Is this game pay to win or just free to play

#1beatlessbobbyPosted 4/1/2012 8:03:36 AM
in other words , how many advantages do paying people receive
---
If you believe that Jesus Christ was a zombie magician and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2SkauldPosted 4/1/2012 9:53:18 AM
People who pay will get access to exp boosts (doubled exp for a period of time) gold for unlocking stuff and sometimes exclusive weapons. As of yet, the only things I know for fact that payers get are alternative skins and some weapons, eg the infiltrator knives and jackal. There is however, a use for every weapon and I doubt Hi Rez will sell an OP weapon and not make it unlockable.

Also, Payers will be able to unlock stuff earlier if that's what they choose to purchase. For the most part, people won't have a huge advantage by simply paying
#3tiomastaPosted 4/1/2012 11:06:17 AM
Just F2P. You can use money to get stuff, but you won't get anything that everyone else can't, you'll just unlock stuff quicker.

Every single thing in the game can be bought with the money you get for playing the game, aside from skins which don't affect gameplay. Real money just unlocks equipment and perks quicker, and can also buy limited-time exp boosters. Also, if anyone buys money even once, then they get VIP which gets them a permanent 50% bonus to the in-game money they get.

Getting the in-game money otherwise to unlock the big stuff is grindy, but not way too grindy.

There's no exclusive weapons, all of them can be bought with in-game money too.
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
"I hate when someone quotes himself in his sig." -Me
#4MagicianTrixiePosted 4/1/2012 1:49:48 PM
It's not P2W, but it's pretty grindy if you don't pay. Personally I haven't paid anything, but I could see how it might frustrate people.
---
http://oi39.tinypic.com/r2n51k.jpg
#5EatShannaPosted 4/1/2012 3:48:30 PM
Honestly ever since they add all those nifty badges, I've been making a lot more XP per game.

Took me 3 days to go from 1000XP to 42,000, and 4 hours of gameplay to go from 200XP to over 12,000.

I just finished a match with 2180XP because I got X amount of kills with a belt item, and X amount of assists.
#6JonWood007Posted 4/1/2012 4:21:15 PM
I wouldnt call it pay 2 win, but it's a free to play with a cash shop. The cash shop does sell advantages, but they are not so massive a free player cannot overcome them.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#7MaledricPosted 4/1/2012 10:30:26 PM
If you enjoy the game I would suggest at least buying one of the lower end gold packs. The exp bonus is nice and it gives the developers some return. My suggestion would be to save gold for weapon unlocks they are by far the most expensive in the game.
#8VeiledGenesisPosted 4/2/2012 9:15:17 AM
People that refuse to support developers of games they play piss me off. $10 isn't that god damn much, and you get VIP status for lifetime of your account.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#9OUberLordPosted 4/18/2012 9:10:52 PM
That, and all of the upgrades require straight exp anyway; you only use gold for unlocks.
#10DartkunPosted 4/19/2012 9:36:02 AM
It's not P2W. There are slight advantages, but they aren't that big. (Except specific conditions, Max Safety Third + Mines is ridiculous)
---
Resident LoL Board Katarina Player
If I ever help you and you want to thank me -- http://bit.ly/HLKSMs -- Sign up for Tribes Ascend