Such failure... Buyer Beware

#1Mocking CrowPosted 4/29/2012 12:09:51 AM
GFWL... what POS. Getting a roundabout "Update," asking me to close the game after updating with no means to actually close it without ending the task, and after doing so and restarting comp, it tells me it needs to update still with the some "close the game" message. I cant uninstall the stupid program and fresh install it from Msoft either because it runs into an error when uninstalling. GFWL slogan should be "justifying piracy since 2007," which is the same slogan ubisoft uses.

I just reformatted my computer a week ago too, so this game is the first GFWL installed.

I heard steam offers a 1 time refund, but it would be stupid to waste it on a $7.50 game. What a cheap ****ing scheme they run.

Also read on a site that the game doesnt support 1600x900 resolution... LOL?
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#2MashYouGoodPosted 4/29/2012 7:43:23 AM
Didn't get this problem - installed, signed in and played. Dunno...

But then again, I don't play online, and never have with GFWL... so, maybe that's it.
#3AntshPosted 4/30/2012 1:54:01 AM
I had similar issues as OP. Also kept getting a failed update error that took forever to figure out. Eventually found that I had to reset winsock.
---
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro | Intel Core i5-760 | Radeon HD 5850 | 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
#4MashYouGoodPosted 5/1/2012 7:58:12 AM
The GFWL thing is a 'failure', as it turns out, given the game's multiplayer was stripped.

The bigger fail is, even split-screen was chopped!

Half-assed ports FTF >_>
#5Mocking Crow(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 12:00:43 PM
Ive uninstalled the game 4 times now, and uninstalled GFWL finally and I still run into the problem of GFWL wanting to update, but not letting me close the game to update it, because the GFWL interface auto pops up the second I close it, and theres no option to close the game on its interface obviously, nor Steams Shift+tab interface.

Thats the whole problem, GFWL wont let me close my game to install the ****ing update.
---
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
#6MashYouGoodPosted 5/1/2012 6:24:43 PM(edited)
^ Maybe try Ctrl+Alt+Delete-ing to task manager (or using Process Explorer, if you have it) to shut the GFWL individually... dunno.

The irony is, all these sub-programs they lace games with, often to try deter / prevent piracy, actually goads people into acquiring the games through such dubious means.

Example:
Bought Dungeon Defenders on Steam. But as having to launch Steam every time I wanted to play the game was an unnecessary annoyance (with its auto-updating and eagerness to connect online), I found the a p2p version and use that instead.

I will always stand by the assertion that if you make a game good enough, people will not pirate it and it will sell sufficiently. It's only shovelware that needs the 'protection' of DRM, because smart people don't pay for rubbish.