Some questions about character-building.

#1bionicman_3090Posted 5/7/2012 7:09:55 PM
I've already finished this game without any Voodoo skills. So, naturally I want to have Voodoo as one of my primary skills during my 2nd play-through. I have the following questions if anyone can answer them...

1. I'm thinking of using only Spear as my primary weapon. My question is, is it possible to fight like the natives with their fancy moves with a spear or am I stuck with just a slashing and power-thrust attack (not counting the Throwing skill)?

2. I've noticed that there are plenty of permanent effect herbs that increases your skill rating. So, with Voodoo, I'm guessing that you can make those herbs provide a bigger boost to your stats. Yes? No?

3. With my 1st time around this game, I had all the Attributes, except Voodoo (at 2 including a Legendary item), at 9. I figured that Cunning is a must 'cause you need it for Lockpicking. Concerning my 2nd play-through as I'm going with Voodoo and Spear fighting, Blades and Voodoo is pretty much necessary. Is it better to go with Firearms or Toughness to complement my skills? I know Firearms means double-barrel pistols and that's very handy in a fight but I can also use Daggers as a secondary ranged weapon thus saving me plenty of Glory points.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#2N3BurgenerPosted 5/7/2012 11:17:24 PM
1. With spears, the only damaging attacks you can do are the long thrusts, and the overhand throw. Just the simple left-click does zero damage, and only knocks the enemy back a ways so that you can poke them with the overly long thrusting animation (that's kind of the necessary combo to win fights with a spear). At the end of the game I had left over gold, so I mastered throwing weapons and never unlocked any other move sets.

2. There's a skill to brew potions, which will let you make permanent potions from things like Sharpeye, Graveroot, and Sword Thorn, as long as you can track down and purchase the recipe somewhere. The permanent potions add +2 to your stats, instead of just +1, but the Fool's Juice (for Cunning) is glitched and does not work, and I don't think anyone's been able to find a recipe for the Leather Skin (for Toughness) potion, so just keep that in mind.

3. Using daggers as your off-hand weapon can be a viable alternative to pistols, but not until you can get Black Dog's dagger or the dagger from Slayne. Buying regular throwing daggers will be far more expensive than buying bullets for a pistol (you can find plenty of pistols completely free), and they won't do as much damage, anyway. You'll probably want to rely on pistols early on, until you get either of the special throwing daggers.

In my voodoo playthrough, my stats ended up like this: 9 Blades, 4 Firearms, 8 Toughness, 7 Cunning, 10 Voodoo (that's with the +1 from each legendary item). The four in firearms was enough to learn basic pistol training, and my accuracy was good enough to carry me through the game, so one or two points in firearms will be useful to you early on, without costing too much glory.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#3bionicman_3090(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 2:06:21 AM
That's a pity. I thought you could Parry and Riposte with Spears like the natives. PB have a lot of thinking to do before they put in half-assed features into the game, similar to Risen 1. I was thinking of Spear fighting 'cause the fighting moves that the natives use resembled a bit of Capoeira and I loved that. If we can't do those moves, then you can stick with Muskets which are way more powerful, eh?

I didn't know the difference would be so small. In the first game, rather than +1, you could get +5 stat boost from Alchemy potions. But if you take the Voodoo path, you might as well make use of every little bit, I suppose. The extra +1 increase will be a lot, seeing as how you have a lot of accessories that boost your stats.

That's precisely why I wanted to stick with Spears 'cause they already have range but as a Melee weapon, I didn't know they would be ineffective compared to the natives. Then using Daggers as a Dirty Trick option later on after I'd get the permanent dagger would've been great. Oh, well.

I'll see how the Spears play out a little bit but if there's any other advice to be had, please feel free.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#4jbtilleyPosted 5/8/2012 4:04:07 AM
I'll piggyback with my question.

If I ignore voodoo is there enough glory in the game to max all the other attributes? There are a few legendary treasures that add to your attributes. Does that mean they go up to 11 (Spinal Tap) or do they max at 9 and the legendary treasures take them up to 10?
#5N3BurgenerPosted 5/8/2012 5:03:01 AM
bionicman_3090 posted...
PB have a lot of thinking to do before they put in half-assed features into the game, similar to Risen 1.

That's kind of how I felt about the entire Blades statistic. There's really no point in having separate stats for piercing weapons and slashing weapons when they're functionally the exact same thing, and throwing weapons seem inferior to firearms in nearly every way, even if you're playing a voodoo character with low firearms skills. Hell, you can even get free muskets as a voodoo player that are a lot better than the spears, and which function exactly the same.

jbtilley posted...
If I ignore voodoo is there enough glory in the game to max all the other attributes? There are a few legendary treasures that add to your attributes. Does that mean they go up to 11 (Spinal Tap) or do they max at 9 and the legendary treasures take them up to 10?

You can train the stats up to 10, and then receive a +1 bonus from the legendary items for a total of 11. Going over 10 isn't really necessary unless you want the five extra stat points. If you don't put any glory into voodoo, I think you should be able to come pretty close to maxing out the other stats, if you just train them to 9 and let the legendaries bump them up to 10. Also bear in mind that you can get Largo's Black Pearl Earring, which boosts your Cunning by +1, so it's possible to just train your Cunning up to 8 and then get to 10 with the items, if you're just trying to get all the perks.

If you want to maximize your glory to be on the safe side, and if you have the Treasure Isle DLC, you might want to do those quests as soon as possible. One of the rewards for finishing it is a legendary item that grants you a 10% bonus to all earned glory, which can add up a lot if you get it early.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com