Everchanging Abilities Preferences? (MP topic)

#1RubedoXTPosted 1/26/2013 10:59:01 AM
Are there any abilities you started this game with that you just don't use anymore, or STILL use no matter what? I remember using Decoy a lot when I first started, just so I can get easy naked stuns, but I haven't used it since.

There was a time where I stuck with the most common Smoke Bomb, Poison and Knives combination, but started getting into using the Tripwire Bomb properly for once. And just last night because of a constantly Morphing Beiber, I decided to start using Wipe more. Turns out it's hard to figure out who activated it as I was given enough time to lock on the exposed player.

At the end of every match, I usually get the Improvisor Accolade because I switch ability sets constantly, even while I'm alive by holding Back and A. I just really can't decide which situations I want to create most of the time so I need to adapt quickly.

How about you guys? Any abilities you've discarded completely or stayed true to through and through?
---
We can waste time arguing, or we can get things done!
#2RycerXPosted 1/26/2013 11:17:47 AM(edited)
I thought wipe would be awesome at first, turns out all it does is either completely give me away or cause my enemy to make a mad dash out of the bubble. The only thing I consider it good for now is countering smoke bombs.

Bodyguard is another one I used to run quite a bit, but half the time it either derps around for too long and my pursuer gets me anyway or it disappears before reaching my pursuer. You have to activate it at just the right time. Too soon and it disappears, too late and it doesn't activate in time. Plus, some people spot it right away and just run around it altogether.

I still like disguise, even though it's another one of those extra time sensitive abilities, I have control over how quickly I get to my pursuer instead of a bodyguard. It's so much fun to turn a corner and surprise your target after they've identified you as their pursuer too. Sometimes I'll blow my cover on purpose just to do that.
#3GaMiNg eLiTePosted 1/26/2013 11:28:59 AM
I've mostly stopped bothering with Decoy. I intentionally did the challenge for it early on, knowing from the previous games that people would eventually just be unaffected by it in general, despite its improvements.

I almost never used Money Bomb, even before I unlocked any ability sets, since Wipe was quite obviously superior just by reading the description. Over time, I've mostly (but not entirely) traded Firecrackers for Wipe as well. As much as I prefer Firecrackers conceptually, Wipe's ability blocking effect is a necessity now that most players have unlocked Smoke and Knives.

I still regularly use just about everything else, aside from the other obviously terrible ones (Disruption, Dart, and Closure; I save those for low-level matches), and the team-based ones (Tripwire Bomb and Teleport; I rarely play teams).
---
In the modern world, "common sense" is an oxymoron.
#4billygotenPosted 1/27/2013 12:27:35 PM
I've made a lot of preference changes from when I first started playing.

I used to use Decoy because it was fun but it still doesn't seem to be up for competitive play, so I dropped it.

I liked Glimmer when I first started, but it doesn't last nearly as long as it needs to to compete for a spot with Disguise in most modes. I do, however, love it in Assassinate.

I wanted a directly aggressive defensive ability (like Charge), but there really isn't much to choose from (besides knives). I ended up using Tripwire more than ever before and although it still has a laundry list of shortcomings, I'm liking it pretty well. I really wish Bodyguard gave you points for the stun because it it did, it would probably get the spot now that it can't be stunned, despite the fact that it often pals around all day with the pursuer I spotted 40 years ago doing nothing.

Animus Shield is amazing for those saps that can't think of anything besides OMG SMOKE BOMB, but the cooldown should be super competitive for the same reason. Also almost necessary in Art Assault.

Closure still sucks. Disguise is still one of the most fun and useful abilities.

Teleport seems a little less good, but still worth using in AA. I'm still mad at Wipe for not doing what I thought it did (being just like Mute), but it's pretty good when going in for the kill. Still haven't decided if it's better than Animus Shield overall. Smoke and Poison are still pretty much the same, whoohoo.

I used to use Firecrackers a lot in Assassinate, but I haven't noticed them being particularly effective. Their ability to break locks used to only work some of the time and they still don't keep the pursuer from pounding the kill button to prevent you from getting a stun, so I haven't used them much. Now that Wipe exists, I'd probably lean towards it in Manhunt... if I was interested in playing it.
---
---The defib is a more useful weapon at range than either T1 shotty. - kenmorr23---
#5ZimmygunnarPosted 1/27/2013 2:19:00 PM
I used to use Kill Buffer, but now that there's a dedicated ranged slot I find that I'm getting shot a lot more so I don't bother with it
---
Ya gotta, ya gotta, ya gotta be fresh!
GT: romertremor http://i.imgur.com/jcW29.gif
#6billygotenPosted 1/27/2013 2:26:11 PM
^ About that, I swapped to 550 any kill + Kill Buffer in Assassinate, mostly because people play like asses and I'm able to keep up a little more that way (I refuse to base my entire strategy on baiting locks into stun turnaround kills). It's working out for me so far most of the time, but do you think there's a better approach, as far as kill streaks and keeping up in points goes?

I prefer the lowest Silent Kill streak in every other points based mode, but it's just so damn hard to get Silent Kill streaks and keep them in Assassinate.
---
---The defib is a more useful weapon at range than either T1 shotty. - kenmorr23---
#7XxXZero0oXxXPosted 1/27/2013 3:12:54 PM
billygoten posted...
^ About that, I swapped to 550 any kill + Kill Buffer in Assassinate, mostly because people play like asses and I'm able to keep up a little more that way (I refuse to base my entire strategy on baiting locks into stun turnaround kills). It's working out for me so far most of the time, but do you think there's a better approach, as far as kill streaks and keeping up in points goes?

I prefer the lowest Silent Kill streak in every other points based mode, but it's just so damn hard to get Silent Kill streaks and keep them in Assassinate.

Unless ure stunning people then killing them, it's almost impossible to get silent kills in assassinate.
---
GT: XxXZero0oXxX
#8RubedoXT(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 3:45:07 PM
what was Mute like? from what I've seen in videos, it acts the same as Wipe.
---
We can waste time arguing, or we can get things done!
#9billygotenPosted 1/27/2013 5:17:29 PM(edited)
Unless ure stunning people then killing them, it's almost impossible to get silent kills in assassinate.

I know. There are a couple ways to get some, but almost all involve abilities and it's incredibly tough to string multiples together without dying.

what was Mute like? from what I've seen in videos, it acts the same as Wipe.

Similar.

Mute shut off ability use but also prevented stunning or killing for a few seconds, so you could Mute an enemy and get a quick guaranteed kill or stun. It had a delay on when it took effect, so you had to learn the timing and hit it slightly earlier than you'd think. It was a 3D effect like Wipe, so one of the things you could do with Mute was hang on a ledge and bait a pursuer into coming at you from the roof, hit the Mute from the ledge and climb up for the stun. Due to a combination of lag, the delay, and the amount of time Mute shut off ability use, it actually wasn't often a very effective counter to Smoke Bomb, as the opponent would often drop Smoke as Mute took effect (or immediately prior) and would last the entirety of Mute's no-kill/stun effect, or you'd be too far away and they'd get ability use back before you could get the stun. But it was an effective means of stunning when you didn't encounter someone with Smoke Bomb or a Mute crafted for longer duration.

Wipe shuts off ability use much longer, reveals opponents, turns off whispers and heartbeats on any players it hit, and is MUCH more obvious when you use it. Mute was pretty low key - it was even possible to use it and not give away your position, but with Wipe, it's pretty damn obvious. The biggest difference between the two is that Wipe does NOT prevent killing or stunning.

Not sure on any range differences, but WingspanTT at toptiertactics says that the range upgrades for Wipe aren't that great compared to what it was for Mute. Doesn't seem to matter to me, as Wipe's range is like 40 hectares.
---
#10ZimmygunnarPosted 1/28/2013 6:44:19 AM
I don't really care for Wipe. It seems like every time I use it my target just freaks out and takes off running, ruining the kill.
---
Ya gotta, ya gotta, ya gotta be fresh!
GT: romertremor http://i.imgur.com/jcW29.gif