Why I think Redemption was the best thing in this game (Spoils - Ye Be Warned)

#1Kooler2006Posted 4/24/2013 6:02:36 AM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED all of AC3....but I cannot deny it was missing some of the things from previous games that I loved, such as lairs and 'dungeon'-like places to run through.

I loved the part toward the end when you were inside the pyramid, running through the halls and swinging from pole to pole. Reminded me a lot of AC2, even if for a short time...

and that final fight. Totally blew away the anti-climactic ending that was Charles Lee.

I think that what I am most pleased with, is that you don't actually kill Washington, and his speech in the cabin at the end of it all really got to me(I'm an American History nerd >.<)

So now that I have 100% this game, I think it's safe to say I am well satisfied and ready for Black Flag!

And speaking of Black Flag, Connor talked about Edward in the dlc! Wonder how he learned of him...not like he got much daddy time
#2Bloodlines1191Posted 4/24/2013 6:54:26 AM
Kooler2006 posted...
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED all of AC3....but I cannot deny it was missing some of the things from previous games that I loved, such as lairs and 'dungeon'-like places to run through.

I loved the part toward the end when you were inside the pyramid, running through the halls and swinging from pole to pole. Reminded me a lot of AC2, even if for a short time...

and that final fight. Totally blew away the anti-climactic ending that was Charles Lee.

I think that what I am most pleased with, is that you don't actually kill Washington, and his speech in the cabin at the end of it all really got to me(I'm an American History nerd >.<)

So now that I have 100% this game, I think it's safe to say I am well satisfied and ready for Black Flag!

And speaking of Black Flag, Connor talked about Edward in the dlc! Wonder how he learned of him...not like he got much daddy time

A satisfying conclusion to Connor. Still shame to see him forever hated by the industry. My favorite was the Civil Unrest. Reminds me of a more modernized version of the AC1 mission structure.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#3Skywarp99Posted 4/24/2013 11:49:57 AM
I thought the story was pretty terrible. Washington was a cartoonish super villain. Especially during the speech he gives from the balcony of the pyramid. about turning the rivers of England red with their blood, grind their bones, etc. I actually laughed out loud. and they never explain why the Redcoats are on your side in the DLCs. in this alternate universe, Washington won the Revolution, kicked out the British, and then took power with the Apple. yet somehow the Brits decided to sail back across the Atlantic to come back for more punishment?

and why did Connor's mom first hint at some mystical spirit power, then try to dissuade him from using it? the negative consequences of the spirit powers aren't ever shown. all you hear is Connor repeating the warning to his cousin/friend fellow tribesman, but he never really suffers any of the crap his mom was warning about.

What about your cousin/tribesman? in DLC 2 you spend a lot of it saving him. In the start of 3 he washes ashore, somehow Washington is just out for a stroll, nearly LOSES the apple despite all his super Apple powers, nearly dies.....then gets his ass saved by some grunts, and your cousin dies. what was the point in all that? Connor seems pretty unfazed....seemed very forced and a random quick way to eliminate a character they couldn't find a use for in the story. so many plot points in the main story and the DLC just seemed poorly written or thought out. While it's nice to see Jefferson since he was pretty much non-existent in the main game, he really didn't add anything new. it could have been Paul Revere, or another main story character inserted in his place.

and my god, the amount of wandering soldiers all throughout the maps.....in the main game I felt like there were already too many in the cities, I couldn't really explore as well as past ACs. but the DLC upped them 5x. yeah I know you're supposed to be in enemy territory now, but it just got really old, all the fighting, or hiding, even with super Spirit powers.
---
Gamertag - DarthBane99
PSN - Skywarp99
#4Skywarp99Posted 4/24/2013 11:55:17 AM
Kooler2006 posted...

Oh, and that seemed like a total blantant advertisement for AC4, since clearly you never had much time in the main game that Connor and his father talked. So how would Connor even know about his grandfather? the portions you interact with Connor and his dad, its a very tenuous and uneasy alliance, clearly they weren't swapping family stories by the fireside. Connor didn't have much love for his father's side, considering what happened to his mother's side, razing villages, murdering friends and family, y'know, little things like that.
---
Gamertag - DarthBane99
PSN - Skywarp99
#5InsaneKeltPosted 4/24/2013 12:07:27 PM
Skywarp99 posted...
I thought the story was pretty terrible. Washington was a cartoonish super villain. Especially during the speech he gives from the balcony of the pyramid. about turning the rivers of England red with their blood, grind their bones, etc. I actually laughed out loud. and they never explain why the Redcoats are on your side in the DLCs. in this alternate universe, Washington won the Revolution, kicked out the British, and then took power with the Apple. yet somehow the Brits decided to sail back across the Atlantic to come back for more punishment?

Never once were those stated to be British men. They were Jefferson's rebels who took up red coats to align themselves against the Bluecoats.

and why did Connor's mom first hint at some mystical spirit power, then try to dissuade him from using it? the negative consequences of the spirit powers aren't ever shown. all you hear is Connor repeating the warning to his cousin/friend fellow tribesman, but he never really suffers any of the crap his mom was warning about.

Were you not paying attention at all? Connor became as power hungry as Washington and was on the verge of being just as corrupt.

What about your cousin/tribesman? in DLC 2 you spend a lot of it saving him. In the start of 3 he washes ashore, somehow Washington is just out for a stroll, nearly LOSES the apple despite all his super Apple powers, nearly dies.....then gets his ass saved by some grunts, and your cousin dies. what was the point in all that? Connor seems pretty unfazed....seemed very forced and a random quick way to eliminate a character they couldn't find a use for in the story. so many plot points in the main story and the DLC just seemed poorly written or thought out. While it's nice to see Jefferson since he was pretty much non-existent in the main game, he really didn't add anything new. it could have been Paul Revere, or another main story character inserted in his place.

and my god, the amount of wandering soldiers all throughout the maps.....in the main game I felt like there were already too many in the cities, I couldn't really explore as well as past ACs. but the DLC upped them 5x. yeah I know you're supposed to be in enemy territory now, but it just got really old, all the fighting, or hiding, even with super Spirit powers.

Can't disagree with any of this.

Oh, and that seemed like a total blantant advertisement for AC4, since clearly you never had much time in the main game that Connor and his father talked. So how would Connor even know about his grandfather? the portions you interact with Connor and his dad, its a very tenuous and uneasy alliance, clearly they weren't swapping family stories by the fireside. Connor didn't have much love for his father's side, considering what happened to his mother's side, razing villages, murdering friends and family, y'know, little things like that.

Why would you assume Haytham told Connor about Edward instead of Achilles telling him? Achilles knows of Assassins from all over Asia and Europe, but he wouldn't know about Haytham's father?
---
XBOX Live Gamertag: Banfrau
'Cause having your gamertag in your sig is what the cool kids do.
#6Skywarp99Posted 4/24/2013 12:18:18 PM
I never once thought the spirit powers were making Connor power hungry or corrupt like Washington. there wasn't ever any negatives I could tell with the spirit power OTHER than the fact it drains your lifebar. but that was put in the game so you couldn't wolf cloak forever, or bear smash infinitely across the map.

Connor appears to become entranced by the power of the Apple is due to the Apple itself. it's not like the spirit animals are making him want to take the apple and rule the world. its the same magnetic pull that enraptured Al Mualim in AC1, the Borgias in AC2 and Washington in this DLC.

and yes, maybe Achilles told Connor, who knows. my bigger point is, Connor clearly doesn't care for his paternal lineage all too much, considering all that is happened. it seemed odd he would speak admiringly of his grandfather who he never knew, after all the crap he hated about his father.

which is ironic, since I personally liked the Haytham character a lot more than Connor.
---
Gamertag - DarthBane99
PSN - Skywarp99
#7Kooler2006(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 5:41:30 PM
Skywarp99 posted...
there wasn't ever any negatives I could tell with the spirit power OTHER than the fact it drains your lifebar. but that was put in the game so you couldn't wolf cloak forever, or bear smash infinitely across the map

That is the negative that his mother spoke of. It tears away at your life each time you use it. I think Connor was shown to be more resilient to it however. He also did it because it was the only way for him to defeat Washinton with the power of the apple

I also don't think he was on the verge of being corrupt like Washington. Connor wanted to take the apple from Washington to end the corruption. That was it.
#8antioppressionPosted 4/24/2013 6:47:32 PM
i'm glad folks are talking about the DLCs b/c i loved them and i thought nobody was playing them :-)
---
www.nohomophobes.com
#9BlackOps06Posted 4/24/2013 7:34:05 PM
Yeah, the pyramid infiltration part was cool, but it was ridiculously short: shorter than any of the dungeons in the ACII trilogy. That was the main problem with the DLC in general: too short for $10 a piece. And the Washington fight was lame because you couldn't die, seemingly (maybe you could if you really messed up). There was no health meter, and I certainly got hit a number of times, yet it didn't seem to matter at all and I won the first time. The final Charles Lee confrontation was anticlimatic, but I still felt it was more satisfying than this somehow (probably because Connor stabbing Lee in that tavern was badass). Assassin's Creed never does boss fights right anyway, so they might as well avoid them.
#10Pennywise380Posted 4/25/2013 5:13:52 AM
BlackOps06 posted...
And the Washington fight was lame because you couldn't die, seemingly (maybe you could if you really messed up).

He's trying to blast you over the edge of the Pyramid. If he hits you consecutive times you'll fall over the edge and desynchronise.

Overall I really enjoyed the DLC, but I do agree with those who appraised it as being too short and insubstantial for $30. I took my time reaching 100% completion in each Episode, and it only took me around 15 hours altogether. Compare that to, say, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, which only cost 800MSP and took around 25 hours to reach 100% completion.
---
''Snake from Metal Gear 2 owns everybody. Because he used an owl. To make a guard think it was night time. In the middle of the day. That's just hardcore''
More topics from this board...
Nine men's morris problemNairel227/22 12:34PM