Where do you want the AC series to go, settings wise?

#11___Django___Posted 5/2/2013 10:44:47 AM
Ancient Rome
Ancient China (Japan is overdone, but the forbidden city in China would be perfect)
Revolutionary France
Nazi Germany (be german and in the time prior to the war as well as during the war. Perhaps being part of the SS)
Mid 1800s England
Ancient Greece
Egypt
---
|¯¯\ _|¯|
|__/ |__|¤ «Enough data to choke a whale»
#12HagielPosted 5/2/2013 1:43:25 PM
___Django___ posted...
Ancient Rome
Ancient China (Japan is overdone, but the forbidden city in China would be perfect)
Revolutionary France
Nazi Germany (be german and in the time prior to the war as well as during the war. Perhaps being part of the SS)
Mid 1800s England
Ancient Greece
Egypt

All great settings but one:

___Django___ posted...

There is so much wrong with this. First and foremost: the assassins are supposed to be the good guys, how is being in the SS being the good guys???? I would never want to act as part of such a group not even if it's just in a video game! Seriously!!

Then there is the issue with the rapid fire guns that runis the AC feeling.

And we know WAY to much about this period, it would be boring to explore something you know like the back of your hand (Well, at least here in Germany we learn everything about it. Three times. In three different school subjects).

It's much more interesting to play events with not a lot of historical evidence because Ubisoft can act with more freedom in the way they want to execute it.
---
It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray.
Garrus Vakarian
#13bobbyrkPosted 5/2/2013 2:12:58 PM
Hagiel posted...
___Django___ posted...
Ancient Rome
Revolutionary France
Mid 1800s England
Ancient Greece
Egypt

All great settings but one:

___Django___ posted...

There is so much wrong with this. First and foremost: the assassins are supposed to be the good guys, how is being in the SS being the good guys???? I would never want to act as part of such a group not even if it's just in a video game! Seriously!!

And we know WAY to much about this period, it would be boring to explore something you know like the back of your hand (Well, at least here in Germany we learn everything about it. Three times. In three different school subjects).

It's much more interesting to play events with not a lot of historical evidence because Ubisoft can act with more freedom in the way they want to execute it.

Not to mention we know Hitler was a Templar and that they have emphatically stated we will never have an AC title in World War II.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#14___Django___Posted 5/3/2013 10:01:23 AM

I think that would be the most interesting part. Rather than focusing on the actual war, focus on the time prior to WWII. Focus on dark dealings and secret things occurring. Not battles so much as cloak and dagger kills.

Conspiracy theorists have plenty to say about WWII. AC could play off of those.

They could make it work. Everyone thought that any type of gun would ruin AC, but it worked fine in ACIII.

There's plenty of room for freedom on their part.

Not to mention we know Hitler was a Templar and that they have emphatically stated we will never have an AC title in World War II.

Just because Hitler is a templar doesn't mean every Nazi was a templar.
---
|¯¯\ _|¯|
|__/ |__|¤ «Enough data to choke a whale»
#15IamvegitoPosted 5/3/2013 3:19:50 PM
I think it could be cool. Dietrich Bonhoeffer for head assassin.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#16Mental_CrushPosted 5/3/2013 4:40:15 PM
India during British Invasion. It could start with the uneasy peace between the Mughal Empire and the Maharata Confederacy and then depict the destruction of both by the British East India Company.
---
"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."
#17SRR Capdown(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 12:59:06 AM
I have to echo what TheChrisRichter said about the Mexican American War being a poor choice because of the lack of tall buildings to parkour on. The AC series was at its best in Renaissance Italy because of the beautiful historical environment to interact with (complete with amazing monumental architecture that is still intact today). On paper, the American Revolution in AC3 seemed like it could be fun, but I think it struggled at least in part because that period was defined more by events than the environment itself, and storytelling is not one of the the AC series' strong suits. To be successful, the series really needs settings defined by an impressive physical environment as much as the conflict taking place there.

I liked the environments in AC3. Maybe the towns could have been more interesting and had more climbing, but the woodlands/Frontier stuff was great and worked really well IMO. They cold easily do something similar again. Have two smaller towns and a 'Frontier' region. At least in this setting we would see a vast difference in building structures; Mexican style stone and clay buildings and the Colonial wood style buildings used in American towns.

Just because Hitler is a templar doesn't mean every Nazi was a templar.

Nobody would want to play as a Nazi though. Yes, there were plenty (probably most), who joined because they didn't really have much of a choice (it was do or die). But the things they did and stood for were still wrong. Why would you want to play as someone like that?

And I agree with Hagiel, we simply know far too much about the period for it to provide enough freedom for Ubisoft to play with. It's too recent and we know too much for them to take as many liberties with the historical content as they did with AC1-3.

India during British Invasion. It could start with the uneasy peace between the Mughal Empire and the Maharata Confederacy and then depict the destruction of both by the British East India Company.

If we were to do British Empire/European Colonisation, I'd much rather they focus on Africa than Asia. Colonial Egypt would be interesting. A lot of people would like Ancient Egypt, but I think Colonial Egypt would be better. Rediscovering ancient ruins, stopping Templars from gaining access to them and the knowledge they hold etc.
---
Fire Bucket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/ron.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/BtJ6F.gif
#18SteelToothPosted 5/4/2013 11:51:58 AM
IlluminatusCU posted...
TheChrisRichter posted...
That would be too much Red Dead Redemption.

I agree, I think that would be a hard sell.

I think the Russian Revolution could make for a good setting.

I agree with Russia, plus it could tie into Nikolai Orelov's story.
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#19Kooler2006Posted 5/5/2013 12:21:00 AM
Feudal Japan. The whole Samurai thing could work. There is some decent architecture in that period that would be fun to scale, and the combat wouldn't be too much different from the current form in the games
#20HagielPosted 5/5/2013 11:02:22 AM
___Django___ posted...
I think that would be the most interesting part. Rather than focusing on the actual war, focus on the time prior to WWII. Focus on dark dealings and secret things occurring. Not battles so much as cloak and dagger kills.

Oh, but they were quite open with what they wanted and acted like it. Prior to the SS there was the SA. It was Hitler's group of thugs before he became Reichskanzler. He just wasn't the subtle type.

And my point still stands: I don't want to act out the things the SS did.

Conspiracy theorists have plenty to say about WWII. AC could play off of those.

Yes and they were covered a thousand times in films/comics... Indiana Jones, Captain America,.... Boring.
Some conspiracies talk about Hitler having found an UFO and that he was about to fly into space...

They could make it work. Everyone thought that any type of gun would ruin AC, but it worked fine in ACIII.

In my opinion it's a huge difference if it's a weapon that can fire one shot and then needs reloading for half a minute and with the accuracy of a drunken rhino, or if I have an assault rifle or even a sniper rifle

There's plenty of room for freedom on their part.

Well, I disagree :-)

But the point is moot anyway since Ubisoft decides the settings and they said they will never do an AC game in WWII, so I have nothing to worry about.
---
It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray.
Garrus Vakarian