I just.. This game is a mess.. Spoilers.

#1IHazCandy4YouPosted 1/22/2013 12:26:56 AM
I love this series, I loved and enjoyed the last 4 installments enough to over look the various issues each one had (just mentioning it so no one thinks I am blind to the fact each game has issues..), and yet, I feel disappointed with this one. The story could be amazing, yet It is bogged down by a variety of issues. How the hell does Connor know Haytham is his father? Did his mother tell him? Maybe but I never saw anything explaining it. How the hell does HAYTHAM know he is Connors father?

Multiple times I have turned the game off right after the game saved and when I got back on it felt like it skipped quite a bit of dialogue. The most recent was after I killed Hickey, it saved, I turned it off and went to work, got back on after and all the sudden Connor and Achilles are yelling at each other. Maybe it's a bug or maybe it's just how messily the game jumps around but either way, it's an issue.

In past games I could usually sympathize with the targets line of reasoning but ALWAYS felt that Altiar and Ezio had a justifiable reason for disagreeing, Connor is basically 'no, freedom and choice' and its not just that Connor is the issue, in a lot of ways thy to too far with making the targets a grey area. Usually the targets are a bit of a grey area but there is a solid reason for killing them. Connor can't make up his mind where his priorities lie. Protecting his village or avenging his mother or the assassin ideals or fighting for America. The only saving grace in that is that most of those line up together but it still feels rather messy and thrown together.

I know I'm not making any complaints that have not been made before, I just feel frustrated that this game has so many issues because in a lot of ways it is really good..

/blograntfaqs
---
GT: IHazCandy4You
Formerly MasterViVi2..
#2CRtwentyPosted 1/22/2013 12:46:24 AM
Connor can't make up his mind where his priorities lie. Protecting his village or avenging his mother or the assassin ideals or fighting for America

That's kind of the point. He's conflicted and every time he thinks he's found something to fight for reality comes and pulls his feet out from under him. But he gets up and keeps fighting because it's something he has to do.
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#3gobuffalo30Posted 1/22/2013 5:07:48 AM
I think part of the problem is Connor. One point Connor is calling Achilles "old man" in his arrogant tone but then during side missions he's modest and respectful. Connor tells others to do/not do yet does it himself. I wouldn't say Connor is that conflicted, just that his attitude jumps back and forth to such a degree that it makes me feel he's bipolar or has a split personality.
#4CoontemptusPosted 1/22/2013 7:00:37 AM
The game is a mess story wise.

Just enjoy killing people, and try not to think how they ruined what could have been an awesome setting.
---
Sic semper tyrannis
#5SinisterSamuraiPosted 1/22/2013 7:51:00 AM
Connor is supposed to be a flawed character. That part isn't a plot hole or an oversight. Just because he's the main character, doesn't mean he's right.
---
I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
#6CoontemptusPosted 1/22/2013 7:56:59 AM
SinisterSamurai posted...
Connor is supposed to be a flawed character. That part isn't a plot hole or an oversight. Just because he's the main character, doesn't mean he's right.

You fanboys really need to get over it.

Players can't relate to a schizophrenic mess of a story or main character.
---
Sic semper tyrannis
#7SinisterSamuraiPosted 1/22/2013 8:12:19 AM
Coontemptus posted...

You fanboys really need to get over it.

Players can't relate to a schizophrenic mess of a story or main character.

Are... you serious? This game sucks, at least in comparison to AC2 and Brotherhood. I skipped Revelations. All the issues with the gameplay are really making the task of finishing a chore. This game really makes me want to put Tenchu Z back into my 360, and replaying SkiFree has been soaking up an unusual amount of time lately (F U, Yeti).

He's not schizophrenic, though. He's human. I'm sure you've yelled at your parents and people that you love. People have probably also told you that you were wrong at some point, and even though you knew it to be true, you made excuses for your actions. If you can't relate to that? Then you're not human. Altair was just kinda a dumb character, and Ezio was extraordinary. But Connor is ordinary, and I figure it's probably intentional, what with Desmond's comments about which side is right or wrong and so on.
---
I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
#8zenandiPosted 1/22/2013 8:51:08 AM
Are... you serious? This game sucks, at least in comparison to AC2 and Brotherhood. I skipped Revelations. All the issues with the gameplay are really making the task of finishing a chore. This game really makes me want to put Tenchu Z back into my 360, and replaying SkiFree has been soaking up an unusual amount of time lately (F U, Yeti).

He's not schizophrenic, though. He's human. I'm sure you've yelled at your parents and people that you love. People have probably also told you that you were wrong at some point, and even though you knew it to be true, you made excuses for your actions. If you can't relate to that? Then you're not human. Altair was just kinda a dumb character, and Ezio was extraordinary. But Connor is ordinary, and I figure it's probably intentional, what with Desmond's comments about which side is right or wrong and so on.

I agree.

Although, see my other topic, I did feel they loaded his character with a bit too many subplots that never really fleshed out all that well.
#9IHazCandy4You(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 9:25:49 AM
zenandi posted...

I agree.

Although, see my other topic, I did feel they loaded his character with a bit too many subplots that never really fleshed out all that well.

That is exactly how I feel. I don't dislike Connor, he does remind me of Anakin Skywalker attitude wise but over all his character isn't that bad. They just tried doing too much and as you said, nothing gets fleshed out.
---
GT: IHazCandy4You
Formerly MasterViVi2..
#10veggie530Posted 1/22/2013 9:32:30 AM
CRtwenty posted...
Connor can't make up his mind where his priorities lie. Protecting his village or avenging his mother or the assassin ideals or fighting for America

That's kind of the point. He's conflicted and every time he thinks he's found something to fight for reality comes and pulls his feet out from under him. But he gets up and keeps fighting because it's something he has to do.

I don't think they did a good job of telling that story.
---
On 12/28/03, I joined these forums. The PS3 and 360 were not released, MySpace was new, Twitter nor Facebook existed... I am from the Gamefaqs stone age era.