Survival Tips and Strategies

#1rabidredneckPosted 12/18/2011 3:41:46 PM
Just what the title says, this thread will become a font of knowledge on survival mode. It can be a lot of fun when things go well, better when things get challenging but frustrating when it seems everything is going fubar.

Vital Tips:
Communication: Everyone should have a Microphone, communication is KEY. Not only in getting prepared on the McKinley, but on the battlefield as well. On the ship, everyone should get clear what emplacements they can provide, what weapons they're good at and try to complement each other. On the field, make sure everyone knows whats what. What enemies are where, if you need help suppressing a group of enemies or one of the big targets.

Emplacements: Whenever possible try to place your turrets on rocks or ledges where knobs can't get to them.

Always upgrade your emplacements, i've been in missions where folks went nuts putting down over a dozen sniper turrets but never upgrading them. A lot of wasted potential firepower, half that number but fully upgraded those would have been devestatingly useful.

Sniper Turrets: These are an absolute must. As stated above put them on rocks and in places with a good field of view. Put one near each ledge where tube snipers spawn can help whittle them down quickly before they can wreak too much havoc.

Mines: Second only to sniper turrets. If you can heavily mine each pathway and the bridge with full upgrade mines, it will really make things easier, especially in blitzer waves. I personally use Shock mines for the stun effect, I've had others swear by advanced mines for the pure power.

Machinegun Turrets and Shred turrets are a close third. Their main purpose is to thin out Knob swarms and help deal additional damage to enemies and flyer enemies. In my experience, Flak turrets aren't really worth it, MG turrets deal with the little fliers and you sniper turrets should be helping against the volt droppers.

Mortar Turrets: Snipers and mines will be your mainstays, but I have had success with well placed mortar turrets. Placed on strategic ledges with good fields of view they can really help thinning out large groups of enemies and maybe help deal with Jacobs. The coil mortars are pretty good with their death field ability.

Support Turrets: A repair crane is a necessity, as are disruptor towers. Well placed at chokepoints or on the edges of the bridge can help buy some badly needed time. Collection turrets are okay for not having to run around collecting scrap, but I would catagorize them as strictly optional.

Trenches: A good mix of Chassis is very important. You will want at least one engineering chassis for heavy snipers and mine laying, I've had good success in groups with 2 engineers. Assault Chassis are great for using the big guns, artillery and snipers with occasional uses of broadcasters. The standard Chassis is best used just for the mix of firepower it can provide, say a good grenade launcher and a couple machineguns/shotguns. For legs, I definitely recommend the sprint+ legs, even for assaults. You need to be mobile in survival, and they the best legs for that.

Thats all I can think of for now, go wild and post your tips!
---
Aww look, I see an itty-bitty turret! Boss, can I blow it up? Pretty please?
#2zahel_krestPosted 12/18/2011 9:24:52 PM
There's already a thread about survival loadouts. Check it out. Your tips are good, you should add them there.
#3rdprincePosted 12/21/2011 12:11:09 AM
zahel_krest posted...
There's already a thread about survival loadouts. Check it out. Your tips are good, you should add them there.

Where is it at? The topics flood in so fast that I think I missed it.
---
I have a new sig! This isn't it.
#4zahel_krestPosted 12/21/2011 9:32:45 PM
It's called "Survival Loadouts".
#5rdprincePosted 12/22/2011 7:57:04 PM
zahel_krest posted...
It's called "Survival Loadouts".

I looked through the topic list, but it's so crowded that I couldn't find it. Maybe you need to bump it.
---
I have a new sig! This isn't it.
#6SpazH3dPosted 12/27/2011 4:20:07 AM
^ Search for it. If you dunno how to, then switch to gamefaqs today!

Also, what are the chances of good communication with random people? I have played 10-15 matches, and they only thing I heard were some guy yelling in the background, and another coughed every 3 mins. Blimey.
---
- My vision is augmented
#7ChewisbeastPosted 12/27/2011 10:13:45 PM
its literally the third topic, you dont even need to go off the first page....
---
2012- Browns 16-0
Gt- Chewmannfoo
#8AcelPosted 12/28/2011 11:13:13 PM
I prefer this thread over the other one.

@zahel_krest: I stopped reading your other post the moment you said advanced mine layer is better than shock.
---
GT: The Real Acel
#9zahel_krestPosted 12/31/2011 7:59:00 AM
Acel posted...
I prefer this thread over the other one.

@zahel_krest: I stopped reading your other post the moment you said advanced mine layer is better than shock.
---
GT: The Real Acel

It's just my opinion not a fact. Some prefer the shock mines, i like the advanced mines for the massive damage.