Can someone please summarize the story of Risen? (Risen 1 spoilers)

#1Alvin_the_ElfPosted 4/30/2012 4:03:18 AM
Over the last couple of years I have taken several attempts to play and finish Risen 1. The game fascinates me- in the environment, story, characters and music area, especially. I didn't care that the graphics were a bit backdated or the combat poorly designed.

But for several reasons, I have never been able to finish the game. The most I have gone to was finishing the training at the Monastery (I took the Mage path, planning to build a spellsword). I don't even have the save games from that playthrough. I planned to finish the game before Risen 2 came out, but thanks to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, I couldn't get it done.

Now Dark Waters is out and I don't feel like going through the whole of Risen 1. Especially at the pace I play RPGs (I tend to do EVERYTHING), it'll take me a couple of weeks at least. I'll finish it later.... someday.... maybe. So I was wondering if a fellow fan of the series can tell me the story of Risen 1 in short, especially the events after the monastery?

I was curious about the magical storms, the role of the Inquisitor, the role of mages, the fate of the Don and of course the mysterious temples that rose from the ground. Who was the actual villain of the story? What happened to the gods? Are they really gone? Where did Patty go after Chapter 1? What happened to the Nameless Hero at the end?

I've been avoiding Risen 2 spoilers. So please avoid those as best as you can.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2Alvin_the_Elf(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 8:58:23 AM
Bump :(
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#3CaptainScrubbyPosted 4/30/2012 3:49:48 PM
*spoiler*

Easy enough. You're ship wrecked on an Island, while Titans are waking up and rampaging around destroying the rest of the world.

That pirate girl is the first person you meet and spends most her time safely in a cabin, you go either join the protectors or the mages or run off and become a druid or a bandit in the swamp (I think, I may be confusing the bandit part with Gothic 2), then stuff happens and you end up in a fire temple with some kind of cult trying to awaken a fire titan.

At the end you fight the Fire Titan on a platform, and once that's over, some magical disaster strips you of any magical power you have and your magic items become useless or end up in the hands of the inquisition or something, and you're a hero with bad memories gang pressed into the inquisition as your way off the Island.
#4omegamanPosted 4/30/2012 6:12:46 PM(edited)
A storm wrecks your ship on an island. The first girl you meet is the only other surviver. You really don't have anything to do with her the rest of the game. I think there might be one quest involving her.

The pirate girl works at the pub in town. I only played on the side of the bandits. When I made friends with her, and gained her confidence, she helped me throughout the rest of the game. Her name is Patty. She's the same pirate girl in Risen 2.

Edit: I didn't read all of you post. It seems you knew most of what I posted. I was mostly clarifying what the other poster had said about the girl you meet.
#5SisayPosted 4/30/2012 10:29:44 PM
I was curious about the magical storms, the role of the Inquisitor, the role of mages, the fate of the Don and of course the mysterious temples that rose from the ground. Who was the actual villain of the story? What happened to the gods? Are they really gone? Where did Patty go after Chapter 1? What happened to the Nameless Hero at the end?

Overall Risen 2 has pretty much nothing to do with Risen 1 storywise (other than that there are Titans), so you really don't need to worry about it. There are only a few NPCs who are in both games, and the setting is completely different. The rune magic of Risen 1, for example, has been banned. You can learn Voodoo instead. I think overall it was a good idea to change the setting in this way, since Risen 1 was just too much of the same Gothic again we had seen before in terms of the setting.

The Don takes over Harbour Town halfway through the game, and nothing ever happens with him after that. It's been years but there's some sort of problem with the Volcano where the mages get their (fire) magic from. In the later chapters you search for Macguffins that allow you to enter the volcano (on top of which the monastery is built), and then finally the last chapter is just straight up dungeon crawling in the volcano which is really boring.

The volcano and the temples are inhabited by some sort of an ancient civilization that is hostile. They're really just lizardmen from Gothic 2. They're nowhere to be found in Risen 2 so don't worry. The real villain of the story is Inquisitor Mendoza, who heads the Inquisition on the island. He double crosses you, since he wants to control the Fire Titan that lives in the volcano. I think he wants to use it to fight the other Titans, or something like that. So you kill him in a pretty decent boss fight, and then later kill the Fire Titan itself in a really weird boss fight that belongs in Mario 64, not in an action RPG. Mendoza uses some sort of weird magical ocular in one eye, and the Nameless Hero takes it from him. This is why he uses an eyepatch in Risen 2, either to hide the ocular or it's suggested that he lost the eye when the ocular was taken off.

The gods are never mentioned again. I think quite likely that Risen uses some elements from the story of Gothic 3 and might have originally been planned as an expansion pack, and it was simply meant to use the Gothic 3 Xardas ending where you banish the gods from this world.

Patty is actually the daughter of a famous pirate, Gregorious Steelbeard (possibly a reference to the pirate Greg in Gothic 2's expansion pack). She's looking for her father's treasure. You kill a pirate captain who's also trying to find the treasure. You don't find Steelbeard's real treasure, but you find a treasure map and some gold. In the end it is heavily implied that the Hero and Patty are romantically involved, and the hero says he will try to fight the other Titans. At the beginning of Risen 2, you will meet with Patty again.
---
Europa / Siege
#6Alvin_the_Elf(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 10:36:16 PM
Thank you, good sir. I really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions in detail. Now I'm ready for Risen 2.

A few more questions, if you or anyone else have the time- does the Don take control of the town even if the hero doesn't support him? What are the Titans actually? And what was the origin of the storm?

Thank you once again!
---
#7SisayPosted 4/30/2012 10:58:19 PM(edited)
I have only ever sided with the Don (he's not as cool as Lee, but I do love them melee weapons). The way it was structured made it seem like it might happen even if you side with the Inquisition. The Don has one of the Macguffins, and exchanges it for the control of Harbor Town with Inquisitor Mendoza. Mendoza doesn't care about anything other than controlling the Fire Titan, so he just gives up Harbour Town. You spend the rest of the game helping out Mendoza even if you side with the Don, until the point that Mendoza betrays you anyway. The Don is not in Risen 2 and neither is Mendoza (being dead after all), but the Inquisition leader who runs Harbour Town, Carlos, is in Risen 2.

Unfortunately I can't remember anything about the storm. The Titans are just some old powerful beings (think Titans of the Greek Mythology) that have existed for a long time, possibly longer than the now-banished Gods.
---
Europa / Siege
#8Terra_ExPosted 5/1/2012 5:57:47 AM(edited)
I've only ever sided with the Don myself too, however since you start of Risen 2 working with the inquisition did the devs make the Order route playthrough of Risen 1 canon (I know it doesn't seem to matter much with regards to R2)?
---
Playing: Witcher 2 EE (PC), Darksiders, Risen 2, Pandora's Tower
Waiting for: Growlanser IV PSP, Way of the Samurai 4