My Suggestions for playing this game

#1tylerh1701Posted 3/11/2011 3:39:38 PM
I've been able to beat it a few times, with the fighter and theif class, and both of the unlockables associated with them. I just thought I'd post a few of my strategies when playing.

- Save health and mana potions for the level 10 boss! Do your best to heal and replentish mana when fighting lower enemies by exploring the dungeon.

- Explore the dungeon as little as possible, and every time there is a winnable fight, take it, then go explore to refill health, mana.

- Grind gold. Gold carries over from one game to the next, so it's best to always start the level with max or near max gold, so you can buy the good items that randomly pop up.

- You don't need to kill every monster before fighting the 10. I usually end up leaving a couple 8s and 9s on the board, because by the time you're almost finished, you will have very few spaces left to explore, and you don't want to waste any potions fighting these 8s and 9s. I've taken down bosses with my character as low as level 8.

- Fully plan out your strategy versus the level 10 boss before starting. Use a calculator if necessary to figure out exactly how much damage each of your attacks will cause and how much damage you can do.

- Usually I end up beating bosses by hitting him with all the fireballs I can, using up all my mana and mana potions. Then I grind up all my glyphs that are no longer useful. After that I start attacking and using up my health potions. Keep in mind that you can figure out whether you're gonna win the fight this way before you start.

- Grind up useless glyphs. My favorites are being human and grinding them into attack power (grind at later levels if you're a human, because your attack power goes up more than grinding at early levels does), or being a halfling and grinding them into very useful health potions.

- Luck is also required for this game. I win probably less than 25%, and it gets frustrating. Sometimes you just get dealt the wrong mosters at the wrong levels for your specific class. I wish the creator would have actually made it a little bit simpler, so the player could win about 50% of the time. Or maybe I'm just not that good at this game. Definitely a possibility.
#2FerretDruidPosted 3/30/2011 6:01:46 PM
- You don't need to kill every monster before fighting the 10. I usually end up leaving a couple 8s and 9s on the board, because by the time you're almost finished, you will have very few spaces left to explore, and you don't want to waste any potions fighting these 8s and 9s. I've taken down bosses with my character as low as level 8.

My first boss kill was at level 6 with either the thief or fighter (can't remember which). I've had several other level 6 wins since then with various classes. I'd be interested in knowing if it's possible to do it earlier.

- Grind up useless glyphs. My favorites are being human and grinding them into attack power (grind at later levels if you're a human, because your attack power goes up more than grinding at early levels does), or being a halfling and grinding them into very useful health potions.

I found Gnome to be the most useful in general because with enough mana you can do crazy things, though certain strategies make it an impractical choice (like worshiping Taurog or Binlor).

- Luck is also required for this game. I win probably less than 25%, and it gets frustrating. Sometimes you just get dealt the wrong mosters at the wrong levels for your specific class. I wish the creator would have actually made it a little bit simpler, so the player could win about 50% of the time. Or maybe I'm just not that good at this game. Definitely a possibility.

A little strategy and a LOT of luck. That's a roguelike for you :p The game is a little easier than it was made out to be in the tutorial though. It could be a lot worse...
---
Bear with me... things are about to get grizzly!
Fox is HOT!