[FAQ] The Auto-Save Glitch Guide

#1Lastat27Posted 9/10/2011 10:41:57 PMmessage detail
What is the Auto-Save Glitch?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Auto-Save glitch is a bug which affects players who play online. After a random amount of time your game will stop saving its progress and your PS3 Trophies will no longer be obtained. All progress made after receiving this glitch is erased once you quit to the PS3's XMB screen. Your save in the PS3 "Saved Data Folder" will also confirm this. Your Level, Chapter, and Play Time listed will not be what it was before you quit the game.

How do I get this glitch?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Auto-Save Glitch only occurs if you play the game online. It appears to be directly connected to the game asking if you want to 'join' another players game. Dead Island pegs you as an 'Online Player' even if your current settings are set to <Single Player> as you still continue to receive these 'joining' messages. The following are the various online connection settings and whether or not they receive the Auto-Save Glitch:

Game Type <Single Player>
PSN: Online
Auto-Save Bug: YES
Comment: Your game keeps connecting to other players online forcing the glitch.

Game Type <Single Player>
PSN: Offline
Auto-Save Bug: NO
Comment: Sign out from the Playstation Network or remove your internet cable.

Game Type <Cooperative>
Game Visibility <Playstation Network>
Auto-Save Bug: YES
Comment: You run the risk of glitchdom. Sleep with one eye open and be very afraid.

Game Type <Cooperative>
Game Visibility <LAN>
PSN: Online
Auto-Save Bug: NO
Comment: A LAN match prevents you from connecting to other players while also allowing you to remain signed in to the Playstation Network.

How do I know if my current game is fine?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Whenever the game auto-saves you'll see small text on the left side of the screen saying "Game Saved." At the exact same time a red bio-hazard symbol will appear at the top right of your screen showing that the game is indeed saving. This bio-hazard symbol also appears during "Check Points", when you start missions, when you complete missions, quitting to the main title screen, and even during random intervals. This bio-hazard symbol indicates that your PS3 is currently updating your saved game data on your PS3. Every time the game saves its progress this bio-hazard symbol will appear. This is what you want to see at all times.

2. Whenever you fulfill the requirements to unlock a trophy you'll see small text on the left side of the screen saying "Trophy Obtained: [name of trophy]." At the same time you'll see the same trophy 'ping' on the top right of the screen. This lets you know the trophy has been unlocked and is saved on your PS3 system. This is what you want to see at all times.

3. Whenever you search for a coop game using [<Cooperative> <Playstation Network>] settings you'll be given a list of rooms to pick and choose from. This is how the coop runs under normal circumstances. You have not been affected by the glitch.

[Page 1/2]
---
PSN: Galactimus | Interest: Dead Island, Disgaea 4, Sacred 2
The Purna Database: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942713-dead-island/60270910
#2Lastat27(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2011 10:48:02 PMmessage detail(edited)
The Three Tell-tale Signs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. When you see the "Game Saved" message you will no longer see the red bio-hazard symbol on the top right indicating the PS3 is trying to save. In fact, once you are struck by this glitch you will never see the bio-hazard symbol again. The game is no longer saving progress and never will from this point forward.

2. When you complete a trophies requirement your trophy will not unlock or 'ping' at the top right. It will not be saved to your PS3. You have been struck by the glitch.

3. When you search for a coop game under [<Cooperative> <Playstation Network>] settings there will be 0 rooms to choose from. You are not too high a level nor are you in an underpopulated part of the map. You have been struck by the glitch.

All three of these things happen the moment your game is glitched. "Auto-save" glitch isn't really an accurate term because it encompasses far more then that. Immediately quit to the XMB menu the moment you experience any one of these problems as nothing you do from this point on will be saved. Keeping an eye on these three things will help you prevent a massive loss in progress.

How can you fix your save once you've been affected?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sadly, your progress has been forever lost and cannot be recovered. Furthermore when your game is glitched that character will NEVER be able to save their game again even if you turn off your PS3. However, you can fix this by setting your options to <Single Player> [PSN: Offline] and your game will continue to save properly again.

Wow that's sticky!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope this has helped everyone understand the Auto-Save Glitch a little better and how to best avoid this issue for the immediate future. To prevent even more players from experiencing the madness and sorrow brought along with this glitch I beseech you to send a sticky request to your local moderator. Many topics pop up every day stating a loss in levels, chapters, and brain cells. Here's hoping for a speedy patch so we can carry on with our daily coop lives.

[Page 2/2]
---
#3ElvinWasHerePosted 9/10/2011 10:51:14 PMmessage detail
You da' man Lastat
#4GundamFanTPosted 9/10/2011 11:16:24 PMmessage detail
Sticky requested. Helped me a lot
---
Proud Papa of two gamers-in-the-making
PSN ID/gamertag:GundamFanT
#5MaxTyrealPosted 9/10/2011 11:17:41 PMmessage detail
How can you fix your save once you've been affected?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sadly, your progress has been forever lost and cannot be recovered. Furthermore when your game is glitched that character will NEVER be able to save their game again even if you turn off your PS3. However, you can fix this by setting your options to <Single Player> [PSN: Offline] and your game will continue to save properly again.

Sorry to say that this part is BS!

I knew of the glitch, was affected last night and lost only 15min, after playing for 9 hours!
Then restarted my PS3 and did not change anything!
Online and on Co-op
Game save everything from early this morning ( 4 hours) and from everything i did this evening! (2 hours)
Tonight I played again about 6 hours and the game was beginning to do weird stuff,(was after about 4 hours) it felt like the glitch popped up again.
So I just finished a quest and fast travelled! quit game went back and yes! I lost about a hour of work!

Sorry to say but this glitch is just uber random!
It can hit you after 10min or after 10hours!
#6seksii_GUrL_xoxPosted 9/10/2011 11:18:32 PMmessage detail
stop spamming this crap.
---
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpwauq0xtU1qacznfo1_500.gif
#7Lastat27(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2011 11:33:06 PMmessage detail(edited)
MaxTyreal posted...

Sorry to say but this glitch is just uber random!
It can hit you after 10min or after 10hours!

I posted right at the beginning of the guide that this glitch happens at random intervals while playing online. The section you quoted simply means that if your current character has been hit with the glitch you can switch to Single Player in order to get the game saving correctly again. The only progress you lose forever is everything you accomplished after being hit by the glitch.
---
#8Lastat27(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2011 11:36:00 PMmessage detail(edited)
seksii_GUrL_xox posted...
stop spamming this crap.

These topics have helped numerous people avoid this glitch. If we can get this sticky'd we can simply point everyone is this direction whenever another save glitch topic pops up. It'll also reduce the number of said topics altogether and make the entire forum smell like jollypops and gamebows. (^_^ ;; )

---
#9zombodyPosted 9/10/2011 11:41:33 PMmessage detail
seksii_GUrL_xox posted...
stop spamming this crap.

I wasnt buying this game knowing about this glitch. Lestat just sold another copy of dead island, maybe you should stop spamming crap? maybe??
#10DTGthePERVPosted 9/10/2011 11:42:19 PMmessage detail
I think Lastat27 is right on the matters of what we know so far regarding the save glitch.

If anyone has documented proof of someone that has played the game entirely on (Single Player / LAN) settings, and they still got the "Auto Save" glitch, please upload the video online. I have to see a video showing just exactly that. No other options, video is truth (No Edits). If I don't see a video of the flaw in the previously chosen game type, it is simply a fabricated lie.
---
"An unwillingness to see will not unmake the truth"