The final map suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

#1DiviDudePosted 12/24/2013 10:25:17 AM(edited)
I guess it's supposed to be epic or something, but it just drags on and on and on. Respawn wave after respawn wave gets old fast; doesn't help when you're at it for two damn hours. And the final boss was a pain in the ass as well.

And once again Serious Sam fails to live up to the fun that The First Encounter had. Know what made The First Encounter so great? Because it didn't do respawn wave after respawn wave of baddies. Rather, you'd turn the corner and there would be an entire stampede of baddies coming at you at once. That elicits a real "holy s***" response - that is epic - whereas wave after wave of moderate amount of baddies is just grating.

Meh.
#2ImarubePosted 12/28/2013 5:46:29 AM(edited)
I actually completely agree. When I played it the first time, it was so underwhelming. Compared to TFE and TSE, it just doesn't even come close. All this is is a silly little valley or whatever, with the same like three enemies over an over (something the whole game does wrong), and it ends with the worst final boss in the series. I never understood Croteam's vision for this game.

Instead of being fun, creative, atmospheric and challenging, it's just boring modern idioms shoved into one game. They tried, I understand, but wow did it not work at all, not to mention the horrible advertising the game got when it was supposed to come out 2 months before it really did, and when it did it wasn't advertised again so many people forgot about it.
---
Long Live MST3K
#3SahuaginPosted 1/2/2014 10:04:59 PM
just beat it for the first time, and damn it was awesome. I didn't think it dragged at all, at least for a Serious Sam game. It's not Serious Sam if I'm not saying "please stop spawning!" every now and then, especially near the end of the game. it's weakest points were being too short, and having a little too limited enemy variety.

Imarube posted...
with the same like three enemies over an over

there are at least 11 different enemies in the final area, though they generally came in waves of 1 or 2 kinds at a time. I don't know what else you'd expect from a SS game. if anything it needed more areas like the final area. Serious Sam is all about "OMG THERE'S EVEN MORE ENEMIES?!"
---
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/images/45/1839.jpg
http://projecteuler.net/profile/Sahuagin.png
#4ImarubePosted 1/4/2014 7:15:26 PM(edited)
Sahuagin posted...
though they generally came in waves of 1 or 2 kinds at a time

That was part of my problem. The other two are that most of the new enemies are either really small and annoying or average height and really annoying (or the Mancubus from Doom :p). The big one for me is that the most common enemy I remember from SS3 was a generic gun toting zombie...that constantly used cover...which completely destroys the purpose of a Serious Sam game (btw, reloading guns is pretty bad too. It only worked before because the pistols in TFE and TSE had infinite ammo)

SS3 seems to be a Frankenstein of what Croteam was doing with SS3, then mixing it with that super realistic military game they were working on that was cancelled. Ever since SS2, this series just keeps struggling, at least that's how I feel.
---
Long Live MST3K
#5SahuaginPosted 1/10/2014 1:33:54 AM
just beat it on serious, damn awesome. actually felt like the last level didn't last long enough this time. it was way more epic in scale the first time when I wasn't expecting it.

Imarube posted...
most of the new enemies are either really small and annoying or average height and really annoying

that's a good point and I hadn't thought of that. there are very few medium strength enemies. small scorpions and kleers are about it (maybe bulls too).

Imarube posted...
The big one for me is that the most common enemy I remember from SS3 was a generic gun toting zombie...that constantly used cover...

meh, they are extremely easy to deal with. just wait for their "I SEE YOU" snarl, find them, and then pop them 3x with pistol or assault rifle (or 1 SG at shortish range). there are very few places where they actually try to hide/cover, most of the time they just charge you if they see you. (keep in mind too that the pistol has near perfect aim when using ironsights. this is very useful in the first half of the game).

Imarube posted...
btw, reloading guns is pretty bad too

it can make it pretty tricky in some cases (mostly just using the devastator on dense kleer waves), but you just have to make sure to backpedal properly. most of the time, if you don't have time to reload, you shouldn't be using the pump shotgun or AR. the rocket launcher and minigun are for times when there's too many enemies that reloading becomes an issue.
---
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/2779329530_7b29b69912.jpg
http://projecteuler.net/profile/Sahuagin.png
#6thecrazyfrogPosted 1/19/2014 4:35:02 PM
Is it just my graphics card or does this level look like it has about 3 colours on the standard colour setting? I suffered my way though it until I turned colours up to vivid which actually looked pretty nice.
#7DiviDude(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 11:30:48 PM
It's not Serious Sam if I'm not saying "please stop spawning!" every now and then,

But The First Encounter has very little respawning at all, and it's mostly considered the best of the Serious Sam games. It's more about single massive hoards than endless respawning, which IMO is the more interesting and less fatiguing/repetitive way to go.
#8ThePyreThatBurnsPosted 2/19/2014 12:46:46 AM
As I posted two years ago:

------------------------------------------

On the last level, there are too many enemies. At first, it's fun but, between the 1:15 mark and 1:30 mark, I actually found myself saying "Can we get on with it?" That stage needed to be cut by a third.

------------------------------------------------
---
As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy-Abraham Lincoln
#9ImarubePosted 2/22/2014 9:15:44 PM
thecrazyfrog posted...
Is it just my graphics card or does this level look like it has about 3 colours on the standard colour setting? I suffered my way though it until I turned colours up to vivid which actually looked pretty nice.

ThePyreThatBurns posted...

On the last level, there are too many enemies. At first, it's fun but, between the 1:15 mark and 1:30 mark, I actually found myself saying "Can we get on with it?" That stage needed to be cut by a third.

Yeah, the last stage made my laptop crawl, and I had just gotten it a few months before SS3. I almost didn't even get to the final boss. Even then, I couldn't be bothered to try and figure out how to fight it since I just wanted to see the ending at that point.

Really was not a fun level, not to mention it was boring to look at, especially when compared to a giant pyramid, a humongous field leading up to an enormous Cathedral, and whatever the last level of SS2 was since I don't remember (I DO remember fighting a huge pyramid at the end, which was weird).
---
Long Live MST3K