Best upgrades and strategy?

#1NeedIntelPosted 10/16/2011 10:22:37 PM
Since those upgrades can't be refunded, I'm interested in which ones the community thinks are most worthwhile?

I'm partial to upgrading Spike Traps (gains slowdown), Oil (slows down longer), Barricades (cheaper), Archers (I forget, probably cheaper), Swinging Mace (swings more).

I didn't upgrade wall blades because mostly it kills instantly already although I probably should for ogres. I wasted skulls on upgrading push traps (I never use them) and the grinder (not finding it to work very well).

I find I don't use the physics traps (push, spring, steam, etc) very much. Takes a substantial weaver investment to make them worth it for the ogres and a fair amount of coordination and timing for it to work as nicely as just the pure damage traps. I've also launched a few orcs into some instant death pit only they didn't die and wandered around in there wasting my precious time.

My consistent strategy is to barricade off whatever I can so that there is only one area to guard. Then find a narrow tunnel with a ceiling if possible and throw one barricade down in the center to send them hugging the walls. Slow em down with upgraded spikes as they're coming in and then oil right by your wall blades or grinder. Freeze as necessary using the secondary of the ice ring. Then just add archers (a paladin to defend them when the gnoll hunters come) and eventually a swinging ceiling mace. I'm 2 levels away from the end right now but it was a blast getting there.
#2genovaswitnessPosted 10/17/2011 2:06:35 AM
Here are a few things I've figured out:
A. The ice spell is your friend and can kill around 10 orcs with a full mana bar. It also kills fliers in 1 shot.
B. Mazing works ok but if there are the scuicide kobolds in the level its pretty much a waste of time.
C. The swinging mace is the shiittttt. On some levels you can put 2 or even 3 in a row. With tar underneath nothing gets through.
D. The magic weaver is really good. The added damage to your crossbow and the extra spell casting makes it super easy to deal with levels that have 2-3 openings. You can guard 1 yourself and use traps on the others.

Here's what I would do for upgrade orders having almost beaten the game on nightmare:
1.Tar
2. Barricades
3. Archers
4.Swinging Mace
5. Coin Forge
6. Wall Blades
7. Ballista

I like the physics traps on some levels but they do not work in some placements and can even end up pushing orcs much closer to the rift than away/death. The full upgrades on them makes dealing with ogres a nonissue though so when you can use them it is a huge help. It just depends on your play style.
#3MilenninPosted 10/18/2011 9:22:10 AM
There isn't really a "best" strategy. There's tons of different combinations you can use to beat a stage, and they'll all work as long as you plan them out well.
Upgrade the stuff you personally like to use a lot.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#4NeedIntel(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2011 11:50:34 AM
Milennin posted...
There isn't really a "best" strategy. There's tons of different combinations you can use to beat a stage, and they'll all work as long as you plan them out well.
Upgrade the stuff you personally like to use a lot.

Well I listed out what my strategy was so there are obviously some upgrades that work better with that playstyle than others. I also refuse to believe the game is perfectly balanced and that every trap or strategy is equally good. It's naive to believe that, things can be ranked and thus there is a "best".....and a worst.
#5lDrelocklPosted 10/20/2011 12:19:19 AM
Coin forge + upgraded decoy on top = ez mode

You'd make so much money that you can place so much traps, even nightmare mode is relatively easy. The only somewhat hard part is the 1st couples waves you'll have to manage to rely on relatively few traps and yourself to kill enough enemies on top of the coin forge.

The upgraded decoy is usually tough enough so that you can kill off the orcs with your traps or yourself before it even blows up. And by the time 1 blows up, you can put down 2 more with the money you're making.
#6MilenninPosted 10/21/2011 1:31:42 AM
NeedIntel posted...
Well I listed out what my strategy was so there are obviously some upgrades that work better with that playstyle than others. I also refuse to believe the game is perfectly balanced and that every trap or strategy is equally good. It's naive to believe that, things can be ranked and thus there is a "best".....and a worst.

That may be true, but... I've been making my own nightmare 5 skulls playthrough and then compare my playthrough with the videos that other players have made. Sometimes other people use completely different strategies than I do, and get through just as well as I do with my strategy. So while there may be a few "best" strategies, it still very much comes down to your own preferences and playing style.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#7adoom420Posted 10/22/2011 5:33:12 AM
I think if you build around whatever spell book you prefer and take advantage of the boosts to that play style you wont have any issues at all but this is the one I used for warmage mode.

1. Coin forges in the kill area
2. 2-3 knights to grab all agro as they come out and keep them bunched in the coin forge
3. Scatter archers behind them
4. Fire and ice for ogres depending on whats in that level but since they will bunch up fire is a must have. Ice is nice for fire ogres or if you have more then one at a time.
5. For spells I always try to max the one with the boosts to knights and archers and that side of the book first.
#8moleman124Posted 10/25/2011 2:09:12 AM
Hey Completed a 5 skull series on Nightmare, The only two traps i ever upgrades was the coinforge and the grinders. Purposely done that way to ensure if there is anyone out there trying to get the 5 skulls can do so even if they majorly picked the wrong traps to upgrade. Link to the first video in series, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpMvR8V1T8 All 24 levels are availiable on the channel

Cheers,
#9Skel1Posted 10/25/2011 4:20:52 PM
Magic is very powerful in this game. Either upgrading the magic tree in the elemental weaver or getting "linked traps" in knowledge weaver makes you godly. I've also found spiked walls are worth their weight in gold.
---
http://patrickavella.com/ <> I'm on the intertubes
http://twitter.com/patrickavella <> http://facebook.com/patrick.avella.blog
#10WesB83Posted 11/15/2011 6:35:41 AM
One thing I discovered last night was how awesome upgraded steam traps were when used with the lightning spell's secondary cast (the lightning cloud thing). If you have the upgraded physics upgrade, ogres will NEVER get past a series of steam traps. If you cast a lightning cloud over even the tougher ogres, they will die within seconds.

TLDR: Upgraded physics + upgraded steam traps + lightning cloud = hilarious