The series need to choose between stealth and action already

#1Hash062Posted 1/25/2013 7:33:51 AM
I've had enough of this mess after 5 major games. What is this series about? Being an one-man army killing people on the front lines? Then it is not doing a good job. As an action game, the gameplay kinda sucks to say the least.

Is it about stealth? Then why the emphasis on fighting... They have designed so many finishing moves its ridiculous, but when it comes to be stealthy you can't even crouch. And don't bring the social stealth bs, because you're supposed to be a shadow with or without people around, the games force you to be undetected plenty of times without people around.

The title of "assassin" is more in tune with someone who works up a single quality kill, rather than a superhuman monster who can slaughter an army. Otherwise, why not call it Massacre Creed. I never thought I'd miss Altair's repetitive missions so much.
#2Bloodlines1191Posted 1/25/2013 8:16:59 AM
Hash062 posted...
I've had enough of this mess after 5 major games. What is this series about? Being an one-man army killing people on the front lines? Then it is not doing a good job. As an action game, the gameplay kinda sucks to say the least.

Is it about stealth? Then why the emphasis on fighting... They have designed so many finishing moves its ridiculous, but when it comes to be stealthy you can't even crouch. And don't bring the social stealth bs, because you're supposed to be a shadow with or without people around, the games force you to be undetected plenty of times without people around.

The title of "assassin" is more in tune with someone who works up a single quality kill, rather than a superhuman monster who can slaughter an army. Otherwise, why not call it Massacre Creed. I never thought I'd miss Altair's repetitive missions so much.

Unfortunately, you answered your own question. As much as they despise the nonsense in this game (no one cared around AC2 due to wanting to get away from the repetition. Oddly enough that affected the TWCB being sane writing and not jumping the shark until realizing it now....and people only hated Fahrenheit for it's A.I), they will never want the repetitive missions back. They want to play a game that's at least fun. I want them to go back to their roots too.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#3Dark_EpathyPosted 1/25/2013 10:13:50 AM
Yeah, ever since AC2 Ubisoft has been obsessed with making a game that does everything. It's true that the first game was repetitive and formulaic, but the answer wasn't to throw in as many things as possible just to cover up the fact.

It's unfortunate. If the game just tightened its central premise and idea--assassinations in big, open environments--it would be great. But instead we have to collect feathers and renovate shops and fight big naval battles. The latter is fun, don't get me wrong--but was it really necessary?
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#4CyrianFontainePosted 1/25/2013 2:06:13 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
Yeah, ever since AC2 Ubisoft has been obsessed with making a game that does everything. It's true that the first game was repetitive and formulaic, but the answer wasn't to throw in as many things as possible just to cover up the fact.

It's unfortunate. If the game just tightened its central premise and idea--assassinations in big, open environments--it would be great. But instead we have to collect feathers and renovate shops and fight big naval battles. The latter is fun, don't get me wrong--but was it really necessary?

I agree with this so much it's not even funny. The first game did need fixes, but it's like Ubisoft went and fixed everything except the actual problem.

As for combat vs. stealth, I think it's possible to balance the two (see the Arkham games for a good example), but it's got to make sense. When I play Assassin's Creed, I'm always left wondering why I'm sneaking around when I'm a one-man army. It just seems so arbitrary.
#5KamickasPosted 1/26/2013 9:38:19 AM
I miss planning out an assassination. With the way the main assassinations are set up, there's maybe one effective stealth route, and the "run in like a dumbass but still slaughter everyone" method. I'd prefer less linear setups over choosing between action and stealth.
#6SheepinatorPosted 1/26/2013 10:50:52 AM
Kamickas posted...
I miss planning out an assassination. With the way the main assassinations are set up, there's maybe one effective stealth route, and the "run in like a dumbass but still slaughter everyone" method. I'd prefer less linear setups over choosing between action and stealth.

I too miss those aspects of AC1. The forts have a small taste of it. I've just started Hitman Absolution and so far it looks like it may solve that stealth itch, with multiple ways of accomplishing your goal.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#7garekmanPosted 1/26/2013 11:36:29 AM
I've recently purchased this game, and I agree with you. I've been a huge fan of the series from AC1 to AC:R, but this game is letting me down very quickly. I was eager to play it but didn't want to spend 65 in it, but yesterday I trade in another game in a Game store, so I got a 20 ticket, so as I didn't see anything interesting of that price or lower I finally spent 45 more to buy it. Now I regret it. Never thought I would say it about an AC game, but it's the truth. I don't know if by the time I end it I like it better, but I guess I'll try selling it and getting some of the money I spent at least. Very disappointed with Ubisoft.
#8CoontemptusPosted 1/26/2013 6:18:33 PM
If you imagine that some games have 5 difficulties (Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard) and you pretend you have a bugged copy that is stuck on Very Easy, it starts to make sense.

If they turned the difficulty up a few notches the game would have a nice balance of stealth and ability to kill.

With aggressive enemies that killed you quickly, you wouldn't be the one many army you are today.
---
Sic semper tyrannis
#9Shaolin015Posted 1/27/2013 12:06:30 AM
This series has always been about being stealthy until you get to your target, causing a scene then making an escape preferably with stealth techniques. If you chose to stick around and fight everyone after you killed your target, that's on you not the game
#10zenandiPosted 1/27/2013 7:57:22 AM
They already did choose -- they chose action.

Seriously, don't tell me its not obvious when the fighting bit is miles more polished that the stealth nonsense.

Besides, the 'average' casual can't handle stealth, and that's the audience they've wanted all along.

Just look at the 'average' scores on Hitman:Absolution -- all of them are actually fail grades. Given the option of going the action route, only a few hardcore players would dedicatedly play stealthily.