I tried, I really tried...

#1groupersoupPosted 5/9/2012 9:30:46 AM
But I cannot play this any more this is way too much like Fable III.

First of lets get something cleared up because I'm sick of people saying Risen 2 is a pirate game when it's not. Risen 2 is a game that has pirates added to it. Just like part 1 did. It just focuses on the pirate aspect a little more in Risen 2, which brings me to the following issues about the game.

Aside from some dialog issues, Risen 1 was great, and I was cool with Risen 2 coming out when I heard about it's release. However, I was very weary about the guns in the game, but still was not closed minded about it.

Here is what my problems are with this whole thing:
Risen 1 didn't have guns and didn't need them,, so why does this game need guns? On top of that how did this game use the same character from Risen 1, and time travel him up to the renaissance era? (And yes it's the same exact character)

This doesn't make any sense because Risen 1 and Risen 2 are not ony using the same exact character that hasn't aged, but because it's the same exact character and in the same time era, Risen 1 would and should have had guns in it as well and the guns would have washed up on shore like everything you picked up at the beginning of Risen 1. One last thing about this aspect, he islanders would have had guns as well due to all the ship wrecks being talked about in Risen 1.

Anyway to make a long story short, Risen 1 was a sword and sorcery hack and slash game, had pirates in it and didn't use guns and would have had guns in it simply because of the pirates in the game. And Risen 2 should have been the same thing.

I'm sorry but guns do not belong in a hack and sash sword and sorcery game.

This is is exactly like putting Guns into an Elder Scrolls game, or adding magic to Battlefield 3 or Halo. Which would make for interesting outcomes, but still doesn't fit into either games theme.
#2N3BurgenerPosted 5/9/2012 10:01:17 AM
What did you think about the gameplay? Or did you quit entirely because the concept of guns was too preposterous to handle?
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#3groupersoup(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 10:20:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4groupersoup(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 10:22:39 AM
What did you think about the gameplay? Or did you quit entirely because the concept of guns was too preposterous to handle?

The game play was fine, the combat still was challenging enough, it's just too many companies are jumping on the "Lets add guns to our games because everyone else does" bandwagon

It's like one company does something it becomes a hit, and then all of a sudden, every game has it. Seriously ZOMBIES, GUNS, AND 1st PERSON VIEW, ARE NOT NEEDED IN EVERY FRIGGING GAME THAT COMES OUT. Hell Even Blizzard managed to put guns in D3

I want to know why a game has not been released that has ZOMBIES WITH GUNS?
#5Alvin_the_ElfPosted 5/9/2012 10:30:25 AM
@ TC,

When you say pirate game, do you mean a game based on piracy like naval battles, plundering, and tavern brawls? Then Risen 2 is not a pirate game.

But if you mean a game where majority of the main and secondary characters are pirates, the protagonist is a pirate, the combat is classic pirate combat with swords and guns and dirty tricks, the setting is same as other pirate books and movies, there are hidden and cursed treasures and of course the story itself revolves around pirates, then yes, Risen 2 IS a pirate game.

The introduction of guns is a valid complaint. There are other sequels who have similarly broken lore for gameplay, though. Mass Effect 2 comes to mind. But, if you can overlook that one flaw, the game is almost every way better than Risen 1.

One last thing, except the existence of guns, there is nothing in Risen 2 that is remotely similar to Fable III. And, from your post, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how you were 'open minded' about guns in this game.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#6groupersoup(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 1:36:37 PM
First of al if you're saying Risen 2 is a pirate game you're wrong and do not know what you're taking about. Saying Risen 2 is a pirate game is saying it's Pirates of the Caribbean.

I find mind blowing is how you along with everyone else who tries calling Risen 2 a pirate game, cannot seem to separate the difference between a game with an aspect added to it, and a game that is actually made with nothing but that aspect.

Risen 2 is a renaissance game that has pirates ADDED to it but itself as a whole is not a pirate game.

As for FABLE III let me clarify what I mean by this:
Fable III take place in the renaissance time era, has guns and pirates and magic, and if you cannot how RIsen 2 copied Fable III with just about 3/4 of the stuff, then you shouldn't be playing games and or making comments on a message on a forum to anyone about their input because you clearly do not know what type of game you're actually playing.
#7countingdown27Posted 5/9/2012 1:45:14 PM
I'm confused, TC. Didn't Fable 2 have guns? And pirates?
If you don't know that Risen 2 is more like Fable 2 then you
don't deserve to post on this forum. Also, didn't Baldur's
Gate 2 have pirates? Maybe it's more like that game...

Wait, it's like Pirates! Yeah, they both have pirate ships.
#8groupersoup(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 2:03:44 PM
Stop trying to twist out of context what i'm saying.

You and anyone else reading this full well know exactly what I'm talking about, so stop acting stupid and trying to change what i said into something it's not and I didn't say.
#9brutz1aPosted 5/9/2012 3:23:53 PM
Risen 1 was a Gothic game, without the the Gothic name, because PB didn't have the right to use the Gothic name when Risen 1 was developed. Now that PB has regained the Gothic rights, and I assume wishes to restart the franchise, and also continue with the Risen franchise, again I'm assuming, they needed to change the Risen games up, hence guns, voodoo, pirates etc., or they would be making the same games with two different names.
#10N3BurgenerPosted 5/9/2012 3:32:55 PM
groupersoup posted...
.... then you shouldn't be playing games and or making comments on a message on a forum to anyone about their input because you clearly do not know what type of game you're actually playing.

Well I, for one, certainly know what type of game I'm playing -- a pretty fun and enjoyable RPG with a big pirate element to it.

But seriously, what's your definition of a "pirate game"? So far all you've said on the matter is "Risen 2 is not a pirate game" while being incredibly rude to people who think it is. I mean, the way I see it, in Risen 2 you play a pirate character, there are numerous pirates and pirate-locales, plenty of pirate-esque lore, and the plot revolves entirely around feuding pirate captains. If that's not a "pirate game," then what is?

groupersoup posted...
Saying Risen 2 is a pirate game is saying it's Pirates of the Caribbean.

Funny you should mention that, because just recently I was realizing how much Risen 2 reminded me of the last two films in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com