Class for a new player?

#1DinglesteedPosted 7/23/2012 8:30:25 AM
Bought the Steam Starter Pack and unlocked the Raider class (thought he looked awesome) and like him quite a bit. I am pretty awful at hitting the sticky grenades though :(

I was kind of curious as to how the Doombringer is? Is it a good class for a new player or should I stick with a basic soldier or whatever?

Any answers are welcome as long as they are helpful! Thanks
---
Playing: Flight Sim X, Civ 5, NHL 12, Magicka, Fallout series
#2Anubis_DracPosted 7/23/2012 10:04:45 AM(edited)
Answer kinda depends on what you're looking for. Since this is a class-based team-oriented game, the general idea is to learn a few classes that best suit your playing style and match the role you want to play in the team. I would caution against thinking in terms of what class is easiest/best for a new player since it depends quite a bit on the player, and the standard for self-assessment in this game can vary quite a lot depending on who you ask (e.g. a lot of people are content to simply take their performance against the 'average' player and/or their kill count as a sign of how good they are with no regard to their actual contribution to the team or performance with respect to their class; I say the latter qualities are more important).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/624324-tribes-ascend/63333704
^Might give you some idea of what class best suits you, so to speak.

I was kind of curious as to how the Doombringer is? Is it a good class for a new player or should I stick with a basic soldier or whatever?

Doombringer's alright. All 3 of the heavy classes are pretty gratifying at lower levels before your opponents have enough experience to deal with them or dish out their own damage efficiently. The chaingun is wicked at pretty much any level unless you have awful ping. The Saber Launcher is a terrible weapon imo, but it has certified noobslayer status and it tends to wreck low-level/careless players, and it might actually be useful for taking down vehicles in the early game.

People typically recommend the Pathfinder as the 'starting' class since it seems like the logical choice to learn the basics of skiing, and your primary is a Spinfusor type, which is pretty much the bread-and-butter projectile of the game, so it doesn't hurt to be familiar with that.

Soldier's good as a general all-rounder/combat class.

Juggernaut is kind of tricky. As a heavy class it'll teach you to manage your energy better, but in my experience and observation, the Juggernaut is that class that seems to be easy/powerful, but actually comes with a pretty significant learning curve when your goal is to make a solid contribution to your team and perform well as a JUG [protip: quality of kills > quantity of kills]. Be wary of setting your standards too low when you use it. That aside, I still think JUG is about the most balanced/stable class in the game.

Happy to answer other questions if you give a bit more detail on what you might be interested in.

Otherwise, you might play around in target practice and experiment with using the stuff you haven't unlocked yet.
#3mmSNAKEPosted 7/23/2012 10:46:17 AM
[protip: quality of kills > quantity of kills].

I wish most people would adhere to this. Chance of killing the capper or killing a bunch of idiots buzzing around midfield. A guy who shoots down a runner 7-8 times stopping him from capping is more valuable than a dude dropping 30 random idiots who keep running to their death. Yet somehow people still forget that the game is capture the flag.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#4Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 12:04:20 PM
mmSNAKE posted...

I wish most people would adhere to this. Chance of killing the capper or killing a bunch of idiots buzzing around midfield. A guy who shoots down a runner 7-8 times stopping him from capping is more valuable than a dude dropping 30 random idiots who keep running to their death. Yet somehow people still forget that the game is capture the flag.

Yeah I try not to be fighting pointless enemies (in the middle of nowhere, etc.).

I had a match last night where I returned 4 flags and capped one as an Infiltrator lol. If there are any similarities, in BF3 I played an Engineer and Support. I liked destroying vehicles and then I liked laying down a constant stream of lead down the roads and alleys as support.

I also like playing a sniper type, though those types are always in abundance in every FPS ever made so I try to not play those as much.
---
Playing: Flight Sim X, Civ 5, NHL 12, Magicka, Fallout series
#5eharper256Posted 7/23/2012 1:52:51 PM
mmSNAKE posted...

Amen to that. I got rather angry earlier, was playing Heavy on Flag and then found I'm the only person actually defending... and the rest of the team is just skiing around like idiots on the midfield. Naturally, it was 5-0 landslide to the opposition, since theres no way I could hold off 5 determined enemies singlehandedly (well, not at my moderate skill level anyway).
---
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the **** has my script?"
#6DragethPosted 7/23/2012 3:51:54 PM
I would stay away from doombringer until you have a decent understanding of the game. DMB is one of those classes where people will see one on the team already and won't pick it, and if you are the team's Heavy of Flag(HoF) and are terrible at it, you will get frustrated.

My advise would be to try a bunch of classes, make them your unlock before you start saving for weapons and perks. As mentioned above, the Pathfinder is really the only class that has roles on both offense and defense and is the true jack of all trades(but master of capping and chasing). Soldier which is listed in game is a well balanced class but is very much suited for defense. Basically it breaks down like this

Pathfinder: Anything other than HoF
Infil: Offense
Sentinel: Defense
Soldier: Defense/Hof
Tech: Defense
Raider: Offense
Brute: Offense
Doombringer: HoF
Juggernaut: Offense

Now of course the above is really just anticipated class roles, if you so desired you could be an offensive doombringer for example.

So try different things and figure out the role you like, then play the classes that fit that role.
---
Honest is easy fiction's where genius lies.
#7eharper256Posted 7/24/2012 2:12:15 AM
Drageth posted...
I would stay away from doombringer until you have a decent understanding of the game. DMB is one of those classes where people will see one on the team already and won't pick it, and if you are the team's Heavy of Flag(HoF) and are terrible at it, you will get frustrated.

Hmm, is that meant to apply to me? I wouldn't say I'm terrible at it and most of the time I love playing it... last night for example I had 12 kills and 10 awards of Flag Defender along with an Explosive Spree with the Saber Launcher of all things. It's just when the rest of the team is doing NOTHING and a trio of raiders/brutes take me out continually like in the above example... allowing their pair of competent PF's to continually leap in and cap whilst I'm respawning or whatnot.

Although, I think I actually have new respect for the Saber Launcher now... not neccessarily for its AA (though thats funny; I was forcing the enemy cappers to stay close to the ground in that Explosive Spree match, allowing the rest of the team to chase easier), but actually for its ability to ID incoming targets before I neccessarily eye-spot them. If I sweep and I beep, I stop and check. Then, perhaps quick draw the chaingun. Heh.

Of course, once I can afford the XP for Super Heavy, Quick Draw will have to go, but oh well.
---
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the **** has my script?"
#8bass_god6790Posted 7/24/2012 8:30:41 PM(edited)
When I started, I thought "Tech? HA! i hate defense" ... ... how wrong i was.

I was in match where no-one was defending our flag so i decided to just purchase the Tech (with xp) and do it. I racked up 20+ kills most of which on cappers. Unfortunately it was too little too late :/, tho i did take first for the team :)

Moral of the story? play what YOU'RE good at, and play for the TEAM. you'll get much more XP and you'll enjoy the game more as well

I still change it up when needed, especially when our team desperately needs a capper, or base defense is taken care of
---
"I Bent My Wookie" -- Ralph Wiggum
#9cygnusx26Posted 7/25/2012 12:25:11 AM
every medium class is easy to play. Juggernault is pretty effective and easy.
infil can play offense or def with jackal and mines
#10JonWood007Posted 7/25/2012 2:05:43 PM
Soldier is the best class for a newb. It is very well balanced.

Light classes (pathfinder, sentinel, infiltrator) are very fast moving, but have little health. Pathfinder is almost like a light soldier or brute. You get a light spinfusor and a shotgun. Its good for capping flags. Not a huge damage dealer though.

Sentinel is the sniper class. I find it to be near worthless tbqh. The weapons are just weak....takes 5 fully charged sniper shots to take out a heavy class. Around 2 for light classes, but it's hard to aim at someone travelling 200 kph with flag.

Infiltrator is a good offensive class. The SMG is decent, and you can get some explosive weapons like stealth spinfusor or jackal for it. It's sticky bombs are great generator killers. Also, you can go invisible for short periods of time.

The medium classes (soldier, technician, raider) are well balanced. Have a decent amount of health, and a decent amount of speed. They take more punishment and deal more damage than light classes while still maintaining good mobility.

Soldier, as I mentioned, is best for a newb. Its assault rifle is decent, and the thumper is good for close range situations too. It's very balanced.

Raider is good for attacking stuff....it's arx buster is good in close quarters and against generators, but the smg is better for more open areas. It's very situational in my experience.

Technician is meant for base defense...you repair stuff, get mini turrets. Comes with a nice SMG, but you can also get other weapons for it as well.

Heavy classes are basically tanks as far as damage goes (both taking it and dealing it), but they're very....clumsy. Their mobility is terrible. I find them easy to kill in open spaces unless the player is VERY good. They run out of steam too fast. I will say if they hit you tho, it hurts. They can more or less one hit kill a light class in the right situation.

The juggernaut is good for both attack and defense. It comes with a spinfusor, which is accurate, and a mortar, which takes skill to use. On the defense, you can spam mortars down corridors to take out attackers, and use spinfusor in appropriate situations. On the attack, they can use the mortar to bombard the base, can snipe turrets with spinfusor, and attacking the generator, they do a ton of damage, everything i said about defense, they can also use on the attack.

Doombringer is okay. It's mainly defensive, it sucks on the offensive. The minigun is good. I think it runs out of steam faster than other heavy classes tho. The force fields and stuff are good at stopping flag cappers. They also have lock on missiles which are nice at sniping incoming attackers. Best used as flag defense. I've seen good doombringers, in addition to laying forcefields and mines, to use their own bodies to stop would be flag stealers.

Brute is good at attack and defense. Mainly attack though. It's like a super heavy pathfinder. It gets a very powerful spinfusor, and a decent shotgun. The spinfusor is a decent general weapon and can snipe turrets and stuff. it also has fractal grenades, which are those annoying things in generator rooms that shoot lights everywhere and kill people. Good for attacking generator rooms.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768