Gamestop starting to have trade-ins for figures?

#1EricDent1Posted 4/17/2012 8:03:42 PM
At the local GameStop, when I went to trade in some games and was looking at the various Skylanders figures they had. The guy mentioned that they are starting to take the figures in for trade value.

Has anybody else been told that?
---
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever
#2Xx5ILLYR4BBITxXPosted 4/17/2012 8:30:23 PM
I dont think thaty will last long if at all why would anyone want to sell there figures? Alot of the ppl that buy skylander figures are collectors and I doubt little kids would give them up.
#3RossmacdaddyPosted 4/18/2012 4:56:04 AM
They're a little too late to the punch. If they had done this in early January, they would have done pretty well for a few months. But now that the supply is swelling to ridiculous amounts at most retailers (especially the older ones), expect Skylanders to be in a "bin" at your local GameStop pretty soon.
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
#4RossmacdaddyPosted 4/18/2012 3:46:44 PM
I saw a Legendary Trigger Happy for sale at Gamestop today for 19.99 (17.99 if you're a member of their points BS). WTH are they smoking? Yeah... they totally missed the profitability window by about two months...
---
#5RossmacdaddyPosted 4/20/2012 8:53:29 AM
I went back today and the same GameStop had raised the price on the SAME Legendary Trigger Happy to 23.99. I started chatting with the clerk and I told him that every TRU I've been to has pegs FULL of Legendary Trigger Happy that haven't moved in weeks. He was doubtful, and his only counter was "Isn't he the elite version of that guy?" I said it didn't matter because anyone can go to TRU and get this figure, unopened, for $10. Nevermind that the trade-in figs they sell don't include the card/sticker/webcode.

Someone at GameStop needs to be brought down a peg...
---
#6EricDent1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 12:59:13 PM
If they are doing that then it won't sell.

They need to put little notes like "fully powered up" on pre-owned figures.
That would make it worth that price.
IE if somebody went through the trouble of going through and doing all the Heroic Challenges & powerups available for a character.

Though the question does occur, can you claim ownership of any Skylander that you put on the Portal of Power?
---
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever
#7SvenyipPosted 4/20/2012 6:18:10 PM
The problem with Gamestop - and the reason why their irrationally inflated prices often work - is that they only need to sell that preowned item ONCE and they've won.

And no matter how much I'd like to believe otherwise, they'll ALWAYS find a clueless parent or a desperate 10-year-old that will purchase the figure regardless of savings or availability.

For instance, my local Gamestop had three preowned "Adventure Pack" sets - just the figures in plastic bags, really, and were charging $19.99 for each set. (One of them didn't even have all the pieces!) I went back a few days later and they only had one of the sets left. This is despite the fact you could literally walk three doors down, go to Target and buy the pack NEW for the same price.
---
[360] Peridot Weapon (no underscore)
[PS3/Vita] Peridot_Weapon (with underscore)