Class for a new player?

#11mmSNAKEPosted 7/25/2012 3:03:56 PM
Sentinel is the sniper class. I find it to be near worthless tbqh. The weapons are just weak....takes 5 fully charged sniper shots to take out a heavy class. Around 2 for light classes, but it's hard to aim at someone travelling 200 kph with flag.

Sent is far from worthless, in right hands it's the biggest defensive asset. You aren't supposed to shoot heavy classes. Also you normally have to either land 1 shot to a capper (because they are hurt as they grab the flag) or you hit once after they leave the flag stand in which case they will most likely be hurt from whatever people are throwing at it.

A good sent will outscore everyone and still be a massive defensive credit.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#12eharper256Posted 7/25/2012 3:51:23 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Doombringer is okay. It's mainly defensive, it sucks on the offensive. The minigun is good. I think it runs out of steam faster than other heavy classes tho. The force fields and stuff are good at stopping flag cappers. They also have lock on missiles which are nice at sniping incoming attackers. Best used as flag defense. I've seen good doombringers, in addition to laying forcefields and mines, to use their own bodies to stop would be flag stealers.

Though what you've said isn't entirely false, I've seen some very strong offensive Doombringers, actually. Sticking mines and forcefields in the enemy base to piss them off is actually genius if done right. This type needs the dumbfire missile launcher + chain cannon ideally, though.

Also, as already noted, a good Sentinel is frankly just not funny. It just has the highest learning curve of all, adjusting to the hitscan and leading a ridiculously fast moving target are totally viable skills. You don't shoot heavies. Interestingly, the best ones can also work as Anti-Chasers, helping to give your Pathfinder a clean getaway.
---
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the **** has my script?"
#13Freak ShowPosted 8/8/2012 1:30:34 PM(edited)
Get Brute. They make the other team rage so hard.

Extended Fractals and safety third. Ski indoors get ultra kills and watch the rage. Works too well in low lvl games. Higher level play people can get around them a lot of the times.

You won't actually learn how to play well but who cares! lol
---
"The reason i love the $ store is I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something" - Trailer trash on the news
#14dark lancerPosted 8/8/2012 1:59:38 PM
If you're going to play a sniper, the best way to make the other team hate you is to take one or two shots from one place, then book it to some other place and shoot from there. If you're the kind of guy who likes to snipe from the same position over and over, you're not going to have a fun time.

As a Tribes sniper, keep in mind that wounding a target is often as good as getting a head shot. If you can get a flag defender or three to start chasing you ahead of the rest of your tribe's offensive wave, you'll make things much easier for your team. Some snipers in Ascend seem to be from the TF2 school of sniping.
---
The greatest injustice of our time is motivated by the irrational fear of children.
[Papal Crusaders]
#15BIadeBIadePosted 8/8/2012 3:14:03 PM
Freak Show posted...

Extended Fractals and safety third. Ski indoors get ultra kills and watch the rage. Works too well in low lvl games. Higher level play people can get around them a lot of the times.

You're the worst kind of person.
---
Rift - (Inactive) Rioreia @ Threesprings <Transience> 11/11 Conq, 5/8
LoL - aljskdfasdf XBL - BladeBlade PSO2 - Rasmolov @ Ship 10
#16dark lancerPosted 8/8/2012 6:18:37 PM
Another thought I had was that you shouldn't expect to stick to one role in a given Tribes battle. Someone needs to cap the flag, and it may as well be you. If the base installations are down, drop your rifle and pick up a repair pack. If someone's running with your flag, go pursue him. If your flag cappers are having trouble getting to the flag, switch to heavy and blast their defenses to pieces. In Tribes the team comes before you, and you have to be dynamic and learn to wear multiple hats.
---
The greatest injustice of our time is motivated by the irrational fear of children.
[Papal Crusaders]
#17Freak ShowPosted 8/10/2012 12:02:30 PM
BIadeBIade posted...
Freak Show posted...

Base disruption is a valid tactic IMO :p
---
"The reason i love the $ store is I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something" - Trailer trash on the news
#18BIadeBIadePosted 8/10/2012 2:24:46 PM
Freak Show posted...
BIadeBIade posted...
Freak Show posted...

Base disruption is a valid tactic IMO :p

It is, but Fractals are honestly the most toxic piece of equipment in this game.
They promote stupid, gimpy suicidal play and reward people who do nothing but jump into bases with kill after kill and easy flag captures. I would love it if HiRez removed fractals from the game completely and just buffed the brute's Gladiator and other weapons to actually give it other options in CTF rather than just committing mindless fractalcide over and over.
---
Rift - (Inactive) Rioreia @ Threesprings <Transience> 11/11 Conq, 5/8
LoL - aljskdfasdf XBL - BladeBlade PSO2 - Rasmolov @ Ship 10
#19TychoDurandalPosted 8/12/2012 1:59:17 AM
Dinglesteed posted...
Bought the Steam Starter Pack and unlocked the Raider class (thought he looked awesome) and like him quite a bit. I am pretty awful at hitting the sticky grenades though :(

I was kind of curious as to how the Doombringer is? Is it a good class for a new player or should I stick with a basic soldier or whatever?

Any answers are welcome as long as they are helpful! Thanks

Above all, I would suggest unlocking classes based on what you find you usually enjoy most in other games. Tribes is pretty unique in a lot of ways, but for instance I usually play the fast, low health/high speed characters in most games, and am more comfortable trying to outmaneuver someone than I am trying to sit there with an assault rifle. I also tend to snipe in most FPS games, so I unlocked Pathfinder and Sentinel first.

Really, every class is good and bad, both in terms of their general pros and cons, and in terms of the skill of the player involved. A fully mastered Doombringer is a nasty class...unless the person playing it royally sucks at it. Same goes all around.

As for DMB (which isn't one of my best classes, admittedly), they have more versatility than people seem to think at first. They can either take a defensive role (either as the heavy-on-flag or midfield as high flier/vehicle counter operative with missiles - though the saber launcher blows against any player with a shred of intellect and it won't kill them, it CAN make a shrike peel away from chasing a flag) or a direct offensive role (usually with the HBL and Titan combo, attacking gen rooms and such). On maps where the generators are more important (and against teams using more powered defenses), a DMB gen attacker with those unlocks, in close quarters, can be a fiend. If you're up against a poor team, you will sometimes get a massive response...ie, if 4-6 people come to root you out of their gen room, you've just taken out more than 25% of the team minimum (even if you die, they're out of the fight and ignoring objectives).

Drageth posted...
Pathfinder: Anything other than HoF
Infil: Offense
Sentinel: Defense
Soldier: Defense/Hof
Tech: Defense
Raider: Offense
Brute: Offense
Doombringer: HoF
Juggernaut: Offense

I did want to quote that post, just to mention that no class is ever set in one role...and, being creative, you can find a lot of ways to break the mold with some classes. Examples:

1) Both Pathfinder and Infiltrator, with the Super Heavy perk, can actually be nasty against flag grabbers. Infis in particular I love to stealth while HoFing, and let their cappers wonder what just killed them ;) Pathfinder with the Jumper pack and Super Heavy perk can also be great vs. flag grabbers, but your aim has to be perfect (takes a lot of work).

2) Juggies can work just fine as HoF players, if you do it right. A well-timed mortar can act as body block backup, and can save your team a point once you're good at it.

3) Sentinel...just as good on offense as defense, but their learning curve is probably the highest. A good offensive SEN can pick apart chasers long before they can stop a flag grab, and can turn the tide in a game.

There are examples for every class, so don't get stuck in a single mold or role. Above all else, find your comfort zones and weak points. If you're not good at dueling, figure out ways to harass enemies instead. Someone mentioned Quality > Quantity already, so even if your score is low, if you get half a team chasing you, you're doing a damn good job.
---
Disgaea 4 maps: Zerix_Dragonkin 2159 and Khirashi 583, both CP maps! Please rate so I can get CP back
#20sneakysnakePosted 8/31/2012 2:51:06 AM
it cant be helped
---
PSN: sneakysnake128