Why this game is awesome, and why trolls should give it another chance.

#1AugmentedMinorPosted 1/26/2013 11:47:58 AM
Before I got this game I had never played a AC game before. It looked cool, but I wasn't really into the sneaking/assassin games (except MGS), yet I gave it a try. I first bought it for PS3 and I hated it. The performance was terrible, the animations were choppy, and the controller seemed to lag a bit. The free run seemed a bit arbitrary, since a tiny rock could cause me to halt, while my character would leap over a boulder. Plus, I kept getting destroyed in the fights. I took it back.

A few months later, after I bought a 360, I decided to see if the performance issues would be resolved on the system, since Borderlands 2 performed much better on the 360; AC3 did also. The free run was much smoother, the combat seemed to be more responsive, and all those things that bothered me about it before slowly faded away. I think my problem was that I was so focused on wanting the game be how I wanted it to be, instead of appreciating a piece of work that someone else did. The game is meant for the players to experience what the programmers created.

I see so many people doing what I did before, saying the games sucks, that it's f***ing messed up, and that it was poorly programmed. I think they should give it another chance and this time try to appreciate the game, instead of trying to make it fit within your idea of what a game should be like.

But, here are some common things I see people complain about, that I once complained about.

1) Combat is too hard.
I said the same. The combat really turned me off. But I love it now, and this is why. Because I know how to handle each different enemy. Some of the enemies will parry your opening attack (the big guy with the kilt) and you have to adapt to that. A lot of times I think people treat AC3 like a hack n slash game. If you're getting crushed by an enemy that keeps parrying, try a different approach. For the big guy, I always let him attack me first, then disarm (A) then finish him off. Each enemy has to be dealt with in their own way, and I think that really gives the game a great dynamic.

2) The game isn't hard enough.
I know most games have a difficulty slide, and maybe they should have added one, but the hardest part about this game is the optional objective, giving you a full sync. I don't see people complaining about Grand Theft Auto not having a difficulty slider, instead the optional objectives are the difficult part.

3) The game "just sucks"
I see this the most, and typically this is the post a frustrated game gives when they cannot adapt (see "Combat is too hard") or the game is so different that they just aren't used to the gameplay.

4) It's laggy.
I played PC for awhile, so I agree compared to a PC the game does have a "lag" since it runs at a lower frame rate. But, for a console, and compared to the PS3, this game runs very well. I don't think AC3 runs so poorly that it prevents me from enjoying the game.

5) The game is too short.
I can understand this from someone who only play the story missions, however there are a ton of optional missions, most of which are very fun. I hardly play the story because I like to have tons of enemies around me (go do a Fort Mission if you really wanna have fun). There is plenty of stuff to do/unlock in this game. The game isn't World of Warcraft or Skyrim, but multi-player is really fun.

I think that pretty much covers what I see. If you want to add anything, please do. And to people who will continue to troll the game, you're not saying anything no one else has already said. Give the game another chance, and try to adapt.
---
"and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the LORD his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes"
#2zenandiPosted 1/26/2013 12:26:11 PM(edited)
You've just described every hater of every game out there...

Anyway, I've beaten the game 1000/1000, and let's say I just about like it enough.

But these are what I think are objectively the bad stuff about it:

(btw... if this sounds like a hate post, its because I will not be bothering to mention the good bits...)

- Combat is boring.

First of all, I will admit that maybe like TC says, I'm being one-dimensional in my approach. In any case, whilst the game does up the difficulty, does copy Arkham somewhat, t feels like its lost that crucial element of fun.

Combat is now tedious. Because certain guys don't take certain s*** from you, it becomes a chore to take them down. Killstreaks are broken as you wait to counter, and you inevitably go back to the A-A-kill method of taking down these annoyances.

Batman also has enemies that needed certain routines to take down, but Batman is never completely stone-walled and has to wait for a counter. Connor feels like he has much less choice tho... Ultimately, the imitation of the Freeflow Combat is half-a***ed, It is anything but 'freeflow'.

Or its entirely possible I'm doing it wrong...

- Economy

Poor UI, Ultimately shallow system, and ironically, nothing to buy with all that cash. I still like it over passive income, but the limitations are those.

- Disappearing Consumables

Not a big deal. Not exactly not annoying either... -_-;

- Assassins' Recruit

Missions have little significance, and also have little to no payoff, tangible or otherwise. Worse still, recruits can't die, making mission a formality.

- FAILpoints directly after Optional fails.

Do I have to elaborate?

- Assassination Missions are fetchquests.

You will only understand if you played Brotherhood and how much more context we had for each kill there...

- Every fetchquest is disgracefully implemented.

Barely any dialogue or mission briefing... You're not even sure you actually activated a quest, never mind why or what you're supposed to do. Except go here, do something. Win.

- Hunting

Good enough, but then absolutely ridiculous that the biggest and fiercest games are done through QTE. Takes a lot of the achievement out of it, dontcha think?

- BS Mission design in some places

2 seconds into a Homestead mission, I got desynchronized because I didn't run and keep up while LISTENING TO A RUNNING BRIEF. Yeah, you know, like, what the hell?

- Desmond Conclusion
Dropped. the. ball... copped.out... Deus-ex-machina... etc.

- Connor Story
Not bad... but... not exactly great...

In a word, the element of 'fun' seems to be severely lacking for some reason.
#3XeroShinobiPosted 1/26/2013 12:19:37 PM
The main problem is that the game is buggy, and a lot of the side quests are really half-assed.

If anything, the combat is way too easy, and Assassin's Creed III is the longest Assassin's Creed game to date. I don't really know where you're coming from on those points.

The frame rate is tolerable. Sure, you could dish out the big bucks to play at a higher frame rate on PC, that's true of virtually all multiplatform titles, but the difference isn't that drastic in this case. The 360 version performs well.

Overall, the game is alright. The most recent patch addressed most of the worst bugs. There is fun to be had with ACIII.
---
Currently playing: not much
#4BayouJoePosted 1/26/2013 1:05:54 PM
This game is great so far, I'm on sequence 10 and have had no bugs or glitches (yet?), money is too easy with hunting (made over 70k in 2 hours hunting just beaver around the lake in Diamond Basin). In between sequences I do various other things like Homestead stuff or unlocking the underground, naval missions, hunting, etc.......anyway, I'm loving it!
---
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
#5BayouJoePosted 1/26/2013 1:07:57 PM
BayouJoe posted...
This game is great so far, I'm on sequence 10 and have had no bugs or glitches (yet?), money is too easy with hunting (made over 70k in 2 hours hunting just beaver around the lake in Diamond Basin). In between sequences I do various other things like Homestead stuff or unlocking the underground, naval missions, hunting, etc.......anyway, I'm loving it!

Oh yeah, I downloaded the game into my HD before I even started it, maybe that's why I'm not having problems with it.
---
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
#6AugmentedMinor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 1:08:44 PM
zenandi posted...
You've just described every hater of every game out there...

Anyway, I've beaten the game 1000/1000, and let's say I just about like it enough.

But these are what I think are objectively the bad stuff about it:

(btw... if this sounds like a hate post, its because I will not be bothering to mention the good bits...)

- Combat is boring.

First of all, I will admit that maybe like TC says, I'm being one-dimensional in my approach. In any case, whilst the game does up the difficulty, does copy Arkham somewhat, t feels like its lost that crucial element of fun.

Combat is now tedious. Because certain guys don't take certain s*** from you, it becomes a chore to take them down. Killstreaks are broken as you wait to counter, and you inevitably go back to the A-A-kill method of taking down these annoyances.

Batman also has enemies that needed certain routines to take down, but Batman is never completely stone-walled and has to wait for a counter. Connor feels like he has much less choice tho... Ultimately, the imitation of the Freeflow Combat is half-a***ed, It is anything but 'freeflow'.

Or its entirely possible I'm doing it wrong...

- Economy

Poor UI, Ultimately shallow system, and ironically, nothing to buy with all that cash. I still like it over passive income, but the limitations are those.

- Disappearing Consumables

Not a big deal. Not exactly not annoying either... -_-;

- Assassins' Recruit

Missions have little significance, and also have little to no payoff, tangible or otherwise. Worse still, recruits can't die, making mission a formality.

- FAILpoints directly after Optional fails.

Do I have to elaborate?

- Assassination Missions are fetchquests.

You will only understand if you played Brotherhood and how much more context we had for each kill there...

- Every fetchquest is disgracefully implemented.

Barely any dialogue or mission briefing... You're not even sure you actually activated a quest, never mind why or what you're supposed to do. Except go here, do something. Win.

- Hunting

Good enough, but then absolutely ridiculous that the biggest and fiercest games are done through QTE. Takes a lot of the achievement out of it, dontcha think?

- BS Mission design in some places

2 seconds into a Homestead mission, I got desynchronized because I didn't run and keep up while LISTENING TO A RUNNING BRIEF. Yeah, you know, like, what the hell?

- Desmond Conclusion
Dropped. the. ball... copped.out... Deus-ex-machina... etc.

- Connor Story
Not bad... but... not exactly great...

In a word, the element of 'fun' seems to be severely lacking for some reason.

I think you make points I agree with, but my point of the topic isn't to say there couldn't be any improvements, rather the things people typically complain about are based on their lack of trying new things.
---
"and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the LORD his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes"
#7SheepinatorPosted 1/26/2013 3:08:39 PM
How does having reasonable issues with the game design which are communicated politely constitute being a "troll"? Isn't your own topic title trolling?

On the plus side, there is tons to do if you go for 100% as I did. The combo of RDR meets AC was done well. The new ship scenes are amazing, and original. The MP is very good, though that's not a new thing for this game.

OTOH, there are more bugs than most AAA games. The intro is terrible. Some new features aren't explained well. Combat is repetitive and easy, and often relies on waiting to counter. Crafting is useless. Having to sit in menus sending convoys for cash and then running out of things to buy is less preferable to me than previous games where more bought shops increases income and increases the number of places in the world you can do shop related things (instead of what, 10 or so in the whole AC3 world). At least if you fail an optional objective you can reload checkpoint unlike previous games. The main characters aren't very likeable and Connor and Desmonds stories aren't great. Sewers are boring and you can't unlock fast travel from above ground.

Also there's usually only one way to stealth a mission. In this respect, I'm enjoying Hitman Absolution so far that I'm a few missions into. There are multiple routes and many ways to stealth kill. Go one way, take one disguise, create this diversion using the environment, or go another way with a different disguise, find that vent or window that gives you an alternate route, and so on. Then stealth kill the target or poison his food or drink. Plus it has many different optional challenges to encourage replay of the mission in different ways. In AC3 once you've beaten it that one good way, there's no incentive to play it again. They've been going this way since AC2 so I shouldn't really complain about it for AC3, just saying I'm a little disappointed there's still no hint of going back to the series roots (that's not to say there aren't many great improvements since AC1, I'm not some purist saying everything since AC1 was weak).
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#8AugmentedMinor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 3:33:52 PM
Sheepinator posted...
How does having reasonable issues with the game design which are communicated politely constitute being a "troll"? Isn't your own topic title trolling?

On the plus side, there is tons to do if you go for 100% as I did. The combo of RDR meets AC was done well. The new ship scenes are amazing, and original. The MP is very good, though that's not a new thing for this game.

OTOH, there are more bugs than most AAA games. The intro is terrible. Some new features aren't explained well. Combat is repetitive and easy, and often relies on waiting to counter. Crafting is useless. Having to sit in menus sending convoys for cash and then running out of things to buy is less preferable to me than previous games where more bought shops increases income and increases the number of places in the world you can do shop related things (instead of what, 10 or so in the whole AC3 world). At least if you fail an optional objective you can reload checkpoint unlike previous games. The main characters aren't very likeable and Connor and Desmonds stories aren't great. Sewers are boring and you can't unlock fast travel from above ground.

Also there's usually only one way to stealth a mission. In this respect, I'm enjoying Hitman Absolution so far that I'm a few missions into. There are multiple routes and many ways to stealth kill. Go one way, take one disguise, create this diversion using the environment, or go another way with a different disguise, find that vent or window that gives you an alternate route, and so on. Then stealth kill the target or poison his food or drink. Plus it has many different optional challenges to encourage replay of the mission in different ways. In AC3 once you've beaten it that one good way, there's no incentive to play it again. They've been going this way since AC2 so I shouldn't really complain about it for AC3, just saying I'm a little disappointed there's still no hint of going back to the series roots (that's not to say there aren't many great improvements since AC1, I'm not some purist saying everything since AC1 was weak).

Perhaps if you read my comment, you would see that I am not stating the game has no need for improvement. The people that are complaining do not bring up the things you have stated, they typically complain of the things I posted, hence my original post. All of these things that you believe are flows/bugs, or are things to need to be improved upon, are subjective, just as my opinion that it's a enjoyable, playable game is subjective.

Specifically your comment on combat, I think is due to your play-style. If you prioritize the infantry men first, the Captains, Jagers, or Brutes will eventually attack, giving you the opportunity to not have to wait for a counter. You don't have to wait for a counter unless it's a one on one fight, which is easily remedied with a bow shot or gun shot. Again, I think the lack of adaptation and experimentation with combat, leads people with your style to be waiting around for a countering, making combat boring for you.

I don't think the game is perfect, but I have adapted.

The Liberation quests took awhile for me to understand, but now I know where to find them, where to look for them, and how to activate them.

I now know that Assassination Quests are randomly generated dependent upon your proximity to a Templar.

I agree that the trading system is a bit whack, and can be improved upon, but I don't see people hoping on the boards, cursing about how it ruined the game for them. Please, recognize the point of my topic.
---
#9ICEman MorgsPosted 1/26/2013 4:41:32 PM
AugmentedMinor posted...

Perhaps if you read my comment, you would see that I am not stating the game has no need for improvement. The people that are complaining do not bring up the things you have stated, they typically complain of the things I posted, hence my original post. All of these things that you believe are flows/bugs, or are things to need to be improved upon, are subjective, just as my opinion that it's a enjoyable, playable game is subjective.

I don't know what topics you've been looking at, but I've seen plenty of complaints about the terrible economy/crafting system, the useless delivery/assassination missions, the poorly implemented (not "too hard" or "too easy", poorly implemented) combat, how Connor sucks as a character and the story is muddled and unengaging, and plenty of negative talk about the ending.
---
ICEman Morgs' Ignore list: Making GameFAQs a better place.
GT: Morgneto
#10tls4gatorbaitPosted 1/26/2013 4:43:29 PM
"this game is awesome"

whos trolling who?

no stop, this game is fatally broken in every regard