The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Start with Risen 1, or jump in with Risen 2?

#1NeninaPosted 5/9/2012 2:01:00 AM
My question is, what's better?

A little info: I passed my chance to get Gothic 3 long ago after hearing of bugginess and stun-locking wolfs and such. Instead, I got Fallout 3. Then later passed up my chance on Risen 1 for Fallout New Vegas.

Both good games. Both very buggy but fixed later. But one can only enjoy them for so long before tiring of the post apocalypse.

So now Risen 2 has... symbolically risen. What would be better for me, Risen 1 or Risen 2? Don't really like pirates, but like what I hear about voodoo. And of course, there will be the stun-locking I've dreaded all this time.
#2Alvin_the_ElfPosted 5/9/2012 2:09:40 AM
Gothic 3 has its flaws, but it is a brilliant game. Risen 2 reminds me of Gothic 3 a lot. I'd advise you to play it.

Risen 1 has its moments. But the game became progressively worse in later chapters. I haven't completed it because it became too tedious.

If you do plan to play Risen 1, play it before Risen 2, as it will be very hard to come back to after the sheer awesomeness of Risen 2.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#3hasseltkoffiePosted 5/9/2012 2:22:28 AM
I'm playing R2 now, and planning on another play-trough of R1 right after. If you have the time, def. start with Risen 1
#4N3BurgenerPosted 5/9/2012 3:53:58 AM
I would recommend starting with the first Risen, primarily just because it's cheaper right now, and Risen 2 will probably be a more enjoyable experience when it gets patched (hopefully). The first Risen is a pretty enjoyable experience anyway, and the two games are different enough that I think it warrants eventually playing both.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#5bionicman_3090Posted 5/9/2012 4:05:21 AM
Both games have very bad features implemented into the game with lack of thought. As such, both games can be very average, despite having some great moments to please you.

R1 allowed you to explore right from the start and if you had the skill at controlling your character, you could fight any fight at level 1, provided that you had the patience and didn't mind overly long and boring combat. As you improved your character, the combat got better and better. R2 has multiple islands that you can explore as and when you unlock the locations. But combat, initially, will be really poor. Once you learn some moves from trainers, your combat gets better but ONLY against humans. Against beasts, combat revolves around Kick+Left-Click+Power-Attack over and over or just using guns instead.

Both games have good stories and they play out nicely. But Risen 2, in my opinion, has better overall story-telling. But both games have made a complete mess in terms of final battles and set-pieces, however.

The pacing is nice and even in R2. Risen 1, like I said, allowed you to explore right from the start and as such, you'll end up doing almost 80% of the quests in chapters 1 and 2 itself and the remaining two chapters will revolve around only main-quest which are, from that point on, nothing but dungeon delving and retrieving artifacts. Both games have alternate paths to choose in main quest but they don't play out too differently, all told.

Graphically, R1 was nice to look at and had very little inconsistencies and bad graphics on some objects. R2 however has some of the worst mip-map and object pop-ins in recent PC gaming history. Both games have nice sound effects, soundtracks and voice-acting, with R1 the stand-out 'cause of the great cast which includes John Rhys-Davies and Andy Serkis.

You'll get plenty of references and meet characters from Risen 1 in this game who refresh your memory a wee bit. So, in that respect, you'd want to play R1 first.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/952152-risen/reviews/review-146970
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#6tensaimanPosted 5/9/2012 8:47:02 AM
try Risen 1 but stop playing after.... an hour
Tis kinda big deal (for me)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/952152-risen/51684824
#7groupersoupPosted 5/9/2012 9:56:27 AM
Gothic 3 and all recent Fallout games = ASS

Buggy is an understatement, other than the totally broken fast travel in Fallout 3 and marking places on your map that aren't even where the game says they are such as Rivet City) and the overly broken combat system that gets you killed constantly in the very beginning of Gothic 3 and still isn't explained, I won't even get into how bad Gothic 3 and Fallout 3/NV

RISEN > GOTHIC 3 & FALLOUT 3/NEW VEGAS
#8ddrake2006Posted 5/9/2012 10:51:13 PM
I had a pretty good time with Risen 1. I have yet to pick up 2 but I imagine its going to be more of the same.

In my personal opinion, I say try 1 first.
---
Famine_10f4 posted...I represent the Coffee Party, it doesn't sound as flamboyant as "Tea Party" but I assure you I will be just as stupid!
#9Tekken9292Posted 5/18/2012 12:33:38 AM(edited)
Gothic 3 is flawless if you apply the latest community patch, to kill all the bugs in it. It's THE go-to WRPG. Elder Scrolls doesn't hold a semblance of a candle next to it.
It is difficult, it flat out refuses to hold your hands, and you're perfectly capable of screwing an entire playthrough up by recklessly getting a quest-important NPC killed. Yet it's perfectly possible to beat. Many times over, specializing in different ways, and allying with different factions.

Risen 1 is the developers' attempt at remaking Gothic 3 without any bugs. They pretty much succeeded, but at the cost of size of the game. Many animations and practices were taken straight from Gothic 3. But again, the game is way too small.

In Gothic 3, you had at least 12 major areas consisting of a city and it's enemy rebel faction. You could join whichever faction you pleased for each area, and there'd be tons of quests within each area.

In comparison, Risen 1 was comprised of only one of such an area with more or less the same style of choices, but the experience lengthened by spreading things across an entire island, and the inclusion of a bucketload of dungeons. However, at the end of the day, you didn't feel like your character building paid off quite as much as it did in Gothic 3. The game just ended too prematurely. In fact, I found there to be a pretty big lack of XP. When I maxed out swords, I pretty much exhausted the pool, and my HP was still way too squishy.

As for Risen 2:
It's not the Gothic 3 experience anymore. I haven't quite completed the game yet, but it seems to take the Risen 1 formula of spreading a single "Team A or Team B" scenario, and spreading it around a big island, except this time around, there's several of these islands. The problem is, each of these scenarios are still only as large as a single area used to be in Gothic 3. And as I said, Gothic 3 had at least 3 of these areas per island ( or rather, continent).

So it still doesn't feel quite as grand yet.

Also, the animations have received an overhaul, as well as other visual aspects. It feels a lot more jerky now, and a lot less realistic. Patty, for example, keeps flailing her hands around while talking for no reason, in what I can only assume is an attempt to copy Disney's Jack Sparrow?

In short, Risen 2 built more upon what Risen 1 brought to the table, and dropped a considerable portion of what remained from Gothic 3. Risen 2 has the difficulty and core questing system of the average Pyranha Bites game, so I don't think any fan should be completely dissapointed.

However, I still recommend a community patched Gothic 3 for any newcomers to Pyranha Bites' games.
---
PSN ID: TekkenDevil9292
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.
#10N3BurgenerPosted 5/18/2012 1:13:20 PM
Gothic 3 is flawless if you apply the latest community patch, to kill all the bugs in it. It's THE go-to WRPG.

Most Piranha fans will tell you that Gothic 2 is the "go-to" WRPG, because Gothic 3 has a lot of notable design flaws making it generally an inferior experience to G2 or even G1. The whole thing just suffers from over-ambition, and feels loaded with filler content, from the excessively huge size of the map, to the repetitive MMO-style quests, to the fleeting design of towns. Other things like randomized / procedurally generated loot, and changes to the series' lore detract from the experience as well.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com