This game is totally Pay2win

#1markleyePosted 5/1/2012 7:25:21 PM
So I'm level 12 now and after trying out the game for quite a while I come to the conclusion that the game is Pay2win despite what Hirez says. Just looking at the starting primary weapons for the Tech or Infiltrator classes vs their upgraded weapons. Both are SMGs and can't do any damage to base structures (except the generator). And they do very low dps.

Then the Tech can buy a crazy AOE shotgun that 1-2 hit kills anything that's not heavy (I've been out of line of sight and still got hit by it, it's like an explosion). And the Infiltrator can buy this sticky grenade gun that can kill mostly anything instantly if all 3 hit the target.

Both weapons (and almost all of them for that matter) cost 1 million XP! Even with VIP and Booster active that will still take a good couple weeks to unlock (Just 1 gun out of many). Or Pay2win and own everyone now. I would considering buying a gold package but the prices on these weapons are just stupid high (I believe you would need to drop a good $100 to unlock most of it and you would still not have it all unlocked).
---
Goldeneye FC 1556 4183 1389
#2tiomastaPosted 5/1/2012 8:31:27 PM
It's not 1 million, it's 100.000. Very high but not completely unachievable. They used to be 170.000.

Infiltrator is the only class which needs you to buy a 100.000 primary. Though you can just upgrade the sticky grenades and go from there anyway. Tech's thumper is really good, but not outright a straight upgrade in all situations.
But regardless they aren't flat out OP guns that would instantly kill anyone that had ever logged in the server, they're just better than the default of that class. Just play another class until you unlock that gun if you prefer.

And just go to target practice and use the weapons yourself to get to know them before complaining about them.
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
"I hate when someone quotes himself in his sig." -Me
#3DartkunPosted 5/1/2012 9:27:44 PM
So I'm level 12 now

Nice to know, I'm rank 24

and after trying out the game for quite a while I come to the conclusion that the game is Pay2win despite what Hirez says. Just looking at the starting primary weapons for the Tech or Infiltrator classes vs their upgraded weapons. Both are SMGs and can't do any damage to base structures (except the generator). And they do very low dps.

You know what, I agree with the Technician. Thumper is a very good weapon.

And while the Jackal is good, you're absolutely discounting the SMGs for what they do.

It would be like saying that comparing the Auto-Shotty and the Sabre Launcher.

First off, why are your trying to destroy base structures with a Technician?

Secondly, you are given well enough tools to destroy structures with the Sticky Grenades.

Third, SMGs are amazing and give you unrivaled damage at range.

Then the Tech can buy a crazy AOE shotgun that 1-2 hit kills anything that's not heavy (I've been out of line of sight and still got hit by it, it's like an explosion).

Sawed off Shot gun only deals at a max 640 damage. Light Armor with no upgrades has 800 HP minimum. Remember this is assuming that all 8 pellets hit you. Personally, Thumper / Repair Tool is better than Shotgun anyways.

And the Infiltrator can buy this sticky grenade gun that can kill mostly anything instantly if all 3 hit the target.

Jackal can't 1 shot anyone.

Both weapons (and almost all of them for that matter) cost 1 million XP! Even with VIP and Booster active that will still take a good couple weeks to unlock (Just 1 gun out of many).

100,000 for Jackal
100,000 for Thumper
42,000 for Shotgun

I have VIP and Booster Active. On an average CTF game, I earn about 2,500. Each CTF game lasts about 20 minutes. That's about 13 hours of playing, and remember this is not including any Accolade's which give bonus XP.

A 20 minute game gives 700 XP
Winning gives you an additional 175 XP + 175 XP / Scoreboard. (Let's assume 10th place and we won). So 192.5 XP
VIP gives me an additional 446 XP
And Boost gives me an additonal 1339 XP

2,678 XP for that game

Or Pay2win and own everyone now. I would considering buying a gold package but the prices on these weapons are just stupid high (I believe you would need to drop a good $100 to unlock most of it and you would still not have it all unlocked).

Why would you even need every weapon?

I main Doombringer, as soon as I got my mines, my weapon upgrades, and my force field upgrades. I was set, I didn't need anything else, but I started to get bored of the role. So I switched and started playing Brute. I had about 120,000 XP stored up by playing Doombringer and I went and bought everything I needed for Brute.

tl;dr. No, the game is as balanced as a F2P game gets. Aside from the stupidly overpowered Plasma Gun.
---
Resident LoL Board Katarina Player
If I ever help you and you want to thank me -- http://bit.ly/HLKSMs -- Sign up for Tribes Ascend
#4perhapsmaybePosted 5/1/2012 10:37:08 PM
markleye posted...
So I'm level 12 now and after trying out the game for quite a while I come to the conclusion that the game is Pay2win despite what Hirez says. Just looking at the starting primary weapons for the Tech or Infiltrator classes vs their upgraded weapons. Both are SMGs and can't do any damage to base structures (except the generator). And they do very low dps.

Then the Tech can buy a crazy AOE shotgun that 1-2 hit kills anything that's not heavy (I've been out of line of sight and still got hit by it, it's like an explosion). And the Infiltrator can buy this sticky grenade gun that can kill mostly anything instantly if all 3 hit the target.

Both weapons (and almost all of them for that matter) cost 1 million XP! Even with VIP and Booster active that will still take a good couple weeks to unlock (Just 1 gun out of many). Or Pay2win and own everyone now. I would considering buying a gold package but the prices on these weapons are just stupid high (I believe you would need to drop a good $100 to unlock most of it and you would still not have it all unlocked).

A bolt launcher isn't much better than a light spinfusor.
---
Playing- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, StarCraft II, Tribes: Ascend, Diablo II, Warcraft III
#5EvilLink-XIIIPosted 5/1/2012 11:40:00 PM
Inf/Tech SMG makes heavies cry
Upgrade cloak on Inf and harass heavies on flag. at 75 dmg per shot you can kill one with just one mag. It shoots extremely fast. Also toss a sticky before you start blasting away with the SMG.

As for Tech try to place turret where you think a capper is gonna fly by. Most of the time they are hurt a few turret shots will kill them. If not, learn to track as they fly by. <_<
---
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee282/xool-overlord/Evillinks.png http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee282/xool-overlord/Evillinks-1.png
Thanks Xool :D
#6Hugh ManateePosted 5/1/2012 11:55:28 PM
It's kind of refreshing to see a guy complain about P2W but not mention the raider or thrust pack, and only mention the jackal in passing...

after this paragraph I stopped reading and chuckled... The TCN's sub machine gun is vicious, un-upgraded 28*80= dead heavies in about 3-6 seconds, less if you hit em with your belt item or light turret first. The Rhino is similar, 36*75= dead stuff, and the silenced pistol is also mean, 1 shot+a slash will kill a light turret, and for larger targets, you have the stickies that hit base stuff far harder then the jackal. The only way a SMG does "very low dps" is if you suck... How do you get to level 12 and not realize this or learn to shoot straight.... and how do you miss the cost of the guns... and why are you trying to take out base structures with a machine gun....

I think we are either being trolled or the TC needs to go get some ritalin for a possible dyslexia problem...
---
______________________OMNISLASHES next user!!!
\________________o_o__|====<(`..*)>
#7alpo706Posted 5/2/2012 9:41:07 AM
Just FYI, the SMGs are considered REALLY good at high level play.

It's just that beginners are bad at using them. Your complaint is based on ignorance.
---
The game you should be playing:
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=2020914
#8BigJuicyOrangePosted 5/2/2012 11:42:28 AM
To be fair, it really is challenging to hit your targets with the SMG in many situations. Or maybe it's just me. Am I the only one who can blow an entire clip of 36 SMG shots and only land about 3 bullets? Mostly outdoors, indoors my aim with automatics is a little better. On paper, yes, the Infiltrator's Rhino SMG does 36*75 damage and the Technician's Sub-machine gun does 28*80 damage. However, I seldom encounter a player who can hit on even 50% of their shots 1v1 in the gen room, let alone skiing through the mountains.

The fact is that this game has a very sharp learning curve when it comes to aiming these weapons. The most common 1v1 battle I see in TA is 2 individuals outdoors firing explosive weapons when their opponent lands. I use explosive weapons almost exclusively, mainly cause I can't hit the broad side of a barn with automatic weapons in this game. Now, that might be because I'm exceptionally bad with automatics, but I have decent aim with explosive weapons for when players run out of energy or just choose to ski.
#9DartkunPosted 5/2/2012 3:13:56 PM
BigJuicyOrange posted...
To be fair, it really is challenging to hit your targets with the SMG in many situations. Or maybe it's just me. Am I the only one who can blow an entire clip of 36 SMG shots and only land about 3 bullets? Mostly outdoors, indoors my aim with automatics is a little better. On paper, yes, the Infiltrator's Rhino SMG does 36*75 damage and the Technician's Sub-machine gun does 28*80 damage. However, I seldom encounter a player who can hit on even 50% of their shots 1v1 in the gen room, let alone skiing through the mountains.

The fact is that this game has a very sharp learning curve when it comes to aiming these weapons. The most common 1v1 battle I see in TA is 2 individuals outdoors firing explosive weapons when their opponent lands. I use explosive weapons almost exclusively, mainly cause I can't hit the broad side of a barn with automatic weapons in this game. Now, that might be because I'm exceptionally bad with automatics, but I have decent aim with explosive weapons for when players run out of energy or just choose to ski.

Out of all of the weapons, after hitscan, the auto guns are next. SMG take a bit of training to use, but all weapons do to use effectively.

The fact that people can judge a game based on very low level play is just wrong. Go into pratice mode and learn how to lead shots, it's like skiing, you need to practice to do it well.
---
Resident LoL Board Katarina Player
If I ever help you and you want to thank me -- http://bit.ly/HLKSMs -- Sign up for Tribes Ascend
#10YewolifePosted 5/3/2012 1:32:33 PM
Regardless of how much you need to pay, I think the game is pay2win with just the vip exp system. Not to say its unfair or anything, since honestly speaking 10$ for 50% perma boost seems like a fair trade to me.

Its just hard to compete in multiple classes roles without that extra boost in exp.