Am I the only one who likes Desmond?

#1HeyWheresKelPosted 4/16/2013 9:46:49 PM
He's the only character who actually has some sort of relevance to the plot, the world, and is also cool. Ezio, Connor, Altair, they're all dead. Desmond is my favorite character. He has development.
---
"I see the way you look at him. I'm a man too, ya know? I go pee pee standing up!"
http://i.imgur.com/DtiOyo0.png
#2BluesSoul617Posted 4/16/2013 11:43:52 PM
Desmond is dead too.
---
Blues Soul 617
#3HagielPosted 4/17/2013 3:05:10 AM
I like Desmond. I just don't like how his story concludes.
---
It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray.
Garrus Vakarian
#4Rob_IndahoodPosted 4/17/2013 2:20:52 PM
Well, in the first game he was just our surrogate into the world. He doesn't know about, or at least seemed surprised at, all the things that are happening, he's just as confused about the Animus and it's capabilities as we are. In the second game he they attempt to give him more character, but I guess the main issue with Desmond is that he's just a normal dude. No outstanding characteristics like Shaun or Rebecca even. He's just a normal guy who yearned for a normal life until he finally saw that he had to grow up and be responsible for the world's well being.

It's kind of tough playing as a character who really can't do much on his own, and I guess that's where 3 started to change that but, well that can't really happen anymore. I never really disliked Desmond but, at the same time, I wasn't super excited to see him outside the Animus.
---
GT: Warhound07
#5ShinRaKnightPosted 4/17/2013 3:12:00 PM
I actually really like Desmond. I think the main drawback is that we didn't get to use him enough.

He was mainly a buffer between the characters. I liked how they started to use him much more in later games and eventually gave him missions in AC3.

If they did that from the start I personally feel he would be liked much more.
---
GT- Abyssal Shift
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShinRaKnight
#6SpiritMusePosted 4/18/2013 12:55:12 AM
I really liked Desmond. I started playing not too long ago and all but rushed through the games because I wanted to know what would happen to him next, treating the stories of Altair, Ezio and Connor almost as filler. I loved his missions in ACIII and was not well pleased with how it ended.

That being said, he could have been better and more interesting. Some of my favorite moments are when Juno forces him to stab Lucy and his flashback to the event in Revelations, because it actually causes him some emotional turmoil, and his angry rant against his father later, for the same reason. Other than that he never really got to do a lot of interesting character stuff, mostly playing the straight Hero who never fears, never falters and unfailingly does the right thing.

I'm in some ways reminded of the old Hercules series with Kevin Sorbo, where EVERYONE ELSE was more interesting than Hercules himself, even though he was the driving force behind most of the stories.

I would have liked for them to have made more of the bleeding effect and its effects on Desmond's sanity. He was having flashbacks and seeing ghosts, but never really seemed too perturbed by it, even knowing what happened to Sixteen, and later Daniel Cross. Even in Revelations as he was stuck in the computer he was remarkably blasÚ about the whole thing.
#7Billy-De-KidPosted 4/18/2013 4:11:47 PM
SpiritMuse posted...
I really liked Desmond. I started playing not too long ago and all but rushed through the games because I wanted to know what would happen to him next, treating the stories of Altair, Ezio and Connor almost as filler. I loved his missions in ACIII and was not well pleased with how it ended.

That being said, he could have been better and more interesting. Some of my favorite moments are when Juno forces him to stab Lucy and his flashback to the event in Revelations, because it actually causes him some emotional turmoil, and his angry rant against his father later, for the same reason. Other than that he never really got to do a lot of interesting character stuff, mostly playing the straight Hero who never fears, never falters and unfailingly does the right thing.

I'm in some ways reminded of the old Hercules series with Kevin Sorbo, where EVERYONE ELSE was more interesting than Hercules himself, even though he was the driving force behind most of the stories.

I would have liked for them to have made more of the bleeding effect and its effects on Desmond's sanity. He was having flashbacks and seeing ghosts, but never really seemed too perturbed by it, even knowing what happened to Sixteen, and later Daniel Cross. Even in Revelations as he was stuck in the computer he was remarkably blasÚ about the whole thing.

About the bleeding effect:

I think he realized that their is a bigger picture, and if he loses his cool, the world is boned.
---
"There's no problem you can't solve with a reasonable amount of violence" -Erin Stout
"CHEESE!!! CHEESE FOR EVERYBODY!!!" -Sheograth
#8LegendaryOozaruPosted 4/20/2013 11:05:38 PM
Hagiel posted...

My thoughts also. He deserved a better ending after learning so much about combat and leadership from Ezio.
#9SpiritMusePosted 4/23/2013 8:38:11 AM
LegendaryOozaru posted...
Hagiel posted...

My thoughts also. He deserved a better ending after learning so much about combat and leadership from Ezio.

Yes. This. I was hoping they would have Desmond use his skills and knowledge to slowly rebuild and revitalise the modern day Assassin's Brotherhood. Just like Alta´r did, just like Ezio did, just like Connor was starting to. Instead, all of that potential was just unceremoniously ended. Such a shame.