Just finished the game. One e-mail suddenly made me realise the story...

#1Dragon NexusPosted 2/8/2013 9:20:08 PM
must have been made up on the fly.

I read the in-game e-mail about the Eye-Abstergo. I'd completely forgotten about that, launching the apple into space to control the world. The whole plot of the first game.

It just made me think that they might not have been going for this whole first civilisation thing to begin with and really wanted to simply do Assassins Vs Templars. But at some point the franchise got away from them. I know the FC thing started in AC2's ending (and that was weird as hell when I first saw it) but the whole solar flare, end of the world thing seemed to completely overshadow anything the Templars were doing. Which is probably why the Templars were relagated to "corporation chasing the heros" rather than an actual threat you had to face. Outside of the Animus, anyway.

I find myself kinda wishing they'd gone the more predictable route. Setting up the scene in AC1, making Desmon a master assassin by learning from one of the greatest assassins the brotherhood had known, Ezio, and then using that knowledge to stop Abstergo from taking over the world.

The first civilisation thing just seemed to derail the original premise.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2OfDestinyPosted 2/8/2013 9:38:12 PM
I'm with you. I don't know if it was made up on the fly or if it was on their mind the whole time but the whole First civilization story always looked forced to me. I'm a fan of sci-fi and fantasy stories but I feel no interest in this storyline at all nor feel like I want to know more about any of those characters. All I know is that whenever I got a FCivciilzation cutscene I just wanted it to be over to be able to go back to Florence, Rome, New York or whevever my assassin was at the time.
I also wish the ultimate evil had been the Templars as they were portrayed in AC1.
#3zenandiPosted 2/9/2013 1:11:31 AM
But the apple, the original centrepiece of the AC 1 modern AND past plots, was already there in the first game, implying a greater civilization must have been in place in the lore by that point.

Now maybe they didn't actually pick how they wanted to play with TOWCB by then, but its fair to say that they had to exist in some sense by the first game.
#4ICEman MorgsPosted 2/9/2013 4:26:27 AM
The Eye-Abstergo satellite plan was explained by Juno in ACIII - TOWCB tried the same thing, trying to get everyone on earth to simply will the flare out of existence.
---
ICEman Morgs' Ignore list: Making GameFAQs a better place.
GT: Morgneto
#5Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:35:04 AM
But the apple, the original centrepiece of the AC 1 modern AND past plots, was already there in the first game, implying a greater civilization must have been in place in the lore by that point.

Not necessarily. It was simply unknown technology at that point. Could have been biblical, coulda been anything.

The Eye-Abstergo satellite plan was explained by Juno in ACIII - TOWCB tried the same thing, trying to get everyone on earth to simply will the flare out of existence.

The main plot and motivation of the Templars from the first game was waved away in a couple of lines of an e-mail by the third. As if to say "Oh yeah, we WERE going to do that, weren't we?"
And the original motivation wasn't for stopping a flare, it was simply to control people's thoughts, desires and beliefs so they could continue to run the world from the shadows.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6bobbyrkPosted 2/9/2013 8:21:47 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Not necessarily. It was simply unknown technology at that point. Could have been biblical, coulda been anything.

The main plot and motivation of the Templars from the first game was waved away in a couple of lines of an e-mail by the third. As if to say "Oh yeah, we WERE going to do that, weren't we?"
And the original motivation wasn't for stopping a flare, it was simply to control people's thoughts, desires and beliefs so they could continue to run the world from the shadows.

They explicitly say "those who came before" in AC1, and say they reverse engineered their technology for pretty much all modern technology. And they reference the satellite and Abstergo's plans in AC2, then Minerva says that the real problem is the solar flare. The satellite was mentioned in Brotherhood, as well, but Revelations was entirely inside the Animus so they never mention what's going on with Abstergo. Having them mention the satellite being canceled in an email makes sense, even if it wasn't pulled off as well as it could have been.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#7teddifiedPosted 2/9/2013 10:51:57 AM
They mention the Satellite when Desmond talks about Lucy, while he is putting in the power supplies I believe. I think Juno shows him a vision before he stabs her about how if she live she steals the apple and they fly the satellite and it just fails.

Then the solar flare can't really be stopped cause Desmond doesn't have the apple to enter the Temple or he is Captured/killed.
---
The Terror of Death.....
PSN - Teddified
#8Bloodlines1191Posted 2/9/2013 11:52:35 AM
And people say Fahrenheit jumped the shark. Why wasn't it till now that people finally cared? I blame the David Cage hatred bias.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#9Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 4:46:31 PM
I blame the David Cage hatred bias.

The what now?
---
#10scythecamPosted 2/9/2013 8:09:45 PM
ICEman Morgs posted...

This. The templars knew of the solar flare and were trying to stop it.
---
One-and-Donecos
More topics from this board...
Nine men's morris problemNairel227/22 12:34PM