User-Unfriendly Game

#1raydowner_ukPosted 12/23/2012 2:08:44 PM
This game is ridiculous. I excelled at chemistry and studied it at degree level and I'm stuck on the second tutorial level...... the one with the hydrogen molecule.

What are you meant to do?
#2raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 2:39:27 PM
30 minutes later and still no idea.... tried every combination there is. Looked on YouTube and can't find a solution

This has got to be one of the worst designed games I've ever seen. A game so poorly designed that it doesn't even want you to know how to play it.

Shame because the concept is intriguing.
#3raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 2:46:07 PM
Lmao worked it out..... how utterly stupid this is.

..... now the next level doesn't even tell me what it wants me to make... the one with Platinum, Gold etc..

I swear this is the worst tutorial I've ever seen..

The worst advertisement for a game ever.
#4AzumininjaPosted 12/24/2012 10:08:07 AM
The learning curve is indeed a bit steep, but I really like this game. One of the best puzzlers I have played in a long time.

I am at the end of world 4 and I am completely stuck at the moment, though I have to confess I had to check YouTube for a few levels.
---
"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over: an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."
#5raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2012 1:14:02 PM
I managed to work out the one with Gold and platinum (i.e I actually now understand the output zones, the input zones and the general rules the game works by). Since then I have done another level or two and it's starting to click. This is largely because I understand the programming tools I've got to work with and the way the game works and it's interface.

I still maintain that the tutorial is poor. Sometimes it is adequate but other times it's not. I was patient and stuck with it because I saw the potential in this game (I suspect that many others would dismiss it instantly). It's not a lot of fun trying to solve a puzzle when you don't know the rules to play by.

I've got background in Chemistry (not that it matters much here) and understand mathematical programming and algorithms but I imagine it must be massively difficult to understand if you are staring from no experience in it at all.
#6AzumininjaPosted 12/25/2012 1:45:26 AM
raydowner_uk posted...
I still maintain that the tutorial is poor.

Definitely, I had to learn a few thing by looking at solutions on YouTube (which I try to keep at a minimum).

But I am glad I stuck with it. It is hard as balls and I am not even halfway. I do wish my solutions were not so ugly though.
---
"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over: an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."
#7derp420Posted 1/12/2013 4:53:20 PM
If you look at the flash games the same developer made you'll notice the same thing. The learning curve is practically vertical, but once you understand it you feel like a genius every time you get through a level.
---
www.cracked.com/phpimages/photoshop/1/8/3/3183_slide.gif
http://i.imgur.com/NlUVU.gif