What the hell? Do I understand this correctly? (item storage related)

#1NogahamPosted 9/5/2012 7:27:58 PM
So, right from the beginning of the game you have access to a ton of different items (from chests, enemy drops, harvesting, the shop and synth) but you have a 50 item inventory limit and you have to wait until freaking chapter 4 until you get a way to store items?

Who the freaking hell came up with this incredibly bothersome idea? That does not make sense at all. It's just stupid. It's like they purposely restrict you and punch you in the face by giving you far too many items when you cannot even store them in any way. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

Why should the player have to wait so long for a storage possibility? Why even go through the whole doing a quest for unlocking it thing? I do like unlocking new features in a game and all. But this was just a very stupid idea because of how unnecessarily restrictive it is.

I see crap like this in new games nowadays and I wonder why the hell stuff like this is still happening. Don't game developers learn anything new? Why do bad design decisions of the past (and new bad ones alike) still happen so often? This is in no way a good design decision and should not be put into any game that is supposed to be fun to play.
#2TeslaviPosted 9/5/2012 7:50:01 PM
Dungeon crawlers aren't supposed to be fun to play.
#3Alfieri xPosted 9/5/2012 8:17:19 PM
Yes, it is a pain, the problem is that it is unlocked through a quest and halfway chapter 4. But don't worry almost none of the items you get up to that point is that good. Just sell everything extra you get. So you get money to buy stuff. Don't release any followers, so you don't have to carry their animas.

Don't give up yet. It's nice once in a while a game challenge you to the point that it doesn't matter how much you grind. It's still hard.
---
"I call upon thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy fury of thunder.... Indignation!!!" - Genis Sage
#4Nogaham(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2012 8:28:54 PM
Teslavi posted...
Dungeon crawlers aren't supposed to be fun to play.

Well I haven't played that many dungeon crawlers but I have played some so far and none of those pulled something like this.

Also I did enjoy the dungeon crawlers I played (there were some roguelikes as well as Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey and maybe some stuff I don't remember right now).

And from time to time I even don't mind a little challenge. But this here is no challenge. It's just forcing the player to sell off all items but the stuff you actually need until somewhat later you get to keep all of it anyways. It just doesn't make much sense as a design decision.

Also, challenge is something that should only be forced upon the player to a certain extent. Beyond that it should be optional. But that's just a side note.
#5kaplyPosted 9/6/2012 1:44:24 AM
It's not as bad as you think. Every time you start a new chapter you get a new 50 inventory slots, once you get to chapter 4 it all combines back together mid way through chapter 4.
#6Nogaham(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2012 2:39:40 AM
kaply posted...
It's not as bad as you think. Every time you start a new chapter you get a new 50 inventory slots, once you get to chapter 4 it all combines back together mid way through chapter 4.

I figured as much, but thanks for clearing that up anyway.
#7RiliyksPosted 9/6/2012 2:43:01 PM
Aside from that, Fang's group is the only team that can have issues with item storage, chapters 2/3 are short enough so don't worry.

And yeah, with the exception of a handful of stat ups you can get prior to storage, no sense in holding onto anything.

Aside from that, just be glad the game actually gives you that much space. Games like class of hero's and the wizardry titles have FAAAAAAAAAAR less carrying capacity and it's per character, counting their equipment.
---
Pkmn Diamond FC 2964-5171-5195
Gameplay>Graphics Typos hapen.
#8Nogaham(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2012 5:23:45 PM
Don't those games have a storage system?
#9RiliyksPosted 9/7/2012 3:24:37 PM
Nogaham posted...
Don't those games have a storage system?

Wizardy, nope. Closest you'll ever get is buying your items back from the shop at 2x the sell price. (Not like gold is used from much of anything after a point in that game.)

Class of hero's does have a storage center, but it's also limited. (Albiet you'll be hard pressed to run out of space if you don't just go super hoarder)

Personally, I'd still say Unchained Blades is pretty easy compareatively speaking to most other dungeon crawlers... which isn't a bad thing but.
---
Pkmn Diamond FC 2964-5171-5195
Gameplay>Graphics Typos hapen.