The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

The music in this game is a putrid mess

#1soggytoast11Posted 5/20/2012 8:10:47 PM
I get what they were trying to do, but it doesn't sound like retro video game music. It sounds like something I banged out on my Casio Keyboard when I was 7 years old.
#2Gunvalkyrie2Posted 5/20/2012 8:19:40 PM
and yet here you are on a message board complaining and there they are making game music.. who would have guessed?
---
"LOLFAQs, where anyone who disagrees with you is a troll."
#3SniperNightOwlPosted 5/20/2012 9:04:00 PM
I agree, and it's a shame because this game is pretty awesome for the most part.

Songs arent bad per se, its just the instruments. Blech
---
Stating your opinion =/= Trolling. Deal with it.
#4Omega_BlackPosted 5/20/2012 10:25:28 PM
It's funny that people complain about the instruments, yet some of the samples this time around are clearly very close to sounding like what an actual Genesis YM2612 chip is capable of, if not straight up ripped from sound fonts.

Listen to some of the lead instruments and bass of Sky Fortress Act 1 and 2 and compare them to Flying Battery Zone.

The same goes for cutscenes, the Special Stage, as well as a handful of other zones.

This is one of the better examples:

S4E2 Title Screen as heard in the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rir8RZNeBs4

S4E1 Title Screen, fan remake using MIDI, "...in FL Studio 10 with VOPM, ProtoPSG, and various soundfonts and samples"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhzePYrX1yA

I won't deny that S4E2 can grate on the ears with its more obnoxious samples. However, I find it ironic that people demanded more "Genesis-sounding music" and less "dying cats", and when they got it, it's not appealing.

Maybe the low-fidelity avenue isn't the way to go. I'd certainly miss that snare, though.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#5pobattiPosted 5/20/2012 10:41:22 PM
The problem with this game is that it makes you think of Sonic CD and Sonic 2. Sonic CD had CD quality redbook audio and Sonic 2 has some of the most famous YM music on the Megadrive. That means that you don't get the familiar tracks, and what's there isn't even particularly high fidelity.

I think Sega might have opted for this type of music in order to keep an audio style link with Episode 1, a whole bunch of tracks from that episode even reappear in Episode 2 - the title screen theme, the map theme, the menu theme, the invincibility theme, the boss theme...

I don't think we'll get a drastic change from this style in any more Sonic 4's for this reason, though they'll probably dramatically change tone for other releases and Sonic 5 in the future.
#6Solid_SOAPPosted 5/20/2012 10:50:17 PM
"and yet here you are on a message board complaining and there they are making game music.. who would have guessed?"

People are allowed to have opinions that aren't simply gushing over a game that's relatively mediocre and short.

That said, I actually liked the music in Episode II, I don't get the complaints. The instruments sound exactly like they came from the SEGA Genesis to me (Particularly in the title screen, Special Stage, and many other songs), and the songs themselves are catchy and good. Not at the same standard as the classic songs from Genesis yore but still, not a bad soundtrack.
#7hogofddyn_Posted 5/21/2012 4:00:23 AM
I was unaware that music was susceptible to putrefaction.
#8soggytoast11(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2012 4:41:54 AM
SniperNightOwl posted...
Songs arent bad per se, its just the instruments. Blech

No, for me it's definitely both. I could live with the instruments if the soundtrack was actually catchy, but it's not. The instruments could have even been charming, but now they're just annoying.

Listening to the tracks I keep waiting for the hook to happen, and it never comes. It sounds like a child just going up and down the keyboard playing random notes.

Where do they get these composers from, the local community college?
#9tuznecotePosted 5/21/2012 5:24:40 AM
The tracks themselves have grown on me some of them are my favourite I have heard for some time but there is no getting round the fact that they all sound horrid.

Yes they sound mega drive "like" but not like a sonic game. They have the drum snare and fix a few sounds here and there but everything else sounds like an EA 1990s mega drive game as opposed to the clean, sharp and chunky Sonic style music.

Here is sky fortress in 16bit which is better (and I can't stop singing the enhance track now).

Sky fortress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX147jIWiIs&list=FLqHHr_aZKSPu9NA8Qxdl9hw&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Oil Desert Act2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgwizqc4Xg&list=UUfcmEEbStQpiCWPW84aGJhw&index=2&feature=plcp

Death Egg MkII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FizncZt3RgI&list=UUfcmEEbStQpiCWPW84aGJhw&index=4&feature=plcp

Those are more genesisy than the original but even then the tracks are wholly successful anyway. They are two short (even my favourites) and they are in place just bland. Half the tracks flipping sound like they belong on a option screen.
#10Gunvalkyrie2Posted 5/21/2012 5:26:57 AM
the music in this game is great.
---
"LOLFAQs, where anyone who disagrees with you is a troll."