Ok thinking of getting it

#1GirafficanePosted 3/24/2012 2:57:56 PM
Never player Risen 1 or Gothic but it seems interesting, I enjoy fantasy style games like Amalur,Torchlight, and Skyrim will I get my moneys worth if I buy it?
#2longhair92Posted 3/24/2012 3:12:41 PM
If you enjoy RPGs Kingdoms of Amalur and Skyrim, I'd say give the Risen series a shot. Though Risen is a bit more "hardcore" than those RPGs. There is a lot less hand-holding and enemies' levels don't scale with you, meaning if you wander too far ahead, you will be punished for it. The game is also not as loot-heavy as other RPGs like say Skyrim and Torchlight.

Watch some gameplay videos on YouTube, or download the demo to the original on Steam if you're interested.
#3Girafficane(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2012 3:47:34 PM
Thanks
#4TazmanianDPosted 3/27/2012 7:09:37 PM

I think I might suggest starting with the Gothic games first (G2 is the best IMO). Risen was a good game but it has somewhat of an empty and incomplete feeling to it. You might appreciate it more coming from some very similar but better games.

#5RageDressingPosted 4/12/2012 3:19:41 PM
TazmanianD posted...
I think I might suggest starting with the Gothic games first (G2 is the best IMO). Risen was a good game but it has somewhat of an empty and incomplete feeling to it. You might appreciate it more coming from some very similar but better games.

I'm not even close to beating the original Risen (I've done the swamp quests so far), but I'm enjoying it a lot. Never played the Gothic games...though I got them in a Steam sale.

Like longhair92 said, there's not a lot of hand-holding. You can wander into areas with high level enemies that will crush you. And the choices you can make for quests aren't laid out with convenient waypoints. It feels very organic and pure, which I appreciate.
---
I drizzled rage dressing on the country next door. Rage dressing on a salad of evil!
#6valkod23Posted 4/13/2012 10:27:11 AM
longhair92 posted...
If you enjoy RPGs Kingdoms of Amalur and Skyrim, I'd say give the Risen series a shot. Though Risen is a bit more "hardcore" than those RPGs. There is a lot less hand-holding and enemies' levels don't scale with you, meaning if you wander too far ahead, you will be punished for it. The game is also not as loot-heavy as other RPGs like say Skyrim and Torchlight.

Watch some gameplay videos on YouTube, or download the demo to the original on Steam if you're interested.

A bit more hardcore? Even in the best armor in the game you can get your ass handed to you by the enemies flooding the last level if you suck at melee combat and don't whittle them down with ranged attacks.

While there wasn't much loot in the first game for stuff like armor and weapons, it was still good to always loot everything so you could sell it later for precious gold, which made animal skinning a very nice source of additional income.

I mean if you're very good at blocking, dodging, and timing your attacks you might be able to kill one high level opponent in starting gear after like, 10 minutes of fighting.
#7Slash_outPosted 4/17/2012 5:31:35 PM

Risen 1, And Gothic 2 and 3 are definitively good games that should feel the same as this one (minus the setting).

Gothic 3 with the huge comunity made patch is still good looking this days. I remember trying it out right after Risen came out, and I was still impressedby the lighting (torches, flaming arrows, sunsets) and the shadows.

Anyway, as said abore, think of this game as an action RPG, with heavy emphasis on action.

Read below if you want a long post on what those games are like :

Here you don't depend on stats to survive and take hits. They do help of course.

But dodging, countering and blocking are very very important or you'll just die. Ennemies are agressive, you'll learn to fear wolves, they'll surround you, and attack you from behind. There is no "one ennemy attacks you so the rest backs off" to make thing easier.

New armors are big recompenses and ask for dedication to get. You'll need to improve your rankings in the factions, and have quite a bit of moneyz to get them.

The games are extremely non linear. They drop you on a beach generally, and from there you get whererver you want ,there are tons of quests and campaigns. Each faction has theirs, that lead into a bigger "campaign" for the end game. But there is always a good main story even with this non linearity, you just complete it in the order you wish.

Quests don't need you to "have" them to be completed. Every mob drops what it can, and you don't need a quest asking for antlers to make them drop on the proper mobs. The quest will simply complete itself and you'll just have to go to the right NPC to validate it. So killing new mons in a new area always feels great because you can do the first wave of hunting to complete quests you'll validate in the next village/city you'll find in the area.

As far as morality. People and factions react to what you did. There is not really a "right and wrong". There are different factions at wars and you choose those you favor. And quests have different endings that are not written to you in a chat wheel.

For exemple you find a deserter. You can just leave him there, you can force him to come back to his captors, you can take him to the resistance for a safe place, or you can just kill him there. Some of those can be choosen in the "chat wheel" but some don't need to, and they are all valid end for the quest, and depending on the quest they can have small to huge consequences.

You can also go on rampage and kill everyone in a city, in Gothic 3, when you razed a whole city, generally the other factions would swoop in and take control of the city, unless you also killed them all. There is no NPC you can not kill, if you do and they have quests, the quests simply take a different road, or can not be done anymore (nothing game breaking, you will loose some bonus xp/moneyz and futur quests related). It's up to you.

As for progression. Risen was a little more linear, but generally there are cities/areas that can be visited in a different order. Areas have their own mobs with their own level. They don't adjust to your level, nbot even a little bit. They are as tough as they really are. Fighting depends a lot on skills, meaning you can still go to harder areas with a few levels above you, and survive but each fight will be very tense and you can die pretty much at anytime. You can also go to end games area and get one shoted of course too. The thing is, since mobs don't change level to match yours, you can feel the power of your characters.

A pack of wolves that would create fear and panic in you 5 level before, would not be anything special anymore, you'd really feel the difference.

And winning a fight without taking a hit, against a tough group of ennemies... Just feels GREAT !

Anyway, long post, sorry for my bad english, but I believe this should give an idea of the game.

To conclude, this should be (if the previous games legacy "Risen/Gothics" is respected)  an open ended game, while still being challenging and rewarding.

#8RampageHowlPosted 4/17/2012 9:30:17 PM
Slash_out posted...
Risen 1, And Gothic 2 and 3 are definitively good games that should feel the same as this one (minus the setting).

good post, only thing wrong is u mention G2 and G3 being the best. G2 is deff best with 1 following right behind it. Then Risen, then G3.
---
Not so patiently waiting the release of:
Dragons Dogma, Risen 2, possibly Diablo 3
#9NateRose89Posted 4/18/2012 10:24:25 AM
RampageHowl posted...
Slash_out posted...

good post, only thing wrong is u mention G2 and G3 being the best. G2 is deff best with 1 following right behind it. Then Risen, then G3.

You, sir, have impeccable taste.
---
Nothing makes me more angry than people who think that Superman could take out Goku.
#10FiachPosted 4/23/2012 2:46:43 AM
I never played Risen to the end, I got to just shortly before the end according to the guide, but at that stage I had given up the will to live. The game was pretty good up to a certain point, then just turned into one long fetch quest.

I'll still get Dark Waters though, because I like to support PB and I think the pirate theme will add a bit of difference to their usual template they use for the gothic games.
---
Opinions are like testicles. Kick them hard enough, it doesnt matter how many you got.... -Varric