Would you play it?

#1aDominationPosted 11/20/2012 10:37:01 AM
An Assassins Creed set in feudal Japan?
---
Achievement Unlocked
Hail the Catastrophe 150(G) Become a Jenova Witness of your own free will.
#2Realist2615Posted 11/20/2012 10:44:38 AM
I have.

Six times.

They called it Tenchu.
---
Currently Playing: AC3, FFXI(Que.), FFXIII-2, GGXXAC+, LoZ: Skyward Sword, MW3, Valkyria Chronicles
#3FatalFraggerPosted 11/20/2012 10:45:39 AM
Yes. A lot of people don't want this, as they feel it has been overdone. This is true, but in my opinion, the AC series does well at accurately portraying life in other times, at least from what we know and and compared to other games. I don't mean conspiracies and assassination, but the feel of the place and era. I think it would be a fitting setting.
#4aDomination(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 10:49:02 AM
Realist2615 posted...
I have.

Six times.

They called it Tenchu.

Tenchu hasn't been a good game since the ps1 era.
---
Achievement Unlocked
Hail the Catastrophe 150(G) Become a Jenova Witness of your own free will.
#5Realist2615Posted 11/20/2012 10:53:35 AM
aDomination posted...
Realist2615 posted...
I have.

Six times.

They called it Tenchu.

Tenchu hasn't been a good game since the ps1 era.

Assassin's creed hasn't been a respectable title since AC1.

But that wasn't really the question, was it?

Why make an AC set in Feudal Japan when it's already been done several times? Not just by Acquire. Gameplay between the two is similar enough that it's sort of odd.

To top it off, it's already been stated officially that a Feudal Japan AC is not on their list of options. It's been ruled out since long ago. Even if I wanted to entertain the thought of playing an AC set in Japan, I know it would never happen anyway. It's a stale concept.
---
Currently Playing: AC3, FFXI(Que.), FFXIII-2, GGXXAC+, LoZ: Skyward Sword, MW3, Valkyria Chronicles
#6VirtuousKingPosted 11/20/2012 10:59:04 AM
Yes, I would.

And yes, fuedal japan may have been overplayed, but only by Tenchu which hasn't been good since PS1 and Dynasty Warriors which is such a cartoonish version of feudal Japan now that it is boorish.
---
R.I.P. Junk Bludgeo'd For Hammer, But Always In Our Hearts. 176 Damage, Nevar Forget.
#7BiggyDXPosted 11/20/2012 10:59:23 AM
I don't understand why people continue to correlate anything that would be remotely ninja with being overused. When's the last Open-World game set in an Asiatic country you ever played? As a matter of fact, when's the last open-world ninja game you ever played? No ones asking for crazy powers or anything, and if people are so concerned that you can't mix Asia with Assassins because it seems too ninja-like than all your doing is generalizing.

I think the scope of a title set in Feudal Japan/China wouldn't be as unwarranted as skeptics (and even Ubisoft) believe it to be. Chances are, the Templar presence in such an area would be small, but that opens up the possibilities of a much more strategic antagonist who has to use highly devised methods of overtaking the area. Influence of politics, minds, economies, culture. Subtle things, that would inevitably lead to larger changes if unchecked. If anything, having to make the Templars as bad as they seem when they have such a small influence of power would make for an even better story.

The introduction of Shao Jun in the Embers cinematic also doesn't help if they honestly didn't believe a Brotherhood in Feudal Asia would be any good. We're never going there so what the hell is the point of introducing her to us? Bring in someone from another European country.
---
Gamertag: My user name
#8Realist2615Posted 11/20/2012 11:11:03 AM
BiggyDX posted...
I don't understand why people continue to correlate anything that would be remotely ninja with being overused.

I never claimed that.

Tenchu itself has been overdone. How many games has it been now? 8? 9? I honestly don't know.

The point was that making an AC in Feudal Japan would be a waste because it's been almost completely explored by a game already so similar to itself that it is uncanny.

I think it would be a shame. An AC in another location, on the other hand, could be extremely interesting. They pulled it off brilliantly with the previous 3, why not?

I do agree about Ubi's meticulous nature, though. It could be a beautiful game... But the experience would be kinda dull.

Disclaimer: In my opinion.
---
#9BiggyDXPosted 11/20/2012 11:18:31 AM
Realist2615 posted...
BiggyDX posted...
I don't understand why people continue to correlate anything that would be remotely ninja with being overused.

I never claimed that.

Tenchu itself has been overdone. How many games has it been now? 8? 9? I honestly don't know.

The point was that making an AC in Feudal Japan would be a waste because it's been almost completely explored by a game already so similar to itself that it is uncanny.

I think it would be a shame. An AC in another location, on the other hand, could be extremely interesting. They pulled it off brilliantly with the previous 3, why not?

I do agree about Ubi's meticulous nature, though. It could be a beautiful game... But the experience would be kinda dull.

But why equate Tenchu (a very linear game which became a pretty crappy game series over time) with Assassins Creed? Tenchu has pre-rendered levels that aren't even historic and does nothing to capture the real history and locales of Japan. The game doesn't even strive for realism. So we should never touch Asia in an open-world game because of a series that has pretty much died out years ago?

This isn't me trying to flame you, but can you seriously say that you wouldn't give the game a shot even if it kept ALL of the gameplay mechanics of this title, but with an Asian setting?
---
Gamertag: My user name
#10Realist2615Posted 11/20/2012 11:33:36 AM
BiggyDX posted...
Realist2615 posted...
BiggyDX posted...

I never claimed that.

But why equate Tenchu (a very linear game which became a pretty crappy game series over time) with Assassins Creed? Tenchu has pre-rendered levels that aren't even historic and does nothing to capture the real history and locales of Japan. The game doesn't even strive for realism. So we should never touch Asia in an open-world game because of a series that has pretty much died out years ago?

This isn't me trying to flame you, but can you seriously say that you wouldn't give the game a shot even if it kept ALL of the gameplay mechanics of this title, but with an Asian setting?

To answer your question, no, I never said I wouldn't play it. I would buy any game in the series simply because I'm attached and committed to it at this point.

I equate a hypothetical Japanese AC with Tenchu because, despite their age or overall quality, their gameplay was so similar, making very little left that Ubi could explore or pioneer. Also... let's be fair here. Ubi might not be as obnoxious, but they haven't exactly been very realistic either. But the thing they treat with the utmost respect is what...

I already agreed with you about, historical accuracy and Ubi's attention to detail. It would be a beautiful game. I just feel that it would also be extremely samey. The only thing they'd be able to offer would be the fact that it's open-world or larger in scale. But that boils down to everything but the gameplay itself. (AC is just as linear as some of the worst Tenchu titles now, as far as enforcing how to actually dispose targets or otherwise fight.)

Honestly I wouldn't give a damn if they were to make one. The real thing I'm trying to stress here is that there are plenty of other areas they could choose with much, MUCH more potential than a Japanese setting.

But they'd pull in the metric ****ton of Naruto fans, so there's that to consider I guess. (Not being facetious, that would be smart as all hell.)
---