What is this like?

#1WartyXPosted 3/29/2012 9:32:32 AM
I really like pirate settings in games. I loved the original Pirates of the Caribbean 'action RPG' on PC years ago. So I decided to follow this game.

What games does this 'feel' like? Is it closer to say Dragon Age, or War in the North, or anything else? Cheers
---
GameFAQs' resident 313 Topic Killer
PSN | Steam | Origin : SaintDaveUK
#2ISmellStuffPosted 3/30/2012 12:28:12 AM
Gothic. Somewhat like The Elder Scrolls.
#3ZackG31Posted 4/2/2012 9:59:06 PM
In the same boat with TC loved the pirates of the caribbean game, but looking at this game or Kingdom of Amular
---
Atheism is a terrible bet. It gives you no chance of winning the prize.
Synthesis is the Best option.... FOR THE REAPERS!
#4Cheator13Posted 4/4/2012 3:41:46 AM
Amalur is brilliant, get it
---
Winning
#5N3BurgenerPosted 4/5/2012 12:17:21 PM
If you want the best possible answer, then you should watch gameplay videos (or a sampling of video reviews) for Gothic 2 and Risen. Those are Piranha Bytes' (the developers') most iconic games, and Risen 2 will follow their style pretty closely. Gothic 4 was made by a different developer, so looking at its gameplay will not reflect Risen 2 much at all.

I hesitate to use The Elder Scrolls as a comparison for recommendation. The two are similar, given that they're both open-world fantasy-RPGs, but there are a lot of divisive, critical differences between them. If you go into a game like Risen 2 expecting Skyrim, you'll most likely be disappointed -- not because Risen 2 is a weaker, lamer version of Skyrim, but because the game styles are different.

I would personally argue that Piranha Bytes' games are much better than Bethesda's, but that comes down to taste and what you look for in an RPG. If you want more of an "old-school" or "hard-core" experience, where your decisions actually matter and there are consequences for your actions, with lots of role-playing elements, challenging combat, and a rewarding world to explore, then Risen 2 might be up your alley.

For other comparisons, Risen 2 will probably also be close in style to games like The Witcher, Fallout: New Vegas, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, if you're at all familiar with those games. I'm also hesitant to recommend Risen 2 just solely on the pirate theme, because this is kind of a new emphasis for PB, and I don't know how it will compare to other Pirate-themed games. Most people who buy Risen 2 will be getting it for the RPG aspects, whether they're interested in the pirate theme or not.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#6VorgierPosted 4/5/2012 4:37:36 PM
Cheator13 posted...
Amalur is terrible. Don't get it.

FTFY
---
OBJECTION!
#7Treason686Posted 4/5/2012 7:32:58 PM
ZackG31 posted...
In the same boat with TC loved the pirates of the caribbean game, but looking at this game or Kingdom of Amular

KoA feels like Fable to me, but not as quirky. There's a demo to play, but I just didn't feel very strongly about it. I will probably pick it up when it hits $5-10.

Risen 2 should be very similar to the original (there is a demo available, and plenty of game play videos on Youtube). I wouldn't go in expecting fantastic combat, because that has never been PB's strong suit. It's good enough, though, and offers a challenge.

The real draw, for me, with Piranha Bytes' (PB) games is the early-game difficulty and the character interaction. When the game starts, you're pretty much a weakling who gets his butt kicked by weak monsters. Generally, the early game is a little bit harder than what it is later on.

The character interaction is very important, and there are a lot of times where decisions actually matter. Typically, there are also a few different routes to take that ultimately lead to the same conclusion, so there is replay value in playing a different character because you'll see different parts of the story. For instance, in Gothic 2 there was a Mage school, and two opposing warrior factions. Depending on which way you went, there were different characters to interact with, and different parts of the story were told. There was no "bad" faction. They all just had differing opinions.

Finally, back to the difficulty: Unlike most RPGs these days where it's impossible to be over matched, PB games are completely open world. That means it's easy to wander into areas where enemies are just too damn difficult to kill and you'll have to come back later. This is one aspect that I love, and I hate that this is so rare with today's games.
---
|| PSN/360 GT: Treason686 ||
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3|| Crossfire XFX Radeon 6870 || HP w2408h
#8TazmanianDPosted 4/5/2012 9:26:30 PM

Treason686 posted...
Finally, back to the difficulty: Unlike most RPGs these days where it's impossible to be over matched, PB games are completely open world. That means it's easy to wander into areas where enemies are just too damn difficult to kill and you'll have to come back later. This is one aspect that I love, and I hate that this is so rare with today's games.

Yeah, that's one thing I find particularly important in a game because it gives you a sense of real danger. When everything levels along with you, it feels fake. I really liked Gothic 3 a lot but I thought this was one of it's weakest points; the distribution of dangerous monsters was pretty low. The first time I encountered a Black Troll I kicked its butt. Risen and G1 and G2 had this spot on.

#9ZackG31Posted 4/5/2012 10:31:04 PM
N3Burgener posted...
If you want the best possible answer, then you should watch gameplay videos (or a sampling of video reviews) for Gothic 2 and Risen. Those are Piranha Bytes' (the developers') most iconic games, and Risen 2 will follow their style pretty closely. Gothic 4 was made by a different developer, so looking at its gameplay will not reflect Risen 2 much at all.

I hesitate to use The Elder Scrolls as a comparison for recommendation. The two are similar, given that they're both open-world fantasy-RPGs, but there are a lot of divisive, critical differences between them. If you go into a game like Risen 2 expecting Skyrim, you'll most likely be disappointed -- not because Risen 2 is a weaker, lamer version of Skyrim, but because the game styles are different.

I would personally argue that Piranha Bytes' games are much better than Bethesda's, but that comes down to taste and what you look for in an RPG. If you want more of an "old-school" or "hard-core" experience, where your decisions actually matter and there are consequences for your actions, with lots of role-playing elements, challenging combat, and a rewarding world to explore, then Risen 2 might be up your alley.

For other comparisons, Risen 2 will probably also be close in style to games like The Witcher, Fallout: New Vegas, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, if you're at all familiar with those games. I'm also hesitant to recommend Risen 2 just solely on the pirate theme, because this is kind of a new emphasis for PB, and I don't know how it will compare to other Pirate-themed games. Most people who buy Risen 2 will be getting it for the RPG aspects, whether they're interested in the pirate theme or not.

Since you compared it to The Witcher and Bloodlines (two of my favorite games) going to check this game out.
---
Atheism is a terrible bet. It gives you no chance of winning the prize.
Synthesis is the Best option.... FOR THE REAPERS!
#10Tekken9292Posted 4/8/2012 6:39:07 AM(edited)
Risen played completely like the Gothic series. Just a slight reskin, really. It's the exact same feel. And that's good.
Trademark gameplay features:

-Fully voice acted and involving dialogues. Every locale or town you visit will have you making tons of conversations with NPCs, and a lot of decisions to make. Player character's voice is always fun to listen to. (Personally.)

-Free-form choice of factions, class and skills. You don't just spend point in an unlock tree UI or visit a single mission to get started down a certain path. If you want to join faction Y, you have to start supporting them in the locales you visit, you have to do quests for them in a town, and help them screw over faction z, through chosing your quests and dialogues carefully. Choosing your class is also a fluid process. If you want to go sword and board, you pick up a sword and board. If you want to be a mage, you make some mages happy and they'll teach you a few things. You find people who can teach you different skills and spend gold and learning points from experience to learn what they can offer. Your decisions and playstyle will play a role in your character's development, sometimes even convenience, too.

-Very long games with replay value. These games are packed chock full of quests ranging from doing chores and interrogating people to killing things and starting all out war. There's no solid collectables or any other cereal box token gimmicks to keep your attention. There's only sheer content. Then once you're done, you might want to replay the game, making the exact opposite of the choices you made first time around, potentially getting access to the entire other half of the game.

-Raw difficulty. Even the simple humanoid enemies are fights you'll look forward to, because they all require you to pay attention. Mindless slashing is not quite going to cut it. If you play Dark Souls, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. You will think about what the easiest way to kill things will be. To exploit their pathing, or to draw them to nearby town guards so they'll help you kill the monster. Thinking man's game as much as it is the skilled player's game.
Difficulty also comes from being blatantly able to get NPC's killed off outright. You might even screw progression up for yourself entirely. It's the kind of PC game where you will use the quick save button a lot. Likewise, the game doesn't hold yourself with the aforementioned progression. You don't get a gigantic arrow on your screen showing where to go next once you've cleared a town. You can only hope that an NPC in the previous locale mentioned where you should go next, and that if he did, that it's marked on your map.

-Fun things such as Blacksmithing/Alchemy/Herbology/Cooking/Hunting.

-Barter Trading system.

-1 female character model with different clothings. 1 female voice actress per game. Seriously, every single game. Not that it's a downside. At this point it's like having Chocobos or a Cid in every Final Fantasy game.

-Very politics-oriented factions/story. I don't think any of the games ever had a faction with a truly evil or a truly good motive. The whole aspect of "choose your own adventure" isn't tainted with any stupid karma systems or bipolar outcomes. Even the most ass seeming people who seem to be enslaving people, you will find will have their own reasonable motives, and many likable members. The games truly feel like a player-crafted experience, than a set in stone Disney story.
---
PSN ID: TekkenDevil9292
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.