The series need to choose between stealth and action already

#21SheepinatorPosted 1/28/2013 1:17:28 PM
Unpure_Euphoria posted...
I think the exfiltration is probably one of the key points. I'm basing it off memory but if you were complete stealth couldn't you simply leave the area and not worry about being chased? In this game it feels like it wants me to be in direct confrontation, it's less about stealth and hiding.

Not really. Each time you commit the assassinations, you're immediately attacked by guards. Even if you approached your target in complete stealth - when possible - the mark was always near other enemies, so there wasn't really any getting back out with stealth. You could either run for your life, or fight to the last man.

Are you sure? Or is that a side effect of the more direct approach you took? Where possible I would eliminate guards around the perimeter then kill the target quietly with stealth. Or perhaps again I'm remembering it too fondly and there was guaranteed combat no matter what, or perhaps it was mitigated some by the guards I had already killed.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#22billygotenPosted 1/28/2013 1:33:16 PM
I don't recall being able to kill a target in AC1 without immediate fallout.

Even if you picked off guards around the perimeter, people would freak out to a degree once they noticed they were dead. I do recall a kill or two in future games where you can kill the guy and put him on the bench and escape before anyone knows he's dead, but I don't remember being able to do it in AC1 and I played the game through with the explicit objective of killing every mark without them seeing it coming. That didn't always mean undetected, but not in open combat (for example with Ta-whatever the coward guy who confronts you in his slave shop then runs, you can catch him with an aerial kill from above just after you get outside and he starts running for it).

I could be mistaken.

In any event, I don't really recall many of the missions or kills in the Ezio AC games either. People always say AC1 feels more assassin-y than the other games and mission format and planning are major reasons why. It's a shame that even with the later games' additions of new types of kills, a mark feels less like figuring out how to solve a puzzle and more about doing the obvious, even with things such as kills from haystacks, benches, drops kills, etc.
---
---The defib is a more useful weapon at range than either T1 shotty. - kenmorr23---
#23Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 1/28/2013 1:33:25 PM
Yes, I'm sure. I didn't just go guns blazing into them. I never did. I really think you need to replay the game.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am. - http://tinyurl.com/bestgfaqstopic
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers
#24bobbyrkPosted 1/28/2013 1:34:31 PM
FYI, when AC1 was first shown off at X06, Jade Raymond said they "set out to redefine the action genre." It was always meant to be heavy on the action.

The second took place in a hospital for the mentally ill and stuff. It was full of those crazy guys that thrashed around and pushed you. If you didn't use the monks/scholars to approach, you were almost certainly always hit by them and your cover was blown. Even when you did use them, the mark would often be near the mentally ill and just disengaging from the monks will make them hit you, again, ruining your stealth approach.

Nope. After the initial cutscene, take to the rafters, watching for guards. You can easily get in and out of there without being spotted or hit by the Crazies.

The next assassination took place in a warehouse type place, and it is inevitable to trigger a chase. Not very stealthy.

True.

Next one takes place at a party and, again, triggering a chase automatically happens. Not stealthy.

Not true. You can get to him without raising the alarm really easily, and that's without using any exploits.

The next one takes place at a public execution and the only way to approach your target with stealth is, surprise surprise, the use of monks.

Not true. You can get to him pretty much any way, without having to use the Scholars.

The next one eludes you initially and then the game gives you six targets, which your mark could be any one of them and it's your job to go find which one it is. They're almost always in enclosed courtyard and since there are no actual air assassination feature in AC1, it was next to impossible to approach them without being spotted.

Actually, there is Air Assassinating, but it's not automated like it is in the later games. And yes, you can easily get to them without being spotted, and rather easily, too.

Of the nine targets (not counting the real Robert and Al Mualim), only two cannot be completed stealthily. The first is the Slave Trader, as I mentioned above, the second is the impostor Robert.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#25SheepinatorPosted 1/28/2013 1:43:08 PM
I really think you need to replay the game.

Perhaps, but the backlog is too big and I'd rather get on that than replay older games.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#26Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 1/28/2013 2:17:43 PM
[...]

As for the party assassination, while you don't always have to chase him, you're not really going to tell me that's stealth, are you?

And for the public execution, the second you step on to the stage without the monks your cover is blown. You cannot get to him "any way."

Also, I wouldn't call it air assassinations. They're like... drop assassinations. And really finicky.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - any game, any gamer! Love games? So do we.
#27bobbyrkPosted 1/28/2013 2:27:02 PM
[...]

As for the party assassination, while you don't always have to chase him, you're not really going to tell me that's stealth, are you?

And for the public execution, the second you step on to the stage without the monks your cover is blown. You cannot get to him "any way."

Also, I wouldn't call it air assassinations. They're like... drop assassinations. And really finicky.

For the party, you can climb all the way to the top of the building, drop down behind him, and kill him. And if you're careful, you can do the entire thing without being seen, and at most needing to kill maybe three guards.

For the public execution, I misspoke. There's multiple ways to get at him, the only path that requires using Scholars is the stealthy one. You can run down the buildings to the target's right (to your left, when facing him) and strike.

There's more than just the "hang off the edge of the wall and strike" Air Assassinations in AC1. You can also do running air assassinations, literally running and leaping off the edge of a rooftop to strike. AC2 introduced the "Press X to automatically leap down and kill the target" style Air Assassination, though.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#288YorMommyPosted 1/29/2013 2:30:08 PM
"The series need to choose between stealth and action already"

No it doesn't. It's always been about both, and I love it that way.
More topics from this board...
High profile on default?Jazzo210229/22 9:59PM