Just got the game.

#1thunderl1psPosted 12/16/2013 5:06:27 PM
Been wanting it for a while. My question is, do i have to play Assassins Creed 2 first or is this a stand alone game?
#2bobbyrkPosted 12/16/2013 5:53:05 PM
This is the fifth game in a very story-centric series, despite it being called AC3 (there are two successor titles to AC2 - numbered titles are saved for new ancestors in new settings). It doesn't do a very good job of summarizing what's going on, and you'll miss a lot of the storyline reasons for things.

I mean, you could play it without playing the others, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for the series.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#3Kooler2006Posted 12/17/2013 1:41:03 AM
If you have never played any of the previous games, you will be in the dark a good bit. At the very least I would suggest you read up on the backstory of the previous games, however even more I would suggest that you go back and play the previous games.
---
XBL: Kooler2
Altair>Edward>Connor>Ezio
#4thunderl1ps(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 1:17:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I played the first game, and nothing since. I guess I will start on the 2nd game first, and I know I can pick up the others pretty cheap used. I just wish i could play the 3rd. The American Revolution setting appeals to me.
#5Maniac_DancePosted 12/17/2013 10:27:03 PM
TC, I've only played AC 1 and AC 2. I played a little bit of brotherhood but I don't remember any of it. Only playing those first two games, I have a perfectly clear idea of what's going on and where the story is at. So my recommendation would be to just play those 2 so you're not completely in the dark. If you don't want to or can't for some reason, just look up story discussions on youtube as they'll fill you in on a lot of the details and you can just pick up where they leave off.
---
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.
#6Sonic CannonPosted 12/18/2013 1:34:48 AM
thunderl1ps posted...
Thanks for the input. I played the first game, and nothing since. I guess I will start on the 2nd game first, and I know I can pick up the others pretty cheap used. I just wish i could play the 3rd. The American Revolution setting appeals to me.

Yeah, the most important ones to play would be AC1 and especially 2. I personally really enjoyed the city environments in Brotherhood and Revelations as well, as well as the Altair parts of Revelations.

Fair warning about AC3: The middle 2 quarters of the game are pretty slow and boring. The first sequence is great, and the last few are good again, but most of the middle sucks. I suggest focusing your efforts on side-missions like the boat stuff and the Pegleg missions.
---
Keep it green.
#7thunderl1ps(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 7:25:01 AM
will do. I thanks for all the input.
#8Wolfie80Posted 12/20/2013 3:31:32 PM
these are my thoughts on the subject...

the first assassin's game i played was 3, A friend of mine owned it and i always was interested in them so i gave it a go. The revolution was an added bonus because i mean how can you not like the era of time.At first I was like wtf are these games really this slow. The first six sequences for me was like pulling hairs. They never give you a great grasp on whats going on with the game but as I progressed it was a wrap. I fell in love with the game it was amazing. The sheer vastness of it was intimidating at first but by around the middle i could not put it down!

Now for my disclaimer, partly by accident (An authorized download on my account) i got assassins creed 2, from what I had read no biggie, I really liked three and everyone says that 2 is the best of the series. Going back in time figuratively and literally though was absolutely painful for me, the characters in the game look awful to me and i am having a hard time getting past that. I understand that it is a few years dated now but in 2009 Arkham asylum came out and that game still looks fresh. Those bug eyes, huge feet i just can't help but not feel as into it as i was AC3.

So this is my warning... If you want the complete story (Which isn't to hard to pick up anyway) def start with the earlier games, also it is really difficult to go back to a game that is older because mechanics are always improving hardly ever degrading. Al ot of purists will probably hate me for this, but to me ac2 just isn't as smooth of a game, looks dated and lacks the combat quality of 3.
#9thunderl1ps(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 5:16:29 AM
Thanks for the input Wolfie. I really want to play three, but I am still halfway through 2. I also have Brotherhood to play through first. I for one don't really care about the storyline, but everyone is telling me what a big mistake it would be to not play through them in order...
#10InsomniacFurrePosted 1/14/2014 2:17:19 PM
So...I bought the trinket map in the shops (finally got the game a couple weeks ago, FINALLY), and collected all the trinkets that appear on the maps (It also reveals the ones in caves, so don't say to check caves), but there's one more left to find before Peg Leg will give me his fourth mission. Anyone know where it is?