I've failed to really get invested in the story after...(Spoilers ahead)

#1Dragon NexusPosted 2/8/2013 7:10:43 PM
...the first few sequences when that twist happens. I was really on board with Haytham and everything he was doing, but suddeny shifting the paradigm made things feel strange, having to get to know some new character. Maybe if Connor's voice actor had a bit more range than monotone and angry.

I've drifted through the story, leaping from event to event like I was on the Magic School Bus and not really caring too much about what was going on. I sleep walked through most of this game.

Except...there was one aspect I realised I was caring about without realising it. The homestead. One particular homestead mission right at the end of the game. I actually had to take a little break from the game to just let things sink in. I realised I'd grown to like the homestead, the people I'd brought to live there. I cared about their lives, their aspirations, their plans, their successes and failures. That homestead, the side mission more than likely created to pad out the gameplay length, had given me way more of an emotional impact overall than anything that happened during the American Revolution.

I'm aware I'm probably on my own on this matter, I tend to get a level of emotional investment in certain games, especially long running franchises. I remember having a similar feeling at the end of Revelations as well, going through the game with nothing really interesting me, characters arriving and leaving with narry a care, but that ending made me feel I was saying goodbye to an old friend.

See, this is what I think makes gaming so amazing.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2xXsabbathXxPosted 2/8/2013 7:42:02 PM
I agree with alot of what you say, Adult connor sounded like a monotone robot.
Although Teen Connor(Sequence 5) and Kid Connor(Sequence 4) seemed to be better VA then adult connor.

I also agree the Homestead story may very well single handedly a better story than the actual AC3 story. I loved the homestead aspect of the game.....and the very last homestead mission <spoilers>When Achilles dies and connor digs a grave for him</Spoilers> was a more emotional event than when <spoilers>Connors mom dies</spoilers>

Also the Naval aspect of the game was another great thing done for this dissappointing game. A++ on that part.

Overall i would say the story in this game is 6/10.....highly disappointed in Ubisoft. And it seems they wont tell the rest of Connors story because the next AC game is going to be set in 2014
#3Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 8:33:41 PM
Might wanna edit your spoiler tage there, dude. =)

I wouldn't say a 6/10, personally. I'd give it an 8/10. Gameplay is solid and there's a lot to do, but I just feel Ubisoft lost sight of the core gameplay a long time ago and has just filled the game with ALL of the lego pieces, rather than the ones you need to make the space ship.

.....if that makes any sense.

What I'm trying to say is I don't need no damn castle tower on mah space ship!
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#4OfDestinyPosted 2/8/2013 8:47:39 PM
xXsabbathXx posted...
the next AC game is going to be set in 2014

Huh? the next AC will be RELEASED in 2014, not set in 2014.
#5bobbyrkPosted 2/8/2013 8:59:26 PM
OfDestiny posted...
xXsabbathXx posted...

Fiscal year 2014. That's April 1st 2013 to March 31st 2014. So basically, they'll officially announce it by sometime in May at the very latest (though probably late March or sometime in April is more likely), show it off at E3 in June, and release it in November.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#6xXsabbathXxPosted 2/9/2013 6:51:45 AM
OfDestiny posted...
xXsabbathXx posted...

Oh i must have mis-read the article :\ but they stated it will be a new character nonetheless so connor will be out of the picture in the up-coming game.

Also i cant edit my post because im Warned :( and i failed at spoiler tags