First Strike > Death Touch???

#1joebainbridgePosted 7/17/2011 4:43:50 AM
Ok, i am fairly new to playing MTG and i was playing with my cousin over XBL in a THG match, i blocked one of my enemies monsters with flying, first strike and vigilance with my flying death touch and my card was just put straight into the graveyard; no card effects were activated ( no manna was tapped ) so does if an enemy has first strike and has enough attack to kill my death touch creature will it still live or is it a glitch?
---
Hallo an alle, mein Name ist Joe und ich spielen Videospiele
#2kodama42Posted 7/17/2011 5:29:24 AM
A creature with first strike deals its damage before the other.
To make death touch work, the creature has to deal damage.
The first strike creature killed the death touch one before it could deal its damage.
#3kodama42Posted 7/17/2011 5:30:35 AM
Also, if the power of the creature with death touch is reduced to 0, the touched creature won't be destroyed because it didn't receive any damage.
#4joebainbridge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2011 5:51:09 AM
ok thanks, you it's getting to know all these little loopholes that is the difficult part
---
Hallo an alle, mein Name ist Joe und ich spielen Videospiele
#5TyrannicalPosted 7/17/2011 7:14:09 AM
Death touch has to deal damage to work. If you could somehow put death touch on a creature that had tap: do 1 point of damage to target creature or player that would also work to kill them.

Some creatures have destroy any creature that blocks or is blocked by at end of combat, first strike would not save them. The lethal death effect is triggered when the block is announced and kills the creature at the end of combat. You can not stop the effect, but you can make the creature an invalid target causing the effect to fizzle by bouncing it to your hand or something.
---
Australian customs: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: I didn't think you needed one anymore.
#6m_robbinsPosted 7/17/2011 10:18:44 AM
Tyrannical posted...
Some creatures have destroy any creature that blocks or is blocked by at end of combat, first strike would not save them. The lethal death effect is triggered when the block is announced and kills the creature at the end of combat. You can not stop the effect, but you can make the creature an invalid target causing the effect to fizzle by bouncing it to your hand or something.

Slagwurm ftw.