I just.. This game is a mess.. Spoilers.

#11Bloodlines1191Posted 1/22/2013 2:54:58 PM
SinisterSamurai posted...
Coontemptus posted...
Connor is supposed to be a flawed character. That part isn't a plot hole or an oversight. Just because he's the main character, doesn't mean he's right.

You fanboys really need to get over it.

Players can't relate to a schizophrenic mess of a story or main character.

Are... you serious? This game sucks, at least in comparison to AC2 and Brotherhood. I skipped Revelations. All the issues with the gameplay are really making the task of finishing a chore. This game really makes me want to put Tenchu Z back into my 360, and replaying SkiFree has been soaking up an unusual amount of time lately (F U, Yeti).

He's not schizophrenic, though. He's human. I'm sure you've yelled at your parents and people that you love. People have probably also told you that you were wrong at some point, and even though you knew it to be true, you made excuses for your actions. If you can't relate to that? Then you're not human. Altair was just kinda a dumb character, and Ezio was extraordinary. But Connor is ordinary, and I figure it's probably intentional, what with Desmond's comments about which side is right or wrong and so on.

I thought Altair was supposed to be stoic.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#12roguebotPosted 1/22/2013 3:08:59 PM
Bloodlines1191 posted...
Coontemptus posted...
Connor is supposed to be a flawed character. That part isn't a plot hole or an oversight. Just because he's the main character, doesn't mean he's right.

Are... you serious? This game sucks, at least in comparison to AC2 and Brotherhood. I skipped Revelations. All the issues with the gameplay are really making the task of finishing a chore. This game really makes me want to put Tenchu Z back into my 360, and replaying SkiFree has been soaking up an unusual amount of time lately (F U, Yeti).

He's not schizophrenic, though. He's human. I'm sure you've yelled at your parents and people that you love. People have probably also told you that you were wrong at some point, and even though you knew it to be true, you made excuses for your actions. If you can't relate to that? Then you're not human. Altair was just kinda a dumb character, and Ezio was extraordinary. But Connor is ordinary, and I figure it's probably intentional, what with Desmond's comments about which side is right or wrong and so on.

Not sure what you mean by that. Batman's stoic, but he's still freaking awesome and everyone loves him.
#13Bloodlines1191Posted 1/22/2013 3:58:03 PM
roguebot posted...
Bloodlines1191 posted...
Coontemptus posted...

Not sure what you mean by that. Batman's stoic, but he's still freaking awesome and everyone loves him.

Altair being a stoic, arrogant (at first at least in AC1) and cold-blooded killer. So much that he kills people even after giving him information.

Certainly not the type of guy you wanna meet in a back alley at night. Personally, I think he suffers from anger issues deep down. xD
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#14gobuffalo30Posted 1/23/2013 12:52:50 PM
He's not schizophrenic, though. He's human. I'm sure you've yelled at your parents and people that you love. People have probably also told you that you were wrong at some point, and even though you knew it to be true, you made excuses for your actions.

I've yelled at my parents but not in the tone that Connor uses. I've never called my dad "old man" out of anger either, nor a teacher for that matter. There's a gap between how Connor acts, his rationale, and his story. It makes it even more noticeable when you have a cutscene where Connor is his angry self towards Achilles, oh look a homestead mission for Achilles, and everything is peachy. That's ugly.
#15PanzerscrapPosted 1/24/2013 9:10:35 PM
OK, I can see how the changes in tone in Connor's attitude within cut scenes can be annoying to some and not to others.

I liked much of the story of this game. Particularly, I liked the notion that Connor seems to think that the Loyalists and England would endanger freedom, and though he's not sure what the colonists want, believes they desire freedom for all, equally. Little does he know that what the colonists want is freedom for white men and white men only, something foreshadowed, in my belief, in the somewhat condescending way the revolutionary heroes treat him. They want his skillset, but don't care about his goals.

But, objectively, I have to agree with the OP. There was never a single moment in AC thru ACR where I didn't know who I was fighting and why, and what everyone wanted. In ACIII, I have no concept half the time, and constantly feel like I am missing key plot ideas.
#16Dark_EpathyPosted 1/25/2013 10:21:44 AM
I do agree that the characters are just way too gray this time around. I understand the Templars have their own rationale and justification for what they do, but every time Connor kills one, the subsequent dialogue goes something like this:

"You stupid ****, you've screwed everything up."

It doesn't make you feel accomplished that you took out this supposedly bad guy. AC1 was great because, although the Templars weren't evil, they were kind of scumbags. You were motivated to take them out. Here, we have to buy into Connor's motivations, and they're difficult to pinpoint when the game moves around so much.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
More topics from this board...
Nine men's morris problemNairel227/22 12:34PM