When will I learn?

#1simonsteelePosted 1/2/2013 1:15:40 AM
The makers of Gothics and Risen always get bad reviews and I've loved all those games (except Gothic 4 and Forsaken Gods, but that's a whole different issue unrelated to this). So when Risen 2 came out to bad reviews why did I not just ignore them and buy it? Now that I have it...friggin' amazing, just like I should have known it to be.
---
Check out my new zombie novel, "Archetype" www.simonleezombie.com
#2MadJak91Posted 1/2/2013 6:22:11 AM
I agree.
I ignore reviews and judge the games myself. Some players say that the plot is minimal but I think that despite some elements not being properly explained, the whole experience is amazing.

It is usually like this with EU games... PB's games were never too popular outside of EU and I will never understand why...
---
Gaming paradox - The lower the score the better the game
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaccob5/
#3drclaeysPosted 1/7/2013 6:10:50 AM
Friends,

I play on the ps3, and this game is pretty good. You can see its a PC game, they expect you to be close to your screen. sitting about 8 feet back from a 40 inch tv, and I can not see the writting, or make it out.

I have alot of complaints. But its mostly because I dont know what Im doing, or where im going. There is not alot of hand holding in the beginning. I just played 100 hours of skyrim, put the game on easy, and I dont think I died once. Well maybe 2 times, falling off a mountain. In this game I can die about 20 different ways. jaugars. spike traps, other traps, falling off cliffs.. etc.

BUT with all that said, it is hard to put down. The voice acting is good. The accents are good. It seems like a big game.

Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#4MadJak91Posted 1/8/2013 3:15:24 AM
I agree that it can be frustrating at first because of all those traps, jaguars and ghouls (I hate them).
Even though the combat is pretty simple it makes you thing when fighting these enemies. You can block most of the attacks in the PC version so I understand people complaining about it on a console. At least I think you cannot block monsters there...

You will get into it. Once you clear the first island and a bit of the second, things will get easier.
---
#5N3BurgenerPosted 1/8/2013 4:05:51 PM
The thing with Risen 2 is that it developed a bad rap early on for a number of genuine problems in the launch version, which were all mostly ironed out in a patch that came out a few weeks later. I played and finished the game before that patch was even released and still enjoyed the experience, but some of those issues definitely held the game back, and even with those problems fixed, Risen 2 still feels like a step back from the quality of Gothic 2.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com
#6MadJak91Posted 1/9/2013 11:32:05 AM
Maybe that is part of the problem.
After Risen 1 which was very similar to Gothic 1 in terms of story people probably expected Gothic 2 in this game.

Yeah, it is not Gothic but I think it managed to deliver its message. Some parts of the story and lore were left out in the open though...
---
#7simonsteele(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 12:06:48 PM
Well I'm a lot further now, and being a PB "vet", I have just learned to accept certain things about these games. Difficulty is super high (not in this game...), no fast travel, etc. So last night, 12 hours in, I figure out I can fast travel. First I figure out there are canoes that transport you around, and I was like "thanks PB", but still a lot of wandering in between the two places. Now I realize I just click on places. Arghhh!
---
Check out my new zombie novel, "Archetype" www.simonleezombie.com
#8N3BurgenerPosted 1/27/2013 7:25:18 AM
I did the same thing.
---
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com