MY favorite upgrade paths.

#21ChakDen1Posted 12/20/2011 2:45:56 AM
Megax11 - You seem to be doing a very good job at analysing the Skylanders, so I'm going to request you do an analysis of Zap. I've got him and have put him down the lightning path, and in my opinion he's rubbish. So, if you get time, please do a post about Zap! =)
---
He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.
#22zinformantPosted 12/20/2011 5:57:06 AM
ChakDen1 posted...
Megax11 - You seem to be doing a very good job at analysing the Skylanders, so I'm going to request you do an analysis of Zap. I've got him and have put him down the lightning path, and in my opinion he's rubbish. So, if you get time, please do a post about Zap! =)

I'm going to request that mega skips Zap now for that reason...he's rubbish. I'd rather read Hex at this point. I'd say your Zap would have been more useful with the other path, though. The lightning path seemed generic.

After reading all of the Drill Sergeant analyses, I took the Battledozer path. I use him as ranged more often than not--my preferred play style--so it made sense, I suppose.
---
I'm gonna go butter up my pooper with it real good!
#23RossmacdaddyPosted 12/20/2011 6:56:59 AM
zinformant posted...
ChakDen1 posted...

I'm going to request that mega skips Zap now for that reason...he's rubbish. I'd rather read Hex at this point. I'd say your Zap would have been more useful with the other path, though. The lightning path seemed generic.

After reading all of the Drill Sergeant analyses, I took the Battledozer path. I use him as ranged more often than not--my preferred play style--so it made sense, I suppose.

I'll say this again then I'll stop (maybe). The problem with all the "charge" upgrade routes is that you are required to put your Skylander in physical proximity to do any damage with these moves. This is a poor choice because you will usually take damage in doing so or leave yourself in a less favorable position than you were a moment ago. Additionally, charge moves have terrible DPS that further justify why putting yourself in close proximity repeatedly doesn't pay off.

It's not a new problem that dashing into an enemy as an attack falls short of expectations. More often than not, it's usually a "deal damage then immediately take damage" scenario. The most prominent examples of this I can recall is Charge Kick from Mega Man 5 or Top Spin from Mega Man 3. For this reason, I don't see why anyone would focus on a "charge" upgrade path for any Skylander. I'll take an upgrade route that gives me more control over my character any day - melee or ranged. For me, charge moves will always be an "escape" move.
---
PKMN White FC: 1635 5347 1082
#24TolerohPosted 12/20/2011 6:57:06 AM
Here's a comment on Voodood's magic path.

I have fully upgraded my Voodood on magic skills and he has turned into a walking joy buzzer. His axe swings and hits against him both shock the entire area and have a knockback effect. The extended range on the axe due to the magic field is a little ridiculous. He hardly needs to set wire traps any more with those upgrades although I still like watching enemies walk into them.

Even though this is great, I will probably just unlock his reflect wires, try those out against various projectiles, and then reset him to try the axe path. The axe is why I wanted him in the first place. The magic blasts were just extra.

Voodood is faster than he looks. He's got that big skull hat but it doesn't slow him down. You just have to watch out for too many misses with the grapple axe. Those can be costly when you don't strike anything.
#25megax11(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2011 10:25:09 AM
My son's Drill Sergeant, going down the Battledozer path couldn't best my Megadozer path, as I simply had too many damage options available to me.

Here's how our matches played out.

Cyclops Arena

First battle: He tries the whole range thing, thinking his 8 rockets would hit me. He landed NONE. I waited patiently until he got sick of trying and came after me,

When he comes at me, I fire my now fast-as-a-machinegun auto blaster, while launching drills. 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2 + 14,14,14,14,14,14,14 at the same time. By this time, it has turned into a very offensive match of who can do the most damage. He loses (he doesn't suck).

Second battle: We play the waiting game... again. This time I decide to move in on him, because I know that even while not using my charge move, I am able to dodge his 8 slow rockets - because they have to explode from a drill first). I am able to get one hit with my un-fully-upgraded drill since it still hones from the other side of the screen (he's at the opposite end). I then go back and wait while he fires his rockets, thinking again he will hit me... he gets off NONE. He has no other option than to keep firing ranged missles that never hit, or come at me. He decides to come at me, I do the same as above, because it turns into an offensive battle. He loses... again.

He beat me once, but because I had my daughter come in and ask me a question so he got some cheap shots off on me.

Here's the funny part. Anytime he hit me with a drill, it exploded into 4 rockets, but went straight into the air and never came back down. So I only took 18 damage. This is, of course, when we were on the offense.

I could best a Battledozer Drill Sergeant with ANY character, I will bet actual money on that. However, if I went up against a Megadozer Drill Sergeant, I could still win, but it wouldn't AS easy, because that DS can come at me with three different attacks. Two can be spammed at the same time (auto blaster/drill or auto blaster/charge).

My next characters will be -

Hex (by request)
Boomer (has the possibility of being near impossible to beat in PVP if you ask me)
Zap (by request)

I would have done this sooner, but I have been maxing heroics with these characters to give a better analysis, seeing as characters get much faster, harder to hit, etc...
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1306 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28
#26RossmacdaddyPosted 12/21/2011 2:31:10 PM
Let me save you some time. I already know the best upgrade choice for Zap...

... I have upgraded him to the trash can instead of my Skylanders box.

Seriously though, I really can't believe how bad Zap is. For character with high speed, low defense, and low attack power, I expected him to have high DPS as a saving grace. Didn't happen. I can't bear to use him at all. I admit I tried very hard to convince myself he would be a beast after getting fully upgraded, but he is anything but. Brief overview:

1.) His lightning attack has a pretty slow repeat rate, is single target only, and deals garbage for damage. If you go Tesla Dragon path, his lightning will bounce - ONCE. Sometimes it will bounce twice, but it seems to be completely random when it decides to do this. To add insult to injury, if lightning IS bouncing somewhere, you can't fire more bolts. So if you miss, you're in even more trouble (see Trigger Happy on how to make this mechanic work CORRECTLY).

2.) His slime dash is a good idea executed poorly. The slime does nothing useful unless you electrify it. You can electrify it by shooting it or by going down the Slime Serpent (name?) route and it will automatically electrify. One HUGE glaring issue here. The slime doesn't stay around for long, and once you electrify it, it goes away even faster. As a trap move, it is utterly useless.

3.) The wave attack is TOOOOO SLOOOOOW. It's basically a second dash move, but it takes longer to perform. They really couldn't give him anything better than this? On the Tesla Dragon Route the wave can electrify foes, but it's still low damage, and takes too long to pull off.

4.) His Soul Gem power is utterly worthless. Regenerate Health while in water? REALLY!? I realize that Stump Smash got this one too, but at least his other attacks are far more useful that Zap's.

Zap got all 22 inches of the shaft on his moveset. His primary attack is too weak and too slow to spam, his slime dash is oppontunistic at best and doesn't serve as a viable trap move, and his wave attack is slow and hard to use to any advantage.

It's too bad too because we've only had two Water types to play with so far, and Zap is by far my least favorite character of the current 23.
---
PKMN White FC: 1635 5347 1082
#27Tyris01Posted 12/21/2011 9:14:13 PM
First off... MEGAX11, your SL reviews are awesome. I had similar thoughts for the Fear Eater path for Ghost Roaster, and upon performing a Google search, found your post and confirmed my thoughts.

I had similar thoughts for Drill Sgt. I picked the missile path on accident, and judging from your analysis and my testing revealing almost identical results, I'm going to reset it soon and start over on the other path.

Anyway, to add my small contributions here... in regards to Zap...

Zap isn't all that BAD, but he's not all that good. He's ultimately defensive, and pays for his speed by having almost no burst offense. It's all about the long game and forcing the enemy to play on your terms.

The first thing to note is that his lightning breath is a three-round-burst attack. You can spam it, but only at a certain speed, and it fires in three round bursts. It also has to wait for ammo recharge. Try this by shooting at a wall or something right in front of his face, you'll see.

The second thing is that his slime trail makes him REALLY fast, but turns slow. You can also start sliding within a fraction of a second after stopping. You can do this so quickly that if your trail is sparking, when your slide stops, you can start sliding again so fast the new trail starts electrified. While others may achieve a higher speed with their moves (flight, ninja flip, etc), he can maintain his while also slowing the enemy down.

The third is, due to 1 and 2. Tesla Dragon is TERRIBAD. Sure, your breath does a bit more damage, and bounces, but you'll never be a Trigger Happy or Drobot.

Slime Serpent is much better, for PvE and PvP. On the PS3 version (which I have, sadly not Wii, but your post isn't there) at least, it does 4 damage per tick, with a tick occuring 3-4 times per second. The upgrade makes this do 6 on the PS3 version. Doesn't sound like much, but remember the enemy will be going slower and can get interrupted while stuck in the stuff. Also, "Strength In Numbers" lets you have about 3x as many slime 'blobs' on the ground at once, and they last about twice as long. The other upgrade just makes them start electrified, which as I said above seems a bit of a waste, but is actually not too bad if you're fighting something that can knock you around.

Playing Zap is pretty much the same in PvE or PvP. You play like a Tron Lightcycle, zooming around foes and daring them to smash their faces into your glowing trail. In PvE, all you have to do is cut a line past the mobs and they'll all get stuck and die on it. You really dont need other attacks except when something's outside your sliding area (guys on platforms, etc).

In PvP, you have to know the maps and item spawns. Play carefully, you can mostly cut the opponent out of getting items, but you'll do more with your tail facing them than your face. Melee toons have problems, as you can leave a path that makes them suffer. Ones that have slow guided shots at a range (Hi Drill Sgt, sup Hex!) are likely not going to hit. Your other attacks are irritations.

Your moment of glory occurs when the enemy is foolish enough to run along multiple slimes. Cancel your slide, turn to face them, and fire off a wave followed by your 3-round burst. The wave will 'push' them back onto more slimes, while your free couple of hits will add to the damage.

However, just like a Lightcycle, running into anything head on means pain, because your speed is your life. Your only advantage is that anything trying to close in is going to lose almost as much as you. Foes with powerful long range non-guided attacks that they can use while moving will pretty much slaughter you. Which is ironic, since one of the easiest guys to kil Zap with is his fellow Water-type, Gill Grunt.

On the whole, Zap isn't that great, but if you're playing him as a Tesla Dragon, you're playing him wrong.
#28megax11(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2011 9:39:46 PM
Nice analysis, Tyris.

Despite me making this thread to list my favorite upgrade paths, everyone is free to post theirs and why.

I like how you (and Ross with Zap) went indepth with the analysis, so by all means multiple opinions are appreciated, in order to help others determine which path they want to take with each of their Skylanders.
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1306 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28
#29ChakDen1Posted 12/22/2011 1:07:43 AM
4 things -

1: I've said this on the other favourite upgrade path page, but www.spyro.wikia has information on every Skylander and their upgrade paths, even some pictures, although it doesn't offer opinions on WHY you should choose them.

2: I don't know if any of you guys know this, but Perilous Pastures' first gate, the Tech one, is very good for coins. In fact, the whole level up to the area where Magic Skylanders are stronger is very good for coins. So if you need some coins for upgrades, and if you haven't already tried, take a look there.

3. Thank you everyone who gave their opinions on Zap. Much appreciated.

4. SInce Megax11 said we're welcome to post our own opinions on Skylanders and their upgrade paths, I thought I'd make a post about Bash. For Bash, I've chosen his Granite Dragon path. This path makes him ridiculously strong, though it doesn't make him a one-trick pony, as Mega would say, because this path focuses on two of Bash's moves, his tail swipe and his stone projection. If you choose this path you'll still use his roll attack too, because its good for moving around fast. The first upgrade for Bash is a bit misleading, but pretty good, as the picture shows a huge mace in place of his tail, this change doesn't actually make the tail look like a huge mace, but it still increases the damage. The second upgrade turns the stone projection from a rock column into a huge stonefist, which increases the damage of the stone projection. It also makes the stonefist look really cool =) The third upgrade, however, is so good, it compares to Trigger Happy's Golden Yamato Blast. With this upgrade - Gaia Hammer - it makes this upgrade chargeable, so when fully charged it turns into a huge hammer on the end of his tail which deals about 240 damage. This can also hit more than one enemy, so it's ridiculously strong. The Pulver dragon path's first upgrade increases the roll's damage, which is pretty good, but it might turn Bash into a one-trick pony. The second upgrade lets you roll right through people, which isn't that great in my opinion. And the third upgrade is the only one that really appeals to me, as it lets Bash turn huge when he continues to roll, letting him deal lots of damage. This path doesn't seem too bad, but if you compare it to Granite Dragon, well, its just not compareable =)
---
He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.
#30megax11(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2011 11:03:49 AM
See, with Bash, I actually took the other path. His rolling path.

I did this because his roll sucks in damage from the start, while his tail always does good damage from the start.

With his roll beingas powerful as his tail swipes, he has more options for damage. The charge attack takes too long to get off in PVP (but probably works well in single player). In PVP people are going to tail attack or roll after someone who is just trying to get off the charges tail attack.

I will do an analysis on him, as well as the other three I listed, as soon as I get some time. I am putting them through the ringer in order to provide better analysis' on the characters after they have gone through Heroic Challenges.
---