Thoughts on the new Tech items?

#1Xion350Posted 8/22/2012 8:26:56 AM
I've only messed around with them in training mode, but I'm curious what other people thought.
---
Shikou Mibuya: I'll save you little boy! Let's go to a world only with men! A dazzling world!
Fumiko: He doesn't like sausages. Too bad.(Castle of Shikigami 3)
#2Danzorz88Posted 8/22/2012 4:47:35 PM
I didn't play very long, but I can say that the new turret is definitely fun. I can't say if it's better or worse yet, but it's fun.

It's also the only item I bought and the only one I plan on buying. I can't give up my thumper, and the new repair "grenade" didn't really convince me yet.
---
My PC: http://www.sysprofile.de/id150256
#3Shrike55Posted 8/22/2012 8:28:39 PM
I have not unlocked them yet however I have seen them in action and have to say the new turret is pretty underpowered. It's firing rate seems way too slow and the damage inadequate. Maybe it was not fully upgraded but that was my initial impressions and I could easily be wrong.
#4Hugh ManateePosted 8/23/2012 11:41:42 AM
Nah, I've tried it, it's projectile is way slower, even at it's max range, the guy has to be like standing still to get hit. You can set up neat little traps, like when juggs are spamming on drydock's cliff or you can set it up around a blind corner, but it's not any better then the laser turret outdoors. Indoors if you set up a few they're pretty mean, they can shoot down halls well though.

the repair mine is awesome, you can make "shrike nest", where you put a bunch down and hover over then for repairs without getting out. They work with your repair gun, and/or you can leave them around stuff you don't want to stand by, like if there's an inf in your base, drop the thingees by your gen and take a walk. I will definitely miss the quickfuses but these little guys are very useful. It also gives you an excuse to take the sawed-off(my favorite gun... BAM! BAM!). Basically it lets the TCN play more roaming LD, it's weapons are very effective in a brawl.

The new plasma thing is sorta underwhelming, it's ok to spam the base for cloaked infs i guess but I don't see how it's a replacement for the strong burst of the thumper or the DPS of the TCN4.
---
______________________OMNISLASHES next user!!!
\________________o_o__|====<(`..*)>
#5Anubis_DracPosted 8/23/2012 7:15:15 PM
I think the new Tech items are pretty awful generally speaking.

Mind you, I haven't played for a few weeks now, so I spent most of today's playtime shaking off the rust, but from what I've seen, there isn't much new or interesting to the way Techs play. The only thing that seems like it might be worth the unlock is that nifty auto-repair kit.

The TC24 is terrible. The only thing it really has going for it is the rate of fire and clip size, but the damage is abysmal. However, the real problem is that even if they were to boost the damage, the functionality of the TC24 is too similar to the Thumper's domain of use to bother with. I've been hoping that the Soldier or TCN would get something along the lines of the HNY Badger, so this TC24 is a huge disappointment.

The new turret is also a huge disappointment. Compared to the rate of fire and utility the test version had, the release has been ridiculously nerfed. As someone pointed out and I eventually confirmed in-game today, the turret in fact fires at such a slow rate (and fires such a slow projectile) that you can get to it and melee it with impunity. Not only have I not been killed a single time by it, but it doesn't even hit reliably enough to deal significant damage. Sad turret is sad.

No comment on the skin.
#6twinsfan19Posted 8/29/2012 3:12:44 PM
Hugh Manatee posted...
Nah, I've tried it, it's projectile is way slower, even at it's max range, the guy has to be like standing still to get hit. You can set up neat little traps, like when juggs are spamming on drydock's cliff or you can set it up around a blind corner, but it's not any better then the laser turret outdoors. Indoors if you set up a few they're pretty mean, they can shoot down halls well though.

the repair mine is awesome, you can make "shrike nest", where you put a bunch down and hover over then for repairs without getting out. They work with your repair gun, and/or you can leave them around stuff you don't want to stand by, like if there's an inf in your base, drop the thingees by your gen and take a walk. I will definitely miss the quickfuses but these little guys are very useful. It also gives you an excuse to take the sawed-off(my favorite gun... BAM! BAM!). Basically it lets the TCN play more roaming LD, it's weapons are very effective in a brawl.

The new plasma thing is sorta underwhelming, it's ok to spam the base for cloaked infs i guess but I don't see how it's a replacement for the strong burst of the thumper or the DPS of the TCN4.

Agreed. From what I've seen new gun and new turret aren't very good. The repair mine is cool though, for exactly the reasons you specified...lets you run around with the sawed-off :)
---
Currently Playing: SC2, Tribes: Ascend, TF2