Preferred Classes?

#1whatafooliamPosted 4/1/2012 8:25:19 PM
I have been hearing that there are some classes that are "worthless". Can somebody shed some light on whether or not some of the classes just aren't "as good" as other ones?

Yes I realize that all classes have a role. . . But like, is there any real reason to play Raider over Brute, etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
#2MaledricPosted 4/1/2012 10:34:33 PM
Depends really on what mode you play. Doombringer isn't going to be worth much in team death match along with technicians, but one or 2 of them can be very beneficial for capture the flag. I would suggest working on soldier and pathfinder a bit at first since those roles will always be needed for chasing and capping. If you focus on one of the niche classes like infiltrators you may run into viability issues when there are already a couple on the map.
#3Ikpa_VatryxPosted 4/2/2012 1:13:13 PM
Pathfinder is always useful.
Infiltrator has a niche role, so you don't need to have a ton of them.
Sentinel is, depending on his skill, either completely useless or hilariously overpowered.
Soldier is usually a good choice, especially if you don't want to specialize.
Raider is a great counter for Infiltrators and a good choice if you want to destroy enemy structures.
Juggernaut is a bit weak, but a skilled player can still be very effective.
Doombringer's only uses are sitting on the flag and chaingunning any would-be cappers or trolling Shrikes.
Brutes are nothing more than barely mobile Fractal dispensers.
---
Knowledge is power.
#4whatafooliam(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 3:09:11 PM
Thanks for the input!

Question on doombringers -

Do they even defend well? After I hit level 5, people range disarm my mines and make sitting anywhere near the flag treacherous. It seems that in the new bracket, everything I learned in my noob levels became so easy to counter that I feel less viable.
#5AntiHero832Posted 4/2/2012 3:50:20 PM
Doombringers are the best flag defense in the game. Your not going to prevent every capper from taking the flag, but thats where the chasers come into play. Don't lay mines on top of each other, and never put them on the flag itself. Learn the routes that players will take while coming in to grab. You're allowed 3 mines on the ground at a time and usually setting them up in a pyramid shape around the flag (far enough a part so they don't detonate each other when destroyed) is the best way to go. The chain gun itself is a pretty horrendous gun, once you can get the heavy bolt launcher things will become more easier. Super heavy is a perk thats pretty much required as a heavy defending, but it doesn't mean sit your ass down on top of the flag. A simple spin/bolt explosion will blow you off of it. Look around, and catch people coming in for the grab. Shot the flag just as there about to grab it. Maybe you won't kill them, but taking 3/4th's of there life away will make it easier for those who chase.
---
How does Vader go to the bathroom? He doesn't, he's Darth Vader. The bathroom goes to him ~ DarkJoker III
#6bart27Posted 4/8/2012 11:01:08 PM

Doombringers are the best flag defense in the game. Your not going to prevent every capper from taking the flag, but thats where the chasers come into play. Don't lay mines on top of each other, and never put them on the flag itself. Learn the routes that players will take while coming in to grab. You're allowed 3 mines on the ground at a time and usually setting them up in a pyramid shape around the flag (far enough a part so they don't detonate each other when destroyed) is the best way to go. The chain gun itself is a pretty horrendous gun

Stopped reading right there. If you recommended the bolt launcher over the chain gun you are a terrible doombringer who can't defend anything.
---
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Memento Mori
#7perhapsmaybePosted 4/11/2012 4:37:32 AM
The Chaingun has got to be the most annoying automatic weapon in the game... pass by a doombringer and the next thing you hear is TATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA with a billion bullets following afterwards.
---
Playing- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, StarCraft II, Tribes: Ascend Open Beta, Diablo II, Warcraft III
#8mmSNAKEPosted 4/12/2012 1:56:46 AM
Juggernaut is a bit weak, but a skilled player can still be very effective.

Weak? Heavy class with better health regen and a gun that can one shot light and medium classes and a damn spinfusor for a secondary, and then there's the AP nades.

The learning curve on this class is how to use the mortar properly. After that you just find the appropriate role in a CTF match and it's set.

Brutes are nothing more than barely mobile Fractal dispensers.

No those are bad brutes. A brute can destroy a gen and kill you at the same time. Fractal nades shred generators and your shield pack plus the heavy spinfusor will kick the crap out of anything indoors besides good raiders. Put on survivalist perk and you will be one annoying pain in the ass to get rid of. Outside all you need is one solid spinfusor hit on light classes, 2 on medium, then whip out the nova colt and laugh when you pick them off mid air. On defense brutes are some of the best support classes to have to support your doombringer/technician/jug. Not only can they deny a good amount of area allowing your other teammates to pick them off but they can take the punishment letting your teammates to deal with them easily.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#9Ikpa_VatryxPosted 4/12/2012 2:26:39 PM
mmSNAKE posted...
Weak? Heavy class with better health regen and a gun that can one shot light and medium classes and a damn spinfusor for a secondary, and then there's the AP nades.

All heavies get slaughtered by automatics. They can't really dodge SMG/AR/Pistol/Shotgun spam. In addition, Arx Buster and both Bolt Launchers have more range than the Mortar.

No those are bad brutes. A brute can destroy a gen and kill you at the same time. Fractal nades shred generators...

Fractals can't damage buildings anymore.

Outside all you need is one solid spinfusor hit on light classes, 2 on medium, then whip out the nova colt and laugh when you pick them off mid air.

Soldier can do the same, and he has far better mobility.
---
Knowledge is power.
#10jolly_picklesPosted 4/12/2012 4:27:53 PM
Ikpa_Vatryx posted...
All heavies get slaughtered by automatics. They can't really dodge SMG/AR/Pistol/Shotgun spam. In addition, Arx Buster and both Bolt Launchers have more range than the Mortar.

The splash radius of a mortar is amazing though. 2 well placed mortars can destroy the HoF and the immediate defenses on the flag stand. Although it is one of those classes that contradicts itself; it's greatly effective outdoors in indirect combat but needs to remain mobile to avoid a lot of attention, but movement is not a strong suit of the class.

As for my favourite class in the game, i've mixed up my tech to suit a few more roles. Rather than the typical gen camping tech I play more of a soldier/tech/chaser hybrid.
Thumper + egocentric to get some decent speed against slower flag cappers, sawed off shotgun for heavy killing and general above ground killing power, TCNG for indoor killing power and either close combat or ultra capacitor depending on how many derpy heavies there are just standing around not doing much.

It's a very, very niche role and often times useless, but damn is it fun when it works. Not to mention the added utility of more turrets at the base, or a cheeky one dropped at the enemy base somewhere. It does rely a fair bit on good generator and base defense from my team though.

As for a typical preferred class, I that would be my pathfinder. I guess i'm just a sucker for shotguns. It all depends on the map though; the only role I don't like doing is doombringer HoF. I'm not opposed to it though, it's just I don't like using the chaingun, the bolt launcher is terrible, the saber is annoying and I feel like a derpbringer using any of the weapons.
---
See quote for information about quotes.