Really enjoying Risen 2

#1runyonavePosted 4/30/2012 8:52:17 AM
Initially I was kind of dissapointed with it. The combat seemed crap (somewhat better now), but I am on the second Island now and it is so much better. The graphics are amazing and it's so atmospheric. love the cloudy/stormy island feel on the second island and it seems to be somewhat bigger than the first Island.

I have loved all other PB games from Gothic 1,2 and 3 and now Risen 1 and 2. These guys IMO make the best open world RPGs.
---
Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden 3 (YES, NG3), Bayonetta, God Hand and Vanquish: The greatest games in their respective genres.
#2Alvin_the_ElfPosted 4/30/2012 9:02:27 AM
I agree. I'm not a fan of Bethesda. I got bored with Fallout 3, Oblivion and Skyrim pretty soon. But I loved Gothic 3 and Risen. PB makes open world games much better than Bethesda.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#3kozzy1234Posted 4/30/2012 9:03:47 AM

cosign, game is amazing.

I dont like the animations and there are some graphics bugs, but man... everything else I LOVE!

#4Slash_outPosted 4/30/2012 9:08:56 AM
After using the edit xml files to boost graphics, now my only qualm is combat mechanics.
Other than that, as always, it's a great ride.
PB alway makes flawed game that you can't help but love :).
#5runyonave(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 9:17:04 AM
Yeah it's the PB standard, I.e. a very much flawed, but beautiful game.

I think they have always sucked at making good animation. But no one beats them when it comes to world design.

@Alvin_the_Elf: Me too. I think Bethesda is way overrated. They have no imagination or skill to create a really good RPG. They are very much shallow and pander to the casual crowd. Without the mod community, their games would be the worst.
---
Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden 3 (YES, NG3), Bayonetta, God Hand and Vanquish: The greatest games in their respective genres.
#6Alvin_the_ElfPosted 4/30/2012 9:41:14 AM
Exactly. PB games have amazingly detailed and well crafted worlds, where as Bethesda worlds are copy-paste! Yah they have lots of dungeons but all of them are similar and repetitive. Risen can win over Skyrim's world design just by its atmosphere.

And the other thing is the hero. A master of everything hero is not fun. I like that in PB games heroes have limitations and weaknesses. True in Gothic 3 you could make a god level hero, but still you could only make that late game.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#7olgert56Posted 4/30/2012 10:45:54 AM

I like the combat against humans but it's horrible against animals. The quests are also interesting for the most part. The only problem is the graphical glitches and I also don't like that it's overly bright. Initially it made a very bad impression but now I realize that overall it's a nice game. I don't think it's a step forward from Risen 1 though.

#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 4/30/2012 11:51:59 AM
The best part of the Gothic and Risen series is the set chests and enemies. I HATE random loot and enemies. Leveled items and enemies makes a game extremely predictable and boring. In these games, there's that risk/reward system and you actually feel like you accomplished something when you killed that ghoul early on even if you wasted 5 rum/potions etc. I never know whats going to come up and that makes it so much more interesting. Also starting out where everything has the potential to kill you allows for an amazing sense of progression.

The Bethesda games are not bad but you hardly ever get that sense of accomplishment. You can steamroll most enemies because they are leveled, and you get lame leveled loot that is 99% of the time crap and useless/not worth the time.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.5 | P8Z68-V Pro |Corsair H80 | 8GB 1600 | GTX 580 3GB | 60GB + 120GB ssd | 3TB hdd space | Win 7 64bit | corsair ax1200w psu | BD burner | cm690II
#9Bigj089Posted 4/30/2012 12:12:34 PM
For those that dislikes Beths games Id recommend trying out the Elder Scrolls games prior to Oblivion. Morrowind is easily one of my all time favorite games that I still play today and find new things. Id agree that something with their modern games just doesnt quite "do it" I suppose.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#10DV8ingSourcesPosted 4/30/2012 12:22:13 PM(edited)

For those that dislikes Beths games Id recommend trying out the Elder Scrolls games prior to Oblivion. Morrowind is easily one of my all time favorite games that I still play today and find new things. Id agree that something with their modern games just doesnt quite "do it" I suppose.

Yeah Morrowind and daggerfall were great for the same reasons I mentioned above. It wasn't the randomized (well daggerfall is a weird exception) crap we get shoveled these days.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.5 | P8Z68-V Pro |Corsair H80 | 8GB 1600 | GTX 580 3GB | 60GB + 120GB ssd | 3TB hdd space | Win 7 64bit | corsair ax1200w psu | BD burner | cm690II