Is the actual game any good?

#1KurtDrakanReduxPosted 4/27/2012 11:48:12 AM
I get it's about collecting toys, but is the game fun to play? I don't get it.
---
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent. - Buddha
#2zinformantPosted 4/27/2012 11:57:59 AM
Your mileage may vary, but I'd say the game is fun. It's easy, too. Why is it fun? I'd argue the "fun" comes out of swapping toys during gameplay. I had NO intention of collecting them all at release butwill be at 31/32 characters by tonight. Everyone says it's like Gauntlet, if that sort of gameplay appeals to you. Also, it's good with kids who aren't already hooked on Skyrim (and I have other thoughts on that, but that's a soapbox for another day...).

If you don't want to make the investment (you will want a minimum of one character per element), I'd suggest passing and going for something cheaper.
---
You could write a book, call it "Unidentified Loving Object". It'd sell millions.
#3EricDent1Posted 4/28/2012 2:16:38 AM
It's a pretty fun game, though it can be a bit frustrating for younger people.
Especially if all the Skylanders die in a level.

Be warned it is extremely addicting as well. Before you know it you will drop some serious cash in order to get a decent little army of Skylanders.

Personally I kinda set a limit on myself to 16 Skylanders, but I still look at the various stores to see if any really cool ones have come out.

Was kinda tempted to try to get the Volcanic Vault thing at a local Best Buy. However it's the store that is closing down, and the only Skylander they had (besides the 3DS starter kit) that I did not have was Eruptor. Which of course would not make it enough for the $25 minimum on Skylander stuff.
Since I don't have a 3DS it seemed kinda silly to spend $60 on that just for 2 figures (already have Stealth Elf).
---
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever
#4diving_devil46Posted 4/28/2012 1:36:45 PM(edited)
It's a decent enough game.

There were a few things I wish they had (online PvP would be one of them; wouldn't even want rankings; just the ability to get more mileage out of the figures).

Gauntlet or Diablo-ish are the most apt comparisons, but it is certainly a lighter / easier game than those.

The main story missions will require multiple playthroughs (2-3 typically) to find everything and second time through most of the cut-scenes are skipable (though not all).

I'd give it a 6.5 - 7 out of 10 as a game I.E fair to good. You will probably end up with more Skylanders than you can be bothered to level mind. I have 31 atm and only 4-5 of them are maxed out; and about 8 of them aren't even opened as of yet heh...
#5TolerohPosted 4/30/2012 5:34:45 AM
Fun to play?

Fun to play????!

Skylands needs saving from the evil of Kaos!!!!

Don't talk about "FUN TO PLAY"
---
Skylander's Universe PortalMaster Happy Libertyelf
#6megax11Posted 4/30/2012 9:31:00 AM
If you're an oldschool gamer like me, you will like it due to its Gauntlet/Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy feel. In other words, it feels like an arcade game, but more fleshed out due in part to the physical toy collecting and stat building.
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1323 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28