's somehow escaped the radar of trolls following games like Halo and CoD.

I sometimes forget how popular this game is it's not reflected on these boards at all.
---
"I am not in danger, I am the danger." Walter White
Gamertag: Cpt of Industry
#22bobbyrkPosted 11/20/2012 11:39:07 AM(edited)
Realist2615 posted...
Alex_Sage posted...
Haha, well you can always tell because this topic will die pretty quick unless we start getting into a massive flame war. Quick, HATE ME.

If your brain was chocolate it wouldn't fill an M&M.

Have we maintained the hate quota?

But seriously. All I hope to see from this series is a return to its roots. I'm very attached to it, mostly because of the story... But the departure from the style of the first game is sort of saddening.

I know this will be either extremely difficult or literally impossible because they won't be able to please everyone that way. They've diversified their player base so much that I think all we can expect to see is this middle of the road type gameplay from now on.

Could always lean from either really good to god awful, though. So I'm cool with that.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MatthewLoPresti/20101217/6470/Assassins_Creed_The_Failed_Hashshashin_Simulator_and_its_Aftermath.php
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#23y000012500Posted 11/20/2012 11:36:43 AM(edited)
Alex_Sage posted...

It built on Brotherhood and was not in Italy. MUCH better setting, graphics, gameplay, music.

Well, for one, I disagree with all of this. It added more stuff , but I wouldn't say it built upon Brotherhood.
1.The bombs made alot too easy.
2. You were given the best weapons and armor very early in the game. I didn't buy anything from the blacksmith that I actually used. The pacing in general was just bad.
3. The hookblade made combat alot worse than the standard double blade, and made alot of treking around the city tedious to me. The animations while climbing just seemed worse too.

The game itself was also just inconsequential to Demond's story really. For the most part, aside from some key points. Not to say it wasn't interesting getting more detail into Ezio's and Altair's lives.

Brotherhood however, was an actual improvement upon everything in AC2. It was solid, nothing game breaking, and great pacing. Plus, it was an unexpected joy. When a multiplayer AC game was announced, I didn't expect a very good single player, let alone one that was actually important to the series. The game could've been called AC3 if not for the fact that 3 was supposed to end the series.
#24Realist2615Posted 11/20/2012 11:43:47 AM
WarBeagle posted...
Realist2615 posted...
Both games were extremely boring and unpolished, even when compared to AC2. They barely even served a purpose at all, other than perhaps meagerly tying people over for AC3.

Imagine our surprise when we finally get the next numbered AC title and it's just as glitchy as Brotherhood and Revelations.

Other than that, it blows all of the other games away in every area.

What I am getting from this is that AC2 is the only legitimately good or great game in the series. If so, then why the hell is the series so popular?

Not necessarily.

What I really am trying to say here is that I believe the first game was the peak and maybe even set a standard or two, and AC2 was a very strong sequel. However, Brotherhood and Revelations didn't have the same energy or love put into it as either of the first two numbered titles. This is more or less to be expected. They were annual releases. I'm not faulting them for that, but it doesn't forgive them either.

What I'm saying boils down to this: AC1 was innovative, accurate and breathed much life into the genre. AC2 was a fairly strong sequel, though changed a lot of things. Some welcome, some not. Brotherhood and Revelations then further strayed from what greatness they accidentally created with the first two. AC3 is showing signs of returning to that, though. (In my opinion.)

I just don't think ACB or ACR were very good games in general. That's from a fan who is trying to look at them for what they are, and it's only my opinion.

If I absolutely had to explain the title's success, I'd say it's still mostly riding Ubi's coat-tails from the first two games, and that they redeemed themselves a fair bit with AC3.
---
Currently Playing: AC3, FFXI(Que.), FFXIII-2, GGXXAC+, LoZ: Skyward Sword, MW3, Valkyria Chronicles
#25Dr_MojoPosted 11/20/2012 11:57:18 AM
Brotherhood was a far superior game to Revelations. Better setting, better plot, more interesting characters, better side missions, longer single player campaign, better tomb/lair sequences, etc.
#26rascal45Posted 11/20/2012 12:48:59 PM
And didn't Revelations "punish" you by raising soldiers' awareness when you purchase shops in liberated areas. So, you buy some stores, run around for wanted posters, and town criers to bribe to lower the awareness. Repeat the same process. That was a step backward.
---
Nao-chan....*sniff* I'm against girls binding their breasts like this... Teddie (Persona 4 Arena)
#27bobbyrkPosted 11/20/2012 12:58:12 PM
rascal45 posted...
And didn't Revelations "punish" you by raising soldiers' awareness when you purchase shops in liberated areas. So, you buy some stores, run around for wanted posters, and town criers to bribe to lower the awareness. Repeat the same process. That was a step backward.

Except for the fact that there were no wanted posters, yeah. And really, that should have happened in Brotherhood (Borgia guards seeing the city rise again even under their oppression), except there were no real consequences for full notoriety there... so... yeah.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#28AcFan87Posted 11/20/2012 1:01:04 PM
rascal45 posted...

Yeah I agree, it was horrible that rennovating property for better income and weapon/armor upgrades raised your noteriety. Worse, if it filled all the way, your den would be recaptured, and trigger the horrid Den Defense game which if you failed, you had to begin all over again by finding and killing the den captain.
#29rockyoumonkeysPosted 11/20/2012 1:24:20 PM
Revelations was awful. Every minute of that game was a chore. Bomb making was useless, Den Defense was lame (though fortunately it appears you can finish the entire game without having to ever do it beyond the tutorial). Gaining notoriety when buying shops might be the worst decision the developers have made in the entire series, and making that notoriety harder to get rid of (no posters, few heralds) was pretty bad too.

Combine all that with the super-bland environment and the minimal story progression (it's almost all backstory and character development), and Revelations just doesn't have much to offer.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: The Ghost Brigades, J. Scalzi
#30IamvegitoPosted 11/20/2012 2:48:58 PM
Den Defense is completely avoidable other than the first iteration, so that isn't an issue.

The problem with Revelations (and Brotherhood and III) is the addition of "full synchronization," which simply places every flaw and frustrating aspect of the mechanics right in your face and removes a lot of the figure-it-out-for-yourself aspect.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."