Character Ratings Topic - Final Standings

#31Rossmacdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 8:58:37 AM
Bump for great justice
---
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
#32PookBladeSaintPosted 12/10/2012 5:26:28 PM
Rossmacdaddy posted...
Bump for great justice

I' m not sure how Gamefaqs works exactly, but can you make this list into a faq? Its a great resource and it would be a shame if it fell off the boards.

BTW, have you ever seen the coin-op tv guy who does the skylanders 101 videos on YouTube? His favorite skylander is Zap and he pretty much recommends the opposite path for each character from those you chose, but your choices seem much more informed.
#33Rossmacdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 8:35:34 PM
PookBladeSaint posted...
Rossmacdaddy posted...
Bump for great justice

I' m not sure how Gamefaqs works exactly, but can you make this list into a faq? Its a great resource and it would be a shame if it fell off the boards.

BTW, have you ever seen the coin-op tv guy who does the skylanders 101 videos on YouTube? His favorite skylander is Zap and he pretty much recommends the opposite path for each character from those you chose, but your choices seem much more informed.

I've been trying to get this topic stickied so it doesn't get archived, but I need more votes.

As for Skylanders 101... I think I've seen some of those videos... but I discount any "fan" videos that can't look at a character and say "this character is effecting in doing "X," but not "Y." Most of the Skylanders stuff on Youtube is unboxing videos, gameplay videos recorded with a potato, or collection videos. The good reviews are few and far between. :(
---
#34KFrosty3Posted 12/13/2012 9:20:06 AM
why not make a video series of your own? that way even if this topic dies, you still have your videos.
---
I still think Pac-Man was the best game and had the best storyline... EVER!!! 'nuff said.
#35Rossmacdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 9:48:06 AM
KFrosty3 posted...
why not make a video series of your own? that way even if this topic dies, you still have your videos.

Time. I post on here while I'm at work because it takes almost no effort to check posts every once and a while. Make videos? I lack decent equipment... and I doubt I could keep my kids out of the room long enough to do decent commentary. It would be nice if I could though.
---
#36PookBladeSaintPosted 12/18/2012 11:44:27 AM
Rossmacdaddy posted...
PookBladeSaint posted...
Rossmacdaddy posted...
Bump for great justice

I've been trying to get this topic stickied so it doesn't get archived, but I need more votes.

As for Skylanders 101... I think I've seen some of those videos... but I discount any "fan" videos that can't look at a character and say "this character is effecting in doing "X," but not "Y." Most of the Skylanders stuff on Youtube is unboxing videos, gameplay videos recorded with a potato, or collection videos. The good reviews are few and far between. :(

The guy isn't exactly a hyperactive teenaged fanboi doing videos out of his mom's basement with a home video camera pointed at the screen...he's probably close to 30 and seems to be part of a larger gaming network and the videos are pretty high quality. He is critical of specific Skylanders, it's just that his criticisms don't align with yours...for example, he loves Zap, but doesn't think Stealth Elf is very good. Of course he has her on the Scarecrows path...

Anyway, I found the videos to be a decent preview of the game when I was still on the fence about getting into it and he does preview every character fairly in-depth. He just doesn't offer what I would call expert advice.

How do you playtest each character? Do the kids help out?
#37Rossmacdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 12:58:31 PM
How do you playtest each character? Do the kids help out?

The first thing I do with any character I pick up is fully upgrade both paths. In SA, this was easy enough to do by playing Kaos's Lair twice through. In Giants it's even easier because of the treasure reset trick on the upper deck of Flynn's ship.

Once I fully upgrade the character, I playtest the paths in a chapter or two, and as many PvP matches as seems necessary to get a feel for the playstyle. If doing a direct comparison of paths for a character, I'll record damage on each move and check it's range, spammability, and charge time.

Surprisingly in most cases the path choice for a Skylander is pretty easy to pick based on this kind of test. For example, Stealth Elf has far more options on the Pook Blade Saint path compared to the Forest Ninja path. However, there are many Skylanders where it's a tough call. Double Trouble is a PVP machine on the Channeler path, but in the campaign the Conjuror path is much more beastly (especially in Giants!).

My kids help out a bit, and are more than happy to play for the sake of playing, but I do most of the initial analysis myself. I like putting my thoughts on GameFAQs because 99% of the feedback that comes up helps refine points I missed. :D
---
#38KFrosty3Posted 12/26/2012 8:16:44 AM
what is the other 1%?
---
I still think Pac-Man was the best game and had the best storyline... EVER!!! 'nuff said.
#39WildkatbPosted 12/29/2012 12:53:55 PM
TC: "I've been trying to get this topic stickied so it doesn't get archived, but I need more votes."

This does need stickied but, what do you mean by votes?

STICKY PLEASE! (is this a vote?)
---
3DS: 4511-1377-9331 WildKat
and 3DS XL: 0302-1145-6525 Kat
#40Rossmacdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 3:23:42 PM
Wildkatb posted...
TC: "I've been trying to get this topic stickied so it doesn't get archived, but I need more votes."

This does need stickied but, what do you mean by votes?

STICKY PLEASE! (is this a vote?)

If you click on message detail for the first post, you can select "Request Sticky" at the bottom of the list of options.
---