So *spoilerific*

#1Crimson PhantomPosted 5/3/2012 6:23:52 PM
1.) Buy the game and you get the 'season' correct?

I'm pretty sure that is the case

2.) How can these people be as stupid as they are...

examples
a.) Upon finding out you are in a zombie doomsday scenario you need to have something to defend yourself... at all times...
- entering the house without taking the rake or other weapon outside = stupid
- entering the house and not immediately taking a knife or other kitchen weapon = stupid
- Repeat ad nasum in the game...

Yes flight is better than fight in a one bite you die scenario, but you would need to weigh risk vs reward

b.) Dur batteries go in how now? Yes lets just be amazed at how stupid and helpeless everyone is... oh wow I'm hungry... in a STORE that has food, lets not check the shelves ourselves... oh hey lets NOT inspect the WHOLE layout of the place we are in, lets leave some walkers in the bathroom... NO you CLEAR the building when you set up residence... DUR

c.) I leave my guns unloaded / minimally loaded... dur... NO in this scenario ANY person with a gun would be smart enough to reload it and have as many bullets in it as possible at any given time...

d.) Hey lets set up a fence around a farm, oh gosh gee wilkers I couldn't see the zombies lumbering towards me until they were right on top of me... da dur DUR! Basically foolish morons, its not like zombies use advanced ninja stealth tactics or nothing

e.) Pretty much everyone at ALL times being excessivly loud, yelling and calling out... perfect example, the guy who is with you outside the front yelling HAVE YOU FOUND THEM YET... like DUR, please

... I can go on and on but just WOW STUPID WOW!

I would continue but wow

they NEED to have a better writer take over for the other episodes, unless you want me to take my typical horror movie route where I am like yeah you just did something so Darwinistically stupid that you now deserve to be removed from the gene pool...

Choose between guy who is holding a window shut while zombies attack or a girl who won't keep her firearm in good condition? In that situation I'd be like ah no, you are a both a liability to the group and you both get to die...

Make weapons, if you are inside something like that well gosh you could make some sharp spear like objects

So basically my take on part 1

Graphics 7/10... nothing special
Gameplay 4/10 clunky point and shoot, does the trick but really its nothing great
Story 1.5/10... gets a helping hand from being about zombies, but then the poor portrayal of people really makes me wonder... no one could be that stupid, I refuse to believe it.
Difficulty 1/10... Some go to a to get z which you need to take to b to get y and then return wtih y to a to progress things but thats not difficult, its just odd... All zombie fights are easy I would prefer either remove the QTE or make them involve more than just mash key then press other key...
---
i7 2600k 5.4 (!) GHZ | H70 Hydro Cooling | 1TB SATA3 6GB/S HHD | 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dominator Ram | AMD Radeon HD 6970 | 850W Power
#2FaYt2021Posted 5/3/2012 6:34:09 PM
So... I take it you didn't like it.
---
Bethesda... what has become of you?
#3Crimson Phantom(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 6:38:49 PM
I didn't dislike it

but they better drastically improve the writing for the future ones

you can either go

Great gameplay, moderate writing

or AMAZING writing, poor gameplay

but you can't do

poor writing and mediocre gameplay
---
i7 2600k 5.4 (!) GHZ | H70 Hydro Cooling | 1TB SATA3 6GB/S HHD | 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dominator Ram | AMD Radeon HD 6970 | 850W Power
#4lizardo_mansonPosted 5/4/2012 4:35:45 AM
I agree with you. The first time i played i saw the rake or some wood pole that is near a cornet of a wall i said "yess, a weapon" and then i realized it was so dumb to pick it.
#5OrangeSchweesePosted 5/4/2012 3:56:32 PM
The main attractions here are the choice system and the zombie setting. Honestly, neither the gameplay nor the writing are that great. I mean, Carley is amazing with a pistol, but then she can't even replace the batteries on a radio. It makes no sense. Still a fun game, though.
#6AyahRivenPosted 5/5/2012 1:00:16 PM
a.) Upon finding out you are in a zombie doomsday scenario you need to have something to defend yourself... at all times...
- entering the house without taking the rake or other weapon outside = stupid
- entering the house and not immediately taking a knife or other kitchen weapon = stupid
- Repeat ad nasum in the game...

Yes flight is better than fight in a one bite you die scenario, but you would need to weigh risk vs reward

You're obviously new to TWD. In TWD's universe, zombies do not exist. Romero never made his movies, and nobody would have any idea what you were talking about if you were to suggest the re-animated dead as monsters. So when Lee wakes up from the car crash, he literally has no idea what is going on. It's the same in the comics; Rick doesn't arm himself for quite a while, because these characters aren't aware of what a "zombie doomsday scenario" is, let alone being in one.

b.) Dur batteries go in how now? Yes lets just be amazed at how stupid and helpeless everyone is... oh wow I'm hungry... in a STORE that has food, lets not check the shelves ourselves... oh hey lets NOT inspect the WHOLE layout of the place we are in, lets leave some walkers in the bathroom... NO you CLEAR the building when you set up residence... DUR

Agreed on the first point there. Carley is dumb, that's the point that's being stressed with the batteries. The energy bars are left to give the player some extra choice, and the walker's in the bathroom so you get another QTE, and another chance to protect Clementine. I didn't find any of these things to be "terrible writing" as much as they were concessions to allow for more gameplay/choices.

c.) I leave my guns unloaded / minimally loaded... dur... NO in this scenario ANY person with a gun would be smart enough to reload it and have as many bullets in it as possible at any given time...

Her gun wasn't partially loaded. If you listen to her gunshots during that scene, she runs through a full clip.

d.) Hey lets set up a fence around a farm, oh gosh gee wilkers I couldn't see the zombies lumbering towards me until they were right on top of me... da dur DUR! Basically foolish morons, its not like zombies use advanced ninja stealth tactics or nothing

Duck ran over his leg and when Shawn yelled out in agony, he attracted the zombies. Not sure how you didn't get that bit.

e.) Pretty much everyone at ALL times being excessivly loud, yelling and calling out... perfect example, the guy who is with you outside the front yelling HAVE YOU FOUND THEM YET... like DUR, please

The argument inside the drug store was fine, and even the characters pointed out how people shouting is going to get them all killed. The Doug shouting thing was a little idiotic, I'll concede.

So no, I don't think this game does need new writers. I think they're doing incredibly well, and nothing has taken me out of the experience to the degree it apparently has you, yet. I think it fits very much in line with Kirkman's own writing in the comics. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it is interesting.
#7The Ghost SongPosted 5/5/2012 4:59:38 PM
I found the people behaved realistically. Very few people can act competently in a crisis, no matter how much we all believe we are capable of doing so.

Thats why you see stories about nightclub fires where the patrons start trampling each other to escape and jamming up the exits, killing dozens when they all could have survived by filing out in an orderly fashion.
#8SyggysPosted 5/6/2012 8:08:29 PM
The Ghost Song posted...
I found the people behaved realistically. Very few people can act competently in a crisis, no matter how much we all believe we are capable of doing so.

Pretty much this. Its very easy to SAY "oh i'd do such and such if this happened", but until you're actually in a life and death situation you can't possibly understand what its like. I guarantee that if you ever found yourself in a situation like this you would react very differently from how you THINK you would react.

Anyway, as for all the tripping and falling and being stupid, thats pretty much a staple of the zombie/horror genre. Like it almost wouldn't work as a genre without it. The whole point is to make you go "OMG lkasjd GET UP QUICK ASLDJSLKJD!!".
---
UK/EU
PSN: SygBoss
#9OutcastDuke371Posted 5/6/2012 9:31:53 PM

One thing I couldn't understand was " Why do you need to break the combination lock in the front of the building?" You could just go out the back door around the building and get the pharmacy key! 

#10lionheart5656Posted 5/6/2012 9:32:17 PM

Agreed on the first point there. Carley is dumb, that's the point that's being stressed with the batteries. The energy bars are left to give the player some extra choice, and the walker's in the bathroom so you get another QTE, and another chance to protect Clementine. I didn't find any of these things to be "terrible writing" as much as they were concessions to allow for more gameplay/choices.

Her gun wasn't partially loaded. If you listen to her gunshots during that scene, she runs through a full clip.

Duck ran over his leg and when Shawn yelled out in agony, he attracted the zombies. Not sure how you didn't get that bit.

The argument inside the drug store was fine, and even the characters pointed out how people shouting is going to get them all killed. The Doug shouting thing was a little idiotic, I'll concede.

So no, I don't think this game does need new writers. I think they're doing incredibly well, and nothing has taken me out of the experience to the degree it apparently has you, yet. I think it fits very much in line with Kirkman's own writing in the comics. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it is interesting.

I still don't quite agree that this game is fine as is but you bring up a few good points.

You completely lose me at Shawn though. That was shoddy writing totally in an attempt to remain cannon.

He screams and less than 3 seconds later zombies are all over both of them? How the **** would that even possible? These zombies are not ninjas and they sure aren't sprinters yet they manage to get to Shawn and the kid before you and no one saw them nearby before that?

Come on now. Don't defend that bull.

Also Doug getting owned. Really? This guy who has been the watchman for at least a day or two just decided to casually lay back against a window that was being assaulted by zombies? That was just another failed story attempt so that they could force a decision on you. There is no way that he would be leaning against a window crawling with zombie hands.

The comics may be pretty fun but this game was not. It did all kinds of things wrong logically. They REALLY force the deaths on you. There are at least 2 or 3 options in each scenario that could have been utilized to save both victims EVEN THOUGH there was no logic in the fact they were in danger to begin with.

The walker in the bathroom? Also forced. Those people have been in there for a while. Hours at the very least if not days. There is NO logical reason why they wouldn't have checked the bathroom or found that walker way before you ever get there.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.