Ross, Mega, discuss Elemental Advantages and Power

#1TolerohPosted 6/25/2012 6:15:00 AM
The more I play PVP and the quality of my opponents improves, the more I am frustrated by elemental advantages and bonuses.

Would the astute and seasoned posters here comment on whether or not they think elemental advantages ruin PVP matches when the two opponents are not element neutral? ie. Fire vs. Life

I have banned Pook Blade Stealth Elf from our game so she's on Forest Ninja. But does Stealth Elf really beat a maxed out Elemental Power Cynder (Undead > Life) ?

Thank you
---
Skylander's Universe PortalMaster Happy Libertyelf
#2RossmacdaddyPosted 6/25/2012 6:51:25 AM
Depends on the matchup... but yes Elemental bonuses are a pain in PvP.

Since you brought it up, lets talk about Stealth Elf and Cynder. We all know Undead > Life, but Pook Blade Stealth Elf is so flipping (heh heh) fast that Cynder's main weakness is exploited - melee range. SE should always be advancing forward to close in for a melee stomp-fest. She can do that quite well, so Cynder has to be careful. SE's HP is a respectable 540 (IIRC), which is high enough to take some hits. Cynder's attacks are individually pretty low damage, so the elemental bonus isn't as high as it would be for someone like Bash or Voodood. Her attacks will hurt SE badly enough, but SE's DPS is crazy good. Cynder's best defense is her dash + ghosts... which demands that she is on Shadowdancer. While this is an amazing move by itself, it isn't as easy to trap a melee attacker with it. The slowness (Wii only...) will be a problem, but SE can flip right out of it and keep her speed up to chase. I consider this to be a pretty even matchup since SE does a pretty good job of covering the Undead weakness with her speed and DPS.

Other "unbalanced" Elemental bonus matchups:

Bash vs Trigger Happy: Granite Dragon can one shot Trigger Happy. Since Trig doesn't have a dash move, its not as hard as it seems to charge Gaia Hammer off a bounce pad and end the fight immediately. This is kind of true for Boomer too... but Boomer can push back Bash at the last minute with some reliability.

Double Trouble vs Hex: This matchup is just sad. Hex gets annihilated so fast it's not even funny. One or two doubles is enough to put her on the backfoot while you lock on with your beam... then it's all over. If she gets testy and breaks the lock on, a Magic Bomb will end that protest just as quickly.

Slam Bam vs Sunburn: This one surprised me, but it makes perfect sense. Sunburn is so random and awkward that Slam Bam can just keep freezing and dashing in for a good pummeling. Sunburn can't match Slam Bam's range, so it's a pretty uneven fight.

There are others were it comes into play, but these are the three matchups that come to mind immediately.
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
#3Toleroh(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2012 6:46:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback

How about Sonic Boom vs. Bash...? :(

Basically this just creates a bunch of unplayable matchups in the game.

I think it needs to be an option to switch it on and off.
---
Skylander's Universe PortalMaster Happy Libertyelf
#4RossmacdaddyPosted 6/27/2012 6:41:22 AM(edited)
Toleroh posted...
Thanks for the feedback

How about Sonic Boom vs. Bash...? :(

Basically this just creates a bunch of unplayable matchups in the game.

I think it needs to be an option to switch it on and off.

Unless I'm missing something... Bash shouldn't have any trouble with Sonic Boom head to head. The Roar will have a nasty kick with the elemental bonus, but Bash can swat away baby griffins very easily with his 360 degree tail. I prefere Granite Dragon, but maybe I can see how Pulver Dragon has a harder time with the lower damage on the tail. Still though... Sonic Boom's flight can't get him far enough away from Bash's roll... so I don't see a huge imbalance. Bash having HP over 600 doesn't hurt either. :)

Since I'm thinking about it, I think in general Life Skylanders suffer the least from their PvP elemental weakness. None of the Undead Skylanders can claim absolute damage superiority over Life since the highest damage attacks (i.e. Hex's skulls / Ghost Roasters tail) aren't the fastest or most reliable attacks in the game. Meanwhile Stealth Elf tears up most Skylanders no matter who she's facing, Zook has ridiculous AoE and an amazing damaging defensive move, and Camo has those godly watermelons. Stump Smash's has some good points too, but I can't argue he isn't painfully slow overall (though having the highest HP in the game doesn't hurt - 680).

Each other element has at least one elemental bonus bruiser:

Water: Slam Bam
Fire: Ignitor (And Eruptor to a lesser degree)
Air: Lightning Rod (kinda)
Earth: Bash & Dino Rang (Boomerang Shield)
Tech: Drobot (pew pew... but damn it adds up...)
Magic: Double Trouble & Voodood
Undead: *fizzle*
Life: Stealth Elf, Zook, & Camo

Not that other types aren't amazing, but if we're talking JUST Elemental Bonsues, these guys come to mind. Kinda makes you feel bad for Water types in general!
---
#5megax11Posted 6/30/2012 9:37:35 AM
What Ross said. The elemental weakness/strength carries over to PVP. In PVP it makes almost every hit by the stronger element, a critical hit.
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1323 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28
#6NickLOLZPosted 6/30/2012 11:16:42 AM
Rossmacdaddy posted...
Depends on the matchup... but yes Elemental bonuses are a pain in PvP.

Since you brought it up, lets talk about Stealth Elf and Cynder. We all know Undead > Life, but Pook Blade Stealth Elf is so flipping (heh heh) fast that Cynder's main weakness is exploited - melee range. SE should always be advancing forward to close in for a melee stomp-fest. She can do that quite well, so Cynder has to be careful. SE's HP is a respectable 540 (IIRC), which is high enough to take some hits. Cynder's attacks are individually pretty low damage, so the elemental bonus isn't as high as it would be for someone like Bash or Voodood. Her attacks will hurt SE badly enough, but SE's DPS is crazy good. Cynder's best defense is her dash + ghosts... which demands that she is on Shadowdancer. While this is an amazing move by itself, it isn't as easy to trap a melee attacker with it. The slowness (Wii only...) will be a problem, but SE can flip right out of it and keep her speed up to chase. I consider this to be a pretty even matchup since SE does a pretty good job of covering the Undead weakness with her speed and DPS.

Other "unbalanced" Elemental bonus matchups:

Bash vs Trigger Happy: Granite Dragon can one shot Trigger Happy. Since Trig doesn't have a dash move, its not as hard as it seems to charge Gaia Hammer off a bounce pad and end the fight immediately. This is kind of true for Boomer too... but Boomer can push back Bash at the last minute with some reliability.

Double Trouble vs Hex: This matchup is just sad. Hex gets annihilated so fast it's not even funny. One or two doubles is enough to put her on the backfoot while you lock on with your beam... then it's all over. If she gets testy and breaks the lock on, a Magic Bomb will end that protest just as quickly.

Slam Bam vs Sunburn: This one surprised me, but it makes perfect sense. Sunburn is so random and awkward that Slam Bam can just keep freezing and dashing in for a good pummeling. Sunburn can't match Slam Bam's range, so it's a pretty uneven fight.

There are others were it comes into play, but these are the three matchups that come to mind immediately.

(reads sunburns match)
Gasp!!!!!
Well we'll just see about DAT!
(grabs Sunburn and finds the nearest Slam Bam)
---
3DS friend code:0946-2562-0443
If they made a Rags(the nickelodeon)video game I would buy it.
#7NickLOLZPosted 6/30/2012 11:19:42 AM
Oh wait.Is it normal that my Sunburn can beat the living gizmos out of my little brothers Drobot...
---
3DS friend code:0946-2562-0443
If they made a Rags(the nickelodeon)video game I would buy it.
#8motosadaPosted 6/30/2012 4:03:36 PM
Is there a list of the elemental advantages?
---
Take me out to the black. Tell 'em I ain't coming back.
#9RossmacdaddyPosted 6/30/2012 5:48:42 PM
Life > Water
Water > Fire
Fire > Air
Air > Earth
Earth > Tech
Tech > Magic
Magic > Undead
Undead > Life
---
#10motosadaPosted 7/1/2012 5:12:02 PM
Thank you. :)
---
Take me out to the black. Tell 'em I ain't coming back.