Akai Katana vs Deathsmiles

#1GOLDILOXPosted 5/19/2012 11:39:56 PM
Which do you prefer, and why? Sorta unfair to judge a game that most of you just started playing. It might help to know if you have the Japanese copy, or how long you've played each game for.

I honestly can't decide, they are both great. I need to do a back to back playthrough soon to compare.
---
we... must... save... this... doomed... world...
#2razzle170286Posted 5/20/2012 8:37:50 AM
Both games suffer from the same problems. They both are way too easy for single loop games and the score systems don't allow for much creativity. Although i love both games i would say Deathsmiles is the better game overall seeing as it has multiple difficulty levels.
---
United Kingdom. The only country in the world were having children is a career.
#3HermanTuttlePosted 5/20/2012 10:14:21 AM(edited)
No contest, Deathsmiles. There's actual level design instead of just waves of enemies chucked your way. Enemies and bullet patterns are a lot more imaginative and the scoring mechanics aren't quite so arbitrary.

Also, if Deathsmiles is too easy, kindly crank the difficulty up to Level 999. There's just no way to get that kind of insanity in AK.
#4FefnirOmega13Posted 5/20/2012 11:18:48 AM
Having merely played AK through lending it from a friend (and having to give it back the next day) and actually owning DS myself I'm going to have to say the clear winner is DS... just because I love the final level so much. Certainly done right. Love the difficulty curve in that game too, it can be set to be just right, challenging or insanity depending on how you feel.

Although I suppose favouritism could be the order of the day here as it was the first non-touhou bullet hell game I tried, mind... DeathSmiles was easily the best 7 I ever spent (But not the best 5, that goes to Disgaea DS)
---
Fan of Bullet Hell. Cave and Touhou mostly. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Mario Kart 7 (MnK*Toejam,1977-0150-7507)
#5whyterose86Posted 5/20/2012 11:32:13 AM
I prefer AKS, but that's just me:) It is much more pleasing visually, has 16:9 ratio, and a way better scoring mechanic than collecting skulls or crowns....meaning there's actually a little work involved to score high in AKS. The level design IS actually better in DS....because it really is just chucking enemies at you in AKS, so that's a valid point. I don't get where people are calling this game easy though. I 1cc DS with every character on at least difficulty of 2 & 3 on the stages, but have yet to 1cc AKS with any character....granted I've only played two or three hours maybe, but it's not like you'll just pick it up and 1cc:/
#6whyterose86Posted 5/20/2012 11:36:14 AM
^P.s. Figured I'd mention I've also only played Slash mode in AKS, which may also. E why I have yet to 1cc
#7HermanTuttlePosted 5/20/2012 11:39:05 AM
Yep, Origin/Climax mode is definitely a lot more forgiving for a 1CC. Especially Origin, with the lower suicide bullet count.

Don't get me wrong, standard Deathsmiles is easy for survival. But on Level 999, just one-lifing the first stage feels like an accomplishment. AKS doesn't have any modes like that.
#8whyterose86Posted 5/20/2012 12:06:09 PM
You're absolutely right about difficulty settings on DS, and AKS not having any settings options....it's a tough call for me man, especially since DS was my first Cave shooter, but I just have to go with AKS. This game is pure eyecandy compared to DS, and I think most people agree that it has a deeper scoring mechanic too. For people that love playing with score mechanics and eyecandy=AKS. For people that need more challenge(difficulty settings) and interesting design=DS:) Both are great tho
#9SteelguardPosted 5/21/2012 8:38:11 AM
I am absolutely loving AKS, slash mode. The score mechanic is easy to grasp and extremely fulfilling to pull off (aka katanas ripping through everything). DS was my first Cave shmup, and I love that too. AKS is somehow the first Cave shmup that I enjoy and have fun with scoring. Others are fun too but I can't get as into it because scoring seems so complex (ESP2 I'm looking at you). Maybe I really enjoy AKS because it's easier to grasp and easier in general because I'm terrible at shmups (even though I adore them).

I much prefer vertical shooters but I am definitely loving the 16:9 hori.

sidenote: AKS Theme 1 is pretty awesome :D
---
Peace Walker 1095/1974
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7205/6872306358_5972b172bd_z.jpg
#10GOLDILOX(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2012 11:18:48 AM
Wow, I'm impressed with the responses so far! :)

I'd say that both games are in my top 5 cave titles for sure. I'll try to do a back-to-back 1CC of them this week and make a verdict. I never played a whole lot of DS-MBL999...
---
we... must... save... this... doomed... world...