Anyone else think that the game strongly suggests that you save... *SPOILERS*

#1AyahRivenPosted 4/27/2012 11:13:47 AM
Doug over Carley? Just got done with my second playthrough, and it seems to me that there are plenty of not-so-subtle hints that suggest that saving Doug might be the better choice down the road. Here's what I've noticed so far:

1) Doug's already established himself as a reliable, good-guy "hero," by saving Carley once before.
2) When you speak to Doug outside outside the Pharmacy, Lee says "maybe this dorky stuff might actually save a live for once" (paraphrasing,) to which Doug responds "who says it already hasn't?" Further reinforcing Doug's selfless attitude.
3) Doug's proven to be intelligent, resourceful, helpful and brave.
4) Carley's proven to be a selfish coward by wanting to leave the woman in the Motel.
5) Carley's proven to be a little bit on the dumb side, not being able to figure out how to put batteries in the correct way.

I just thought these little things were interesting. Like most people, I chose to save Carley in my "main" playthrough, but now I'm sort of regretting it. Good shot or not, selfish and stupid isn't much help.
#2topdodPosted 4/27/2012 11:18:55 AM
I picked Doug because I figured a gun could also be a liability. Sooner or later she might run out of ammo plus the noise the gun makes is a danger.

Not to mention I thought it was too predictable to pick her.
---
only god shall judge me
#3rktPYZQShWzPosted 4/27/2012 11:51:01 AM

It should also be added that she also knows that Lee is a killer. However that may be a good thing because it means if Larry does spoil the beans you have someone on your side who's already fine with you being a killer. Doug on the other hand might not be so good with that.

#4CamperWenPosted 4/27/2012 11:52:04 AM
Really? I felt the opposite. The game gives you more conversations with Carley, provoking more empathy for her while I felt like I don't really know Doug at all. I mean, all Lee did was squat outside the shop with him chatting about banal stuff while on the other hand, Carley followed you cruising over to the motel to save Glenn's ass (I'd love more problem solving sequences like this though!). She may not know how to use batteries, but if a real zombie apocalypse were to happen, I'm guessing that I'd be more inclined to hide behind the crack shot.

But of course, that's just my opinion. I didn't really like that some choices were clear-cut (though I believe the choice to allow the girl to euthanise herself might be one worth pondering upon). I believe a normal person would favour Duck over Shawn. The show and comics focus a lot on how people would do anything do protect a child in this horrible new world, and I believe fans would be more inclined to save Duck over Shawn. It also wasn't cool that there's no discernible difference between the choices. Shawn dies either way.
---
Your aim is so pathetic I'd be more worried if you were aiming for the guy next to me.
#5GuilmonDXPosted 4/27/2012 8:04:34 PM
Need her to mate.

And I chose Shawn over Duck. Duck reminded me too much of Carl, and the sooner he "leaves", the better.
---
Super Street Fighter 4: 3D friend code: 2019-9664-1649
NOTE: Anyone's who has added me before, re-add me. This is the correct friend-code.
#6EnragedSlithPosted 4/27/2012 11:35:33 PM
I figured you'd just toss Carley the purse and then run to help Doug. I mean, I knew the game was forcing you to pick one of them, but I still wanted to believe that's how it would play out. At least, that's what I would do.
#7AyahRiven(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2012 12:50:27 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems like it's pushing you in both directions, making the decision that much harder. I also saved Shawn, and I have no idea why. I already knew he'd die, because of the comics, but it just felt natural to go for him, despite Duck being a kid. I think it's because I'd spoken to Kenny a bit earlier and he'd "been on the last ****er that grabbed him in seconds."

I actually really love how the choices in this game work, and all the subtle hints you can or cannot take.
#8sneakysnakePosted 4/28/2012 2:25:15 AM
Not really. Most players will receive suggestions from their groin rather than from game design.
---
PSN: sneakysnake128
#9creativemePosted 4/28/2012 5:54:56 PM
i picked carley so i could have a 3some with her and lily <_<
---
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7176/dancedancedamn.gif
#10AyahRiven(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 9:01:24 AM
Not really. Most players will receive suggestions from their groin rather than from game design.

Well, I'd like to think that most people would put a little more thought in-

i picked carley so i could have a 3some with her and lily <_<

... Yeah, okay. Point taken.