Anyone else prefers the "the twins" to the "dueling pistol"?

#1brotrrwinnerPosted 5/5/2012 3:30:48 PM
The dueling pistol gives +10 to pistols skill but takes 5 seconds more to reload. Even though it's more expensive than the twins (usually an indication it's better) I actually prefer the faster reload time. I don't think 10 points less in the skill really matters all that much (I only miss about 10% of all my shots)
---
September 21st, 2008
Never forget
#2N3BurgenerPosted 5/5/2012 4:30:49 PM
I'm over 30 hours into the game as a voodoo user, and I'm still using the Twins that I nabbed off Sebastiano before leaving Caldera for the first time.

I've done brief experiments where I've bought two pistols, saved, shot the merchant with one pistol, reloaded, and compared the damage to the merchant's health with the second pistol, and even the scatter pistol that does 80 damage (The Grinder?) didn't seem to knock much more health off the merchants than the Twins. That's not to mention the 30 second reload, twice that of the Twins.

It's possible that my damage testing was negligible just because the target may have had a high bullet resistance (I think my pistol stat was at 75 when I tested, for what it's worth), so I suppose the extra damage might be more significant against unarmored monsters. Either way, I'll probably be sticking with the Twins until I find something really convincing.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#3zenopathPosted 5/5/2012 8:11:55 PM
N3Burgener posted...
I'm over 30 hours into the game as a voodoo user, and I'm still using the Twins that I nabbed off Sebastiano before leaving Caldera for the first time.

I've done brief experiments where I've bought two pistols, saved, shot the merchant with one pistol, reloaded, and compared the damage to the merchant's health with the second pistol, and even the scatter pistol that does 80 damage (The Grinder?) didn't seem to knock much more health off the merchants than the Twins. That's not to mention the 30 second reload, twice that of the Twins.

It's possible that my damage testing was negligible just because the target may have had a high bullet resistance (I think my pistol stat was at 75 when I tested, for what it's worth), so I suppose the extra damage might be more significant against unarmored monsters. Either way, I'll probably be sticking with the Twins until I find something really convincing.

How do you get the twins off Sebastino on the starting Island?
#4N3BurgenerPosted 5/6/2012 1:27:20 AM
To get The Twins before leaving Caldera, you have to 1) convince the ship guard to let you on board, and 2) have learned how to sneak from Largo. Then you can sneak into the captain's room of the ship and steal The Twins off Sebastiano's desk while he's sleeping. There's only one dialogue option that will let you onto the ship, and I don't remember exactly what it is, so you'd do well to save before talking to the guard for the first time to figure it out.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#5pezizzlePosted 5/6/2012 8:54:20 PM
Even with 9999 in each stat and skill (done through console) the reload time and damage never go past their descriptions stats. So if it says something like 60-70 damage, even with 9999 of everything you will only do 70 damage. Reload time will also be the same (not talking about the skills you buy).

So yes, twins are better for the shorter reload time. At least for me.