15 min in and the main guys is alreasy pissing me off (spoilers maybe)

#1lionheart5656Posted 5/5/2012 11:43:34 PM(edited)
I'm being forced to play this stumbling moron who screams like a little girl anytime something happens.

I get that he's not aware of the whole zombie outbreak thing yet but does he have to be such a loud wuss?

Having him stumble and drop important things at the wrong time doesn't add suspense for me, it just pisses me off. The whole time I'm thinking "Cool the **** down and do what you need to do. Stop being such a god damn wuss."

Does he eventually lose this wuss feeling and man up a bit or am I destined to deal with him wetting his pants in every tense situation?

I know the topic says spoilers but no spoilers please. I jsut added thaat in case our "glorious" mods considered mentioning the zombie outbreak a spoiler.

Edit: He keeps yelling every 5 secs and I keep screaming in my head "Shut the **** up you dumbass before everything withn a 3 mile radius comes down on you."

Edit 2: Great storytelling so far. Walk up to pool of blood>Examine>"wow a pool of blood"> walk on pool of blood> Slip on pool of blood as if I was completely unaware it was there.

I hate to be this negative but they are killing me so far.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#2lionheart5656(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2012 2:47:06 AM(edited)
I played it all the way through. It got a lot better. I'm slightly unhappy that so many people couldn't be saved but it is what it is I suppose.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
#3pokemonmaster0Posted 5/6/2012 12:53:06 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
I played it all the way through. It got a lot better. I'm slightly unhappy that so many people couldn't be saved but it is what it is I suppose.

Wouldn't be much of a zombie apocalypse if no one died.

*spoilers

Also Shawn was screwed from the start since he's dead by the time of the comics, so they had to kill him.
#4lionheart5656(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2012 3:15:49 PM
Yea I've read the comics but I didn't expect the game to be so linear.

Very little of what I do matters because in the end they force me down a path.

Personally I would have grabbed the wooden plank and used it to knock the zombie backwards rather than force its face onto the fence.

Then I would have punched the zombie holding the kid and pulled the kid away, drove the tractor backwards and pulled him away just in time.

Instead I was forced to do a bunch of stupid things that got him killed. That kind of pissed me off.

I also would have saved the girl with the gun and directed her towards Doug so she could shoot the one or two zombies pulling him while I stopped the one zombie coming at her (after she killed the two on her). Could have saved them both but again the game forced me to be dumb and scared and get someone killed. I ended up saving the girl with the gun because we probably need someone who's a good shot for the future but I really wanted to save Doug as well.

Also, before it's mentioned, yes I thought of this immediately as it happened. I'm not looking back saying I could have done this after so much time to think about it. I thought about it in the moment.

I guess the reason I'm not liking this game so much is because it's forcing me to play as a guy who doesn't mesh at all with my personality. I guess I can hope they will improve on this kind of thing with the later episodes.
---
#5americancheezePosted 5/6/2012 10:28:16 PM
Interestingly, it's possible to completely avoid slipping on that blood by checking the answering machine first (and maybe something else I don't recall)

I'm semi sad that that extra blood from slipping ends up being totally irrelevant but it's understandable. I still would have liked someone reacting to him being covered in blood that extra bit though.
---
Real cheeze taste, zero calories.
"Remember, friends don't let friends get pulled up to the ceiling by horrid mutant beetle creatures."
#6cloud_strife196Posted 5/7/2012 11:18:03 AM
"what? you messed your leg up in a car wreck that would have normally killed everyone but the 3 year old in the back seat?? And THEN you ran thru the woods being chased by monsters and were forced to climb a 8 foot privacy fence, falling to the other side on your bad leg?? you do realize that this the walking dead, and you play a normal person.. and not Chris Redfield right?

SPOILER!!

Not every main character is going to be a hardened war hero, that nothing hurts/phases and when the zombies come.. people will die
#7AyahRivenPosted 5/7/2012 4:26:34 PM
Personally I would have grabbed the wooden plank and used it to knock the zombie backwards rather than force its face onto the fence.

Then I would have punched the zombie holding the kid and pulled the kid away, drove the tractor backwards and pulled him away just in time.

I also would have saved the girl with the gun and directed her towards Doug so she could shoot the one or two zombies pulling him while I stopped the one zombie coming at her (after she killed the two on her). Could have saved them both but again the game forced me to be dumb and scared and get someone killed. I ended up saving the girl with the gun because we probably need someone who's a good shot for the future but I really wanted to save Doug as well.

No you wouldn't. You would tried to do all of these amazing things that you have in your head, and then you would have been grabbed by the zombies and eaten alive. You might be a super-badass in your own mind, but in reality, you're not.
#8lionheart5656(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 6:40:51 PM

No you wouldn't. You would tried to do all of these amazing things that you have in your head, and then you would have been grabbed by the zombies and eaten alive. You might be a super-badass in your own mind, but in reality, you're not.

Wow good argument. Let's sum it up for everyone else. "No."

Well I'm convinced that you can read minds and people over the internet now.

Thanks for stopping by.
---
#9OutlawJTPosted 5/7/2012 10:14:28 PM
The main character is a college professor. He's not an athlete. He's not a soldier. He teaches history or something (it says in-game but I forget). It's unreasonable to expect him to be able to react perfectly in every situation. I agree that in a couple instances the game feels limited in what you can and can't do but that's because it's a game. The developers can only let you do so much within the design scope of the game. Also, one of the major design goals for the game is to make you react in the moment. If they provided 5 or 6 options for every action choice they'd have to give you the time to read those 5 or 6 options and that would take you out of the moment. The whole point is you're not supposed to have time to think.

To the TC: There were two zombies at the fence after Shawn. If you picked up the wood and knocked one back your arm would be wide open for the second one to grab onto. The chances are pretty high you could get bitten that way. If you tried to knock them both back with a single swing you could easily get grabbed by them unless you have very disproportianate upper body strength. It's real easy to say you would do this or that but in the heat of the moment things happen fast. You may be able to see in your mind a way to try saving two people in two different spots in the blink of an eye but you can only move so quickly. Remember these attacks are happening simultaneously. By the time you could get to Doug after tossing Carly her ammo he's already bitten and being pulled out the window. By the time you can get back to Carly's ammo from saving Doug the second zombie is already pouncing on her and biting her neck. There's justnot enough time to save both with the resources at hand. If Lee had the gun and it was loaded maybe he could've saved both if he's a good shot but otherwise it's impossible.
#10lionheart5656(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 11:14:42 PM(edited)

The main character is a college professor. He's not an athlete. He's not a soldier. He teaches history or something (it says in-game but I forget). It's unreasonable to expect him to be able to react perfectly in every situation. I agree that in a couple instances the game feels limited in what you can and can't do but that's because it's a game. The developers can only let you do so much within the design scope of the game. Also, one of the major design goals for the game is to make you react in the moment. If they provided 5 or 6 options for every action choice they'd have to give you the time to read those 5 or 6 options and that would take you out of the moment. The whole point is you're not supposed to have time to think.

To the TC: There were two zombies at the fence after Shawn. If you picked up the wood and knocked one back your arm would be wide open for the second one to grab onto. The chances are pretty high you could get bitten that way. If you tried to knock them both back with a single swing you could easily get grabbed by them unless you have very disproportianate upper body strength. It's real easy to say you would do this or that but in the heat of the moment things happen fast. You may be able to see in your mind a way to try saving two people in two different spots in the blink of an eye but you can only move so quickly. Remember these attacks are happening simultaneously. By the time you could get to Doug after tossing Carly her ammo he's already bitten and being pulled out the window. By the time you can get back to Carly's ammo from saving Doug the second zombie is already pouncing on her and biting her neck. There's justnot enough time to save both with the resources at hand. If Lee had the gun and it was loaded maybe he could've saved both if he's a good shot but otherwise it's impossible.

I don't understand how I would have my hand near the second zombie if I hit the first zombie with a wooden plank. Even when he does it, his hand is nowhere near the second zombie and his hit puts his arms closer to the second zombie than the hit I wanted to do.

I think you missed a couple details in the reading.

Anyways I suppose I concede that most people wouldn't react fast enough. I happen to have real life experience and know that I do.

I just wish they would give someone who is able to the ability to do so. They force me down the dumb and scared path which totally breaks the story for me personally.

I actually retried the scenario 2 or 3 times trying to hit the zombie from different angles to knock him back (like I had originally wanted to) instead of pushing him closer to Shawn like a moron.
---